Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Trailer
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Trailer
I got goosebumps from watching the trailer because it looks like so much fun.
Can't say I'm excited... 4, 5, and 6 all sucked... and the first three were only 'alright' to 'pretty good'. I'm rather of the opinion that they need to be remade from scratch starting at 4. The acting by the 'main characters' was the low point in each of these (imo).

The books are a masterpiece... the later movies are but an insult to them. :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Can't wait to see what the film directors have done with the last book. And just for completeness (yes, my CDO is opperating againBig Grin) I have seen all the movies and have come to the same conclusion as many...."Not as good as the Books!"

As for getting children to read...it has worked a treat for me and my children ...after all is said and done, I think children need a little magic in their lives....(plenty time for the faith based 'party poopers' to come along when the grow up IMHO) Angel Cloud
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think the opposite. The books are badly written, have the same recycled storyline (apart from the 7th), and are just dull dull dull. It's no wonder Rowling was surprised when she found out her books were fantasy; if you are writing fantasy without realising it then its going to be piss poor.

The best book was the 3rd, mainly because it brought in a new character with whom Harry could actually relate to, and it was a very large twist at the end which pulled at everyone's heartstrings. Still, the 3rd movie was far better than the actual book.
I enjoyed the books(and I read a LOT, ask Kichi) though didn't read them more than once.

The movies I also enjoyed, but I try to avoid making comparisons between books and their movie

derivations. Not always sucessfully, David Lynch's Dune being the classic example of cinematic bibliocide.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I really liked the first Harry Potter and have seen it several times. I've seen all the others,but have enjoyed each one a little less. I suspect this may be due to my disappointment over the dearth of sex magic. If I had by druthers, I'd druther there was a plethora.

I recently also got hold of all the novels in talking book form,read by Stephen Fry,they're pretty good too, but a bit long,at approx half an houir for each chapter. So far I'm at chapter 11 of "The Philosopher's Stone". At this rate,I expect to be finished by about March 2015.

I think I'll wait for the last one on Bluray and rent it on a cheap Tuesday ($1.95)
Can't wait to watch it, i've watch all other films.
[Image: britishatheist.jpg]
(June 30, 2010 at 4:10 am)Tiberius Wrote: I think the opposite. The books are badly written, have the same recycled storyline (apart from the 7th), and are just dull dull dull. It's no wonder Rowling was surprised when she found out her books were fantasy; if you are writing fantasy without realising it then its going to be piss poor.

Recycled like so?:

Hello Harry, how are you this summer? 'Oh... a bit droll'.
School? 'Why yes, I think I will.'
An adventure where you don't die? 'Sounds fun, where do we start?'
How about with some horribly evil wizard trying to kill you? 'Brilliant, where to next?'
<Insert mystery, magic, and an intriguing read>
Defeat or escape from Voldemort! 'Hooray! I'm still alive!'
See you next book, Harry! 'You as well, reader!'

If you call that repetitive... chain me to the wall. Sleepy

Quote:The best book was the 3rd, mainly because it brought in a new character with whom Harry could actually relate to, and it was a very large twist at the end which pulled at everyone's heartstrings. Still, the 3rd movie was far better than the actual book.
There is no 'best book'... there is one large flowing story from the beginning to the end. You can pick up the first book at the beginning, and read all the way through to the end of the seventh without feeling you've missed a moment. The story starts out pretty simple... and like shattering glass: spreads out in complexity with almost every chapter (if not every one). And the ending wraps up the story neatly, whilst giving fans room with which to imagine 'what happens next'. Not to suggest you aren't entitled to your opinion... but I just don't see how it is not a masterpiece on level with Tolkien. Everything that is epic about The Hobbit + LotR is visible in Harry Potter. Or are you suggesting that all fantasy is trash? 0.o

The third movie was the best of the movies, and as with the two before it: worth a few hours every now and again. After that though, the movies became absolute shit, not worth watching for anything more than the pretty effects. Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'll admit that I've not done much with the regular Harry Potter series in a while, but I have been discovering some interesting fanfics from TVTropes.

One of them is an interesting take on Harry Potter where Harry's aunt marries a scientist, who instills in Harry an overpowering sense of rationality. Needless to say, there's a lot of conflict between Harry and Hogwarts, not even getting into the conflict with Voldemort. Warning: the story moves at an extremely glacial pace.

On the other edge of the spectrum is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V4VxlsMuQ4
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Whilst the books are entertaining, they're the literary equivalent of candy floss: enjoyable, but bad for you in large doses, made of artificially coloured spun sugar and sold by gypsies (no, wait, forget the last couple). That's why, IMO, they translate well into film; they're mainly plot, while the characters are so two-dimensional that they make Dick Dastardly look like a complex, multi-faceted individual with interesting psychological development. Accordingly, Daniel Radcliffe could be out-acted by a cardboard cut-out of William Shatner. Still, all the films were pretty god apart from the last one, which would have been more accurately titled as 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Hormonal Angst', or 'Harry Potter and the Unused Condom'.

This film looks to be much better, but, as people have said, the decision to split the last book into two films will likely mean that there'll be more padding than on David Icke's bedroom walls.
(July 3, 2010 at 9:33 am)Rev. Rye Wrote:

This was pant-wettingly funny.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie Trailer heads up thread. Gawdzilla Sama 483 44943 September 24, 2024 at 4:27 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Cats musical trailer Fake Messiah 5 605 July 27, 2019 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Star Wars: The Last Jedi FIRST TRAILER! Aegon 93 14538 November 2, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Movie trailer analysis dyresand 25 4536 June 12, 2016 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  12 New Harry Potter Stories for December 2014 ManMachine 0 678 December 18, 2014 at 9:19 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  The Walking Dead and Broadwalk Empire Season 3 trailer Something completely different 2 1575 July 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Skyline - trailer. ib.me.ub 7 1890 November 11, 2010 at 12:01 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub