Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long and the Short of it.
RE: The Long and the Short of it.
(May 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:That doesn't change the fact that it's clearly illogical to dismiss God because of lack of empirical evidence.
You assert that it is logical to believe in the illogical.

I'll wait for the tangible evidence. Give me a call when you find some.
Nope. That's 2 illogical statements to you. Not going very well is it?
Really, fr0d0? Silly word games? It would be illogical to say that a lack of evidence to support the claim that god exists proves that he does not. It is not illogical to admit that the evidence points to answers other than god and decide that 'god' is the least likely thing to exist according to the known laws of the universe.

An argument about logic. Heheh! From the guy who says, "God just is." The irony is not lost on me. Good show!
I think what fr0do was saying is that the demand for empirical evidence for God is an illogical one and that it cannot be met. It's a loaded and rigged demand from the beginning. I don't think fr0do was making a comment about evidence in general.
Oh. Well then. I... umm...

Demanding it may be illogical, because it's quite clear that there simply isn't any. Being of the opinion that anything that exists, including gods, should be provable via empirical evidence is not illogical. Especially when the 'thing' in question is supposed to be a sentient being that wishes to be worshiped! It is illogical that there is no empirical evidence that god exists... if he does, indeed, exist.
Lol Here come the circles! Tongue

This is where belief comes in. I know you may not think this way, but from a believer's perspective, everything can be and is empirical proof for God. The hitch for atheists, of course, is that you cannot have it proven that this is God...you must believe it.

Think of the universe, for a moment, as a strange structure with one inner building and one outer building. The inner building is the material, physical reality of the universe which we live in. The outer building is God and the spiritual realm which He resides in and is, in fact, synonymous with. Imagine that this outer structure has a hand in keeping the inner one together and up and running.

From the inside of the inner building, it is impossible to comprehend the entirety of the outer structure. However, since the outer building has an affect on and is, in fact, keeping the inner building working, one can begin to understand the mechanizations of the outer building by observing how the inner one works and what results lie before you in the form of the physical reality.

Now just imagine, like I said, that the inner building is our universe, and that the outer building is God. Smile This requires belief; no hard evidence or shred of physical 'proof' can be provided for the outer building, but by observing th einner building and assuming the outer, we begin to understand the inner building much more than we would without the outer one.
(May 18, 2010 at 6:55 pm)Watson Wrote: Lol Here come the circles! Tongue

*laughs* That's the point, exactly. It's a fun game sometimes.

(May 18, 2010 at 6:55 pm)Watson Wrote: This is where belief comes in. I know you may not think this way, but from a believer's perspective, everything can be and is empirical proof for God. The hitch for atheists, of course, is that you cannot have it proven that this is God...you must believe it.

Think of the universe, for a moment, as a strange structure with one inner building and one outer building. The inner building is the material, physical reality of the universe which we live in. The outer building is God and the spiritual realm which He resides in and is, in fact, synonymous with. Imagine that this outer structure has a hand in keeping the inner one together and up and running.

From the inside of the inner building, it is impossible to comprehend the entirety of the outer structure. However, since the outer building has an affect on and is, in fact, keeping the inner building working, one can begin to understand the mechanizations of the outer building by observing how the inner one works and what results lie before you in the form of the physical reality.

Now just imagine, like I said, that the inner building is our universe, and that the outer building is God. Smile This requires belief; no hard evidence or shred of physical 'proof' can be provided for the outer building, but by observing th einner building and assuming the outer, we begin to understand the inner building much more than we would without the outer one.

I've read better sci-fi, but that wasn't terrible. Haha! The first line nailed it: "This is where belief comes in." The short of it is this: I do not believe a word of that is true. In fact, I think the only thing at this point that could convince me god(s) exist would be to meet one and have him prove it to me.

Same goes for psychics, aliens, and elves.
I would point out here that you probably already have met God and just don't recognize it as such...but we know where that will lead. Tongue

And, as we have also discussed, belief itself is a choice from my perspective, and not a choice from your's. It's all so confusing, haha!
(May 18, 2010 at 6:55 pm)Watson Wrote: Now just imagine, like I said, that the inner building is our universe, and that the outer building is God. Smile This requires belief; no hard evidence or shred of physical 'proof' can be provided for the outer building, but by observing th einner building and assuming the outer, we begin to understand the inner building much more than we would without the outer one.

You say that belief in the outer building (god) gives 'greater understanding' of the inner building (the material Universe).

What, exactly, does this 'greater understanding' consist of? What phenomena can you understand with reference to god, but not otherwise?

I can see some pseudo-philosophical gibberish in the offing here.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
Human nature, human emotions, human experiences, serendipitous moments, and one of the most important, love. Smile
(May 18, 2010 at 7:28 pm)Watson Wrote: Human nature, human emotions, human experiences, serendipitous moments, and one of the most important, love. Smile

Thats not much of an answer.

What does your greater understanding consist of? How does 'god' help you understand, say, human emotions better? What insights do you have on emotions that you wouldn't have without 'god'?
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 24572 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus
Brick An hour long stay WinterHold 3 993 November 25, 2017 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Religious education (short video) Zenith 15 2382 January 21, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long Violeta-1998 51 7251 November 21, 2016 at 10:23 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Short message for the Religious Heat 6 1569 December 22, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Long term advice when debating theists. Brian37 33 7075 May 6, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  And if you are wrong , eternity is a long time. Artur Axmann 188 54272 June 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: archangle
  Our work isn't done by a long shot Rokcet Scientist 0 1164 November 28, 2011 at 6:18 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Short facebook debate for other people's amusement EggSpurt 8 3516 April 22, 2010 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Minimalist