Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality in Nature
Morality in Nature
Within either a pack of wolves or lions, when animals that are low in the pecking order try to eat with the alphas, the alphas will snap at them or chase them off. Are the alphas teaching these subordinates that it is wrong to eat with them?
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
RE: Morality in Nature
Nah, the Alphas are just selfish and prideful.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Wolves develop a pecking order that actually reduces aggression in the pack. When all members know their place and a new up and coming male isn't trying to take over they are fairly non violent with one another.

A lower ranked member trying to eat out of turn would involve the higher ranked members snapping at them to remember their place.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(September 23, 2013 at 4:22 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Nah, the Alphas are just selfish and prideful.

But the main alpha will allow (what's next in the pecking order? Lieutenants?) the lieutenants to eat at the same time. If this was pure selfishness they'd all be fighting to eat first. Right?

(September 23, 2013 at 4:27 pm)Rahul Wrote: A lower ranked member trying to eat out of turn would involve the higher ranked members snapping at them to remember their place.

Exactly. And that lower ranked member will learn that it is wrong to eat with those higher up in the pecking order.

I only thought of this because I didn't think morality existed anywhere in nature except for man.

In any social setting in nature where there is a structured hierarchy, the members of these group have to know their place - they have to be 'aware' of their place and follow the rules set by that particular group. Right?
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
(September 23, 2013 at 4:28 pm)Jiggerj Wrote: In any social setting in nature where there is a structured hierarchy, the members of these group have to know their place - they have to be 'aware' of their place and follow the rules set by that particular group. Right?

Yes. The same is true with non-human primates.
You can take the brussels sprouts from my plate without concern, but go for the ribeye and draw back a nub. Morality has nothing to do with it.
(September 23, 2013 at 5:02 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: You can take the brussels sprouts from my plate without concern, but go for the ribeye and draw back a nub. Morality has nothing to do with it.

Because of my thoughts on the wolf and lion (and all social animals) I am forced to play devil's advocate here. I actually agree with you, but I'd like to work on this to figure out why I don't think there's even such a thing as morality anywhere.

We can dislike a lot of things, but that doesn't mean it's right or wrong, or good or bad.

Is it wrong for an adult to have sex with an eleven year old? Western civilization calls it a heinous crime. Much of the Middle East not only considers it NOT wrong, but very right. The only difference is they call it marriage. So, we go to war on this and we win. That makes sex with children wrong. On the other hand, if they win, having sex with children is right. Is that moral? Does might make moral?

JUST BELIEVE IT!
If the only basis of morality in nature comes from survival of the fittest and "might makes right" then it's not really any kind of morality at all. Welcome to naturalism.
(September 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm)Jiggerj Wrote: Within either a pack of wolves or lions, when animals that are low in the pecking order try to eat with the alphas, the alphas will snap at them or chase them off. Are the alphas teaching these subordinates that it is wrong to eat with them?

Naw, they're just saying "you're dead if you touch any of this before I'm done, you lowly peon".
(September 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm)Jiggerj Wrote: Is it wrong for an adult to have sex with an eleven year old? Western civilization calls it a heinous crime. Much of the Middle East not only considers it NOT wrong, but very right. The only difference is they call it marriage. So, we go to war on this and we win. That makes sex with children wrong. On the other hand, if they win, having sex with children is right. Is that moral? Does might make moral?

No. Might does not necessarily make moral. Morality is subjective on some points though.

I don't believe in a god. Nor do I believe in some morality that transcends nature.

There is nothing new with this line of thinking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1889 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10365 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37601 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1344 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8315 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3564 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4446 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 2882 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 6938 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 10955 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm