Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 11:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detecting design or intent in nature
RE: Detecting design or intent in nature
(January 16, 2015 at 1:15 am)IATIA Wrote:
(January 15, 2015 at 11:37 pm)Heywood Wrote: I agree that to observe requires an intellect.
Another sourceless claim without proof or evidence.

I guess if one cannot beat them, join them.

I assert that the original intellect and observer is a pink unicorn. I know this to be absolutely true because I have faith that it is true, so I must be right according to your logic.

Strawman much?

Anyways the reason I agree that to observe requires an intellect is that every-time I have come across an observation, I have found it was made by an intellect. I have never come across an observation that was made by something that did not have an intellect.

(January 16, 2015 at 12:26 am)Rhythm Wrote: You either cut it loose, or you have an example of an evolutionary system which does not require intellect, by definition. The implementation was designed, sure, procedural generation is not. The procedure followed by a procedural gen has no requirement of intellect either. It only needs to exist. A random number generator can decide the procedure (or even a wide range of procedures) - and often does. Procedural generation is a function of a universe in which logic is possible and interaction occurs, there is no requirement of intellect - and no specific implementation is required to achieve it (which is why we can make them out of almost anything, string, analog gates, digital circuits....rolls of toilet paper), but also why they are so prevalent in nature with no finesse required on our own part (river systems, stalagtites and stalagmites, snowflakes etc).

That's what you asked for, that's what you got. Don't bitch and moan about a "single example", and then balk when you get it; unless you're determined to make a liar of yourself, again.

River systems, stalagtites and stalagmites, snowflakes....none of these are evolutionary systems.

These examples all fail.
(January 15, 2015 at 11:13 pm)Heywood Wrote: Benny, the evolutionary system which created you is not an example of an evolutionary system known not to have required an intellect because we have no observations of its coming into existence.
No, it's not. It's a example of an evolutionary system whose origins are unkown.

Quote:I know you believe it came into existence without intellect, but that belief of yours is based on faith and not any objective observation.
I've never said this. In fact, I've specifically said I don't make a faith-based stance on evolution, because I have no desire to positively assert relationships which are unknown to me, and which are not even required to understand the evolutionary mechanism.

Quote:My belief that evolutionary systems require intellects is based on observations I have made of evolutionary systems whose circumstances of origination are known to me and I find each an every one of them requires intellect.
Evolution in the universe and the man-made evolutionary systems have not been demonstrated by you to be peers. You have not established that evidence about evolution on a local scale is applicable to evolution on a universal scale.

Quote:Based on observations the proposition that all evolutionary systems require intellect is more likely to be true than the proposition that not all evolutionary systems require intellect.
No, it's not.

Let's take the logical thread: "All animals we know of are organic, i.e. based on carbon compounds. Every specific of organic life is evidence that all life is organic. Therefore, it is most likely that all life forms are organic."

This is a logical fallacy, because we have not established that the specific circumstances on Earth generalize to all possible physical systems which might sustain life. Our evidence doesn't get to "jump" from one context up to a more general one unless we can establish an as-above-so-below relationship.

Or how about this one? All evidence we have of intellect occurs in humans. Therefore, we have mounting evidence that all intelligence in the universe is human. (your evidentiary process in action, here). Therefore, since it is most probably that all intelligence is human, any evolutionary system pre-dating the human intellect has brobably not arisen as a product of design or intelligence.

I don't think you'll accept this line of reasoning, but it is the same (false) process by which you are using evidence about apples to draw probabilistic conclusions about oranges.
(January 16, 2015 at 2:56 am)Heywood Wrote: River systems, stalagtites and stalagmites, snowflakes....none of these are evolutionary systems.

These examples all fail.
Stop deflecting. You have your example, or you have one less observation. I never claimed that any of those things -were-... that would be a consequence of -your- claim. If I wanted to argue that "evolutionary systems" required intellect I'd actually argue -against- procedural gens as "evolutionary systems" (because of all the problems it causes for the claim..as we've seen).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 16, 2015 at 2:56 am)Heywood Wrote: Anyways the reason I agree that to observe requires an intellect is that every-time I have come across an observation, I have found it was made by an intellect. I have never come across an observation that was made by something that did not have an intellect.
Birds, rats, cockroaches, even paramecium observe. So I must assume then that paramecium have intellect. Because paramecium have intellect, I must assume all unicellular lifeforms have intellect.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Plants also observe - and then behave in remarkably specific ways based upon those observations...and even things they couldn't possibly observe. Smart motherfuckers, right there. Which brings us to more amusing consequences of your "argument", so long as you care to cling to it Heywood. If intellect is required (which it isn't), for observation (which it isn't) or evolutionary systems (which it isn't) - then your "god's" intellect could amount to that of paramecium and posies, since we're talking requirements and all.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
How do you have the patience to keep answer Heywoods nonsense?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Just doing my part to beat back the encroaching darkness DBP.
(January 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(January 16, 2015 at 2:56 am)Heywood Wrote: Anyways the reason I agree that to observe requires an intellect is that every-time I have come across an observation, I have found it was made by an intellect. I have never come across an observation that was made by something that did not have an intellect.
Birds, rats, cockroaches, even paramecium observe. So I must assume then that paramecium have intellect. Because paramecium have intellect, I must assume all unicellular lifeforms have intellect.

By intellect I mean an ability to navigate and/or act upon reality.
(January 16, 2015 at 3:18 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(January 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm)IATIA Wrote: Birds, rats, cockroaches, even paramecium observe. So I must assume then that paramecium have intellect. Because paramecium have intellect, I must assume all unicellular lifeforms have intellect.

By intellect I mean an ability to navigate and/or act upon reality.

And how would such an intellect exist without having been evolved?
(January 16, 2015 at 3:18 pm)Heywood Wrote: By intellect I mean an ability to navigate and/or act upon reality.
So you are saying that a paramecium possesses intellect.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3363 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1105 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Dogma of Human Nature WisdomOfTheTrees 15 2667 February 8, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15987 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3877 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Religion had good intentions, but nature has better LivingNumbers6.626 39 9291 December 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: John V
  On the nature of evidence. trmof 125 27876 October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Who can answer? (law of nature) reality.Mathematician 10 3004 June 18, 2014 at 7:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  On the appearance of Design Angrboda 7 1832 March 16, 2014 at 4:04 am
Last Post: xr34p3rx
  Morality in Nature Jiggerj 89 24452 October 4, 2013 at 2:04 am
Last Post: genkaus