Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 3:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
RE: what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
(June 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(May 17, 2014 at 5:20 pm)Tonus Wrote: I suppose that --barring a lot of context-- most individuals would consider getting what they want as a good thing.
I can think of a lot of instances where people wanted things that you and I both agree were immoral.
That would fall under the "context" I mentioned above.
Statler Waldorf Wrote:
Tonus Wrote:I don't know if there are any in particular that they should use, but I think that it can be beneficial for a community or society to examine others to see if there are ways to improve their own laws, customs, morals, and/or ethics.
Is it morally wrong for one society to exploit another?
That depends. What do they stand to gain?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our mor...
I see Chad is back to Gish Galloping to bury his claims behind a wall of text no one has time to sift through, when he's not sniveling and crying that "people being mean to him on the internet" proves his point that "atheists are bad people," after deliberately provoking a righteous indignation from secular person by telling them they were an amoral cretin.

83% of the prison population is Christian.
0.2% is atheist. And yet his mind is still made up.

Religious people are 1/3 more likely to be rapists and child rapists:

Quote:The proportion of all prisoners declaring any faith compared with those with none is about 2:1 but among those convicted of sex crime it rises to 3:1. The trend is marked across many faiths, including Buddhism, Anglicanism, Free Church Christianity and Judaism.

Maybe if we add a "Thou Shalt Stop Raping Children" commandment to the bible, sexual abuse of children, since it's positively correlated with religion, will finally decrease.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/clergy_sex11.htm

http://epiphenom.fieldofscience.com/2010...re-of.html

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...d-abusers/

Murder rate is also directly correlated with religion:
[Image: 4yqatumy.jpg]

The more Christian a population is, the more murder there will be.

And yet Chad is still claiming "using fowl language on the internet" outweighs any statistical fact.

By his own book's definition:

Quote:Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death

He has demonstrated himself to be a less moral person than any non-believer on this forum.
RE: what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
(June 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: 83% of the prison population is Christian.
Whether christian or non-christians, they all disobeyed Christ. If they had obeyed him they wouldn't have committed the crimes.
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our mor...
(June 3, 2014 at 9:17 pm)Lek Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: 83% of the prison population is Christian.
Whether christian or non-christians, they all disobeyed Christ. If they had obeyed him they wouldn't have committed the crimes.

So they weren't True Scots-- I mean Christians?
(June 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 9:17 pm)Lek Wrote: Whether christian or non-christians, they all disobeyed Christ. If they had obeyed him they wouldn't have committed the crimes.

So they weren't True Scots-- I mean Christians?

What I mean is are they criminals because they're christians or because they're not following Christ? Yeah, they weren't true Scots. Also atheists tend to be in higher than average income groups and are, therefore, less inclined to commit crimes. They're less likely to live in high crime areas such as ghettos and inner cities. There's more to the statistics than what they claim to believe about God.
(June 3, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Lek Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: So they weren't True Scots-- I mean Christians?

What I mean is are they criminals because they're christians or because they're not following Christ? Yeah, they weren't true Scots. Also atheists tend to be in higher than average income groups and are, therefore, less inclined to commit crimes. They're less likely to live in high crime areas such as ghettos and inner cities. There's more to the statistics than what they claim to believe about God.

And there's an inverse relationship with religion to IQ.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosi...telligence

So "they have better incomes" is just observation.

And religious people tend to be less educated, and not have good sex lives.

http://www.atheistscholar.org/atheistpsy...phics.aspx

Sexually repressed lower IQ people with less education are more likely to commit more crimes and get caught.

What's your point?
(June 3, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Lek Wrote: What I mean is are they criminals because they're christians or because they're not following Christ? Yeah, they weren't true Scots. Also atheists tend to be in higher than average income groups and are, therefore, less inclined to commit crimes. They're less likely to live in high crime areas such as ghettos and inner cities. There's more to the statistics than what they claim to believe about God.

And there's an inverse relationship with religion to IQ.

Sexually repressed lower IQ people with less education are more likely to commit more crimes and get caught.

