Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
Someone on another Atheist chat gave me a 'cheat sheet' which had all the answers to what to say when Christians ask stuff long time ago, but i lost it.

but seems frequently christian people tell me that without god we are all douches and if it wasn't for god there would be no good in mankind - so what do we say again for that?

sometimes i feel like 99% of people are pretty mean and it feels pretty spiritual when someone is nice to me, but i dont agree that without Christianity people are bad cus i know lotta nice people who aren't Christians. and seems to me like people on christian forums are the most mean, they don't use bad words but the things they say are much more mean IMO
RE: what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
You're supposed to ask yourself where your morals come from and answer accordingly.

Does anyone else see this as somewhat of a sociopathic question to ask?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
Ask them what they mean by morality. If it has nothing to do with the well-being of sentient beings but instead arbitrary rules established by an ancient deity on a long lost stone tablet, then they're not talking about morality. If they reply that it is the subject that deals with how human beings ought to treat others, then tell him you decide how to treat others the same way they do, or at least should: by experiencing suffering and well-being and using your brain to figure out how to best bring about results that multiply the latter and diminish the former.
(May 11, 2014 at 9:44 pm)Faith No More Wrote: You're supposed to ask yourself where your morals come from and answer accordingly.

Does anyone else see this as somewhat of a sociopathic question to ask?

Idk where my morals come from tbh, i just feel like some things are right, like helping people in need... so as atheists should we not be judgmental between right and wrong? scientifically speaking, where do morals usually come from? A quick search basically says what our parents teach us?
Random thought

"Do as you would be done by.... Before you are done by as you did"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
One's morality comes directly from one's self.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
cool yeah ill write that down, basically morality is how u treat others and you treat people how u want to be treated - everything else is christian BS...god i wish i thought of that earlier, i always think of the best things to say AFTER the conversation it pisses me off!
That is my understanding of morality.

No deity required
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'd say I get my morality from other people, and personal life experiences. Reading books also helps, but in the end I make my own choices of how to live my life. It's not that hard to figure out, and it's not like christians follow everything in the bible anyway. If they did, they'd be in prison.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 11, 2014 at 9:48 pm)leodeo Wrote: Idk where my morals come from tbh, i just feel like some things are right, like helping people in need... so as atheists should we not be judgmental between right and wrong? scientifically speaking, where do morals usually come from? A quick search basically says what our parents teach us?

You've never stopped to analyze why those things seem right?

Yes, much of our morals are instilled into us by our parents and the culture around us, but morality is complex and doesn't have one simple source. Morality is about understanding what is a good life and how to live it, so much of it comes from intellect and empathy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1019 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Morality Kingpin 101 5267 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1372 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6037 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8589 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2261 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Morality Agnostico 337 34582 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4065 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 22766 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1