What's your point?

All I have to do is look at your sources.
RE: what are we supposed to say
(June 3, 2014 at 8:17 pm)Tonus Wrote: That would fall under the "context" I mentioned above.

So then there is something else that you are using as your standard of right and wrong, what is it?

Quote:That depends. What do they stand to gain?

Why does it matter?

(June 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: …to bury his claims behind a wall of text no one has time to sift through…

Slow reader?

Quote: 83% of the prison population is Christian.

How many were Christians when they actually committed the crimes they were convicted of?
Does a group being underrepresented in the prison population demonstrate they are morally superior to other groups?

Quote: Religious people are 1/3 more likely to be rapists and child rapists:

How do you know this?

Quote:The proportion of all prisoners declaring any faith compared with those with none is about 2:1 but among those convicted of sex crime it rises to 3:1. The trend is marked across many faiths, including Buddhism, Anglicanism, Free Church Christianity and Judaism.

Again, what were the percentages when these people actually committed the act? I think you need to take a few courses in statistics if you actually think this supports your case any.

Quote: Maybe if we add a "Thou Shalt Stop Raping Children" commandment to the bible, sexual abuse of children, since it's positively correlated with religion, will finally decrease.

This is the bait and switch fallacy. You’re providing statistics dealing with religion in general to try and prove points pertaining to Christianity in particular. Secondly, the websites you are pulling this information from are dubious at best (using user-generated sites such as Wikipedia no less). You’re not even very proficient at supporting your irrelevant points I am afraid.

Quote: The more Christian a population is, the more murder there will be.

Correlation equals causation fallacy.

Quote: And yet Chad is still claiming "using fowl [sic] language on the internet" outweighs any statistical fact.

Fowl language? Duck! Goose! Swan!!

Quote:Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death

Yes.

Quote: He has demonstrated himself to be a less moral person than any non-believer on this forum.

According to which definition of morality?

(June 3, 2014 at 9:17 pm)Lek Wrote: Whether christian or non-christians, they all disobeyed Christ. If they had obeyed him they wouldn't have committed the crimes.

Yes, and he does nothing to support his claim that these people were Christians when they actually committed the crime.

(June 3, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: And there's an inverse relationship with religion to IQ.

Wikipedia? Seriously? If you’re IQ is so high then why do you insist on trying to prove your points with user-generated cites that disallow the use of primary research?

Quote: And religious people tend to be less educated…

Did you read your own Wikipedia article?

“On the individual level, the education level is positively correlated with a belief in a God In African countries…”

“The frequency of church visits is however positively correlated with education level in English-speaking countries as well as in Protestantic Europe.”

Oops!

(June 3, 2014 at 11:38 pm)Lek Wrote: All I have to do is look at your sources.

What!? You're not super impressed by Wikipedia and AtheistScholar.org? Tongue I am just waiting for him to use Bill Maher as a source Tongue
(June 3, 2014 at 11:38 pm)Lek Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: And there's an inverse relationship with religion to IQ.

What's your point?

All I have to do is look at your sources.

What source do you have a problem with, the source you disagree with that compiled unbiased studies information in a manner you don't want to hear?

This is sourced material, you and Waldorf want to pretend it's inaccurate because it upsets you, the same as the rampant sex abuse and child molestation in every Christian
denomination.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why...story.html
(June 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 8:17 pm)Tonus Wrote: That would fall under the "context" I mentioned above.
So then there is something else that you are using as your standard of right and wrong, what is it?
Experience, common sense, empathy, sympathy... any number of factors will help me to determine what is the right or wrong decision to make in most situations.
Statler Waldorf Wrote:
Tonus Wrote:That depends. What do they stand to gain?
Why does it matter?
It seems to me that it is the first step in the basis for anyone's morality. What do they stand to gain, and what are the potential costs.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1581 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Morality Kingpin 101 6287 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1564 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 7142 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 9810 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2505 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Morality Agnostico 337 39670 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11869 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4301 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 24284 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1