Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 3:21 pm

Poll: If you had to bet, what would your bet be?
This poll is closed.
Mayweather Win by KO
0%
0 0%
Mayweather Win by Decision
57.14%
4 57.14%
Pacquiao Win by KO
28.57%
2 28.57%
Pacquiao Win by Decision
14.29%
1 14.29%
Too close to call... Draw!
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayweather Vs Pacquiao
RE: Mayweather Vs Pacquiao
I have a hard time picking a winner in this fight (though I'm pulling for Manny). Maybe it will be a controversial draw, and we can wait six damn years for the anti-climactic rematch.
(March 6, 2015 at 11:02 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: I have a hard time picking a winner in this fight (though I'm pulling for Manny). Maybe it will be a controversial draw, and we can wait six damn years for the anti-climactic rematch.

Might actually be worth a daft bet on the draw. Payout will likely be pretty big and it's probably more likely to happen than most other fights, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if this fight is controversial for a dodgy judge's decision.
I'm really excited about this fight too. This has been a long time coming!

Yeah, it's a tough one to call though. Both are undoubtedly great fighters, each with certain advantages over the other.

But, if I had to bet, then it would be Mayweather. He's one of the greatest technicians in boxing history. Within four or five rounds he's already adjusted himself in the most efficient manner possible. One reason for this is because his patience and more defensive style allows him to better calculate his opponent's moves and then (in the latter rounds) enables him to exploit the guy no matter how fast and hard he might be punching. This might look a little "boring" to others, but I think that is what makes his performance so smart and tactical.

That being said, it's definitely not going to be easy for Mayweather to earn points against a boxer like Pacquiao, because Pacquiao is a very fast, accurate, and a hard puncher as well, in addition to having superior footwork and combination attacks than Mayweather. But still, I think Mayweather has a slight advantage over him given the combination of amazing defensive skills and his speedy counter-punches. Furthermore, his punches and the timing of executions are brutally accurate, even more so than Pacquiao's, in my opinion. Like SteelCurtain said, Mayweather doesn't miss. Fighting against Pacquiao, I think the most crucial adjustment on his part is that he's gonna have to fight a little more (or maybe a lot more) aggressively than he usually does, while still maintaining his skillful defensiveness as much as possible. But most likely he's already working on that.

As for the idea that Mayweather was scared to fight Pacquiao, and that that's the reason he's been avoiding him for the last five years or so, that's something quite possible. But, even if that is true, at least that suggests that he is not overconfident of himself, which is a good thing. He understands his opponents well and thus more likely to put enough care and effort in preparing for the upcoming fight. He's also been mocked and taunted by a lot of people and even by his fans for repeatedly refusing to fight against Pacquiao (until now). However, all those previous insults might just serve as a fuel for him to train harder and eventually fight even better.

Just recently, too, Pacquiao proudly expressed to two sports columnists that he actually thinks that Mayweather is afraid of losing to him (and their reactions gave me lolz):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3QkJ0um4KM

All judgements aside, at the end of day, we're just gonna have to watch them duke it out on May 2nd. There's always the likelihood of surprises, like any other sport.
Saw Manny on First Take this morning. He said "god has brought Floyd to me and will deliver him unto me."

Stephen A. Smith was turning the interview into a circus, as usual.

Now I have to root for Floyd.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 11, 2015 at 9:45 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Just recently, too, Pacquiao proudly expressed to two sports columnists that he actually thinks that Mayweather is afraid of losing to him (and their reactions gave me lolz):

He's not exactly wrong. Mayweather is afraid and has been for five years. Afraid of losing. Not necessarily Manny. That Manny poses his biggest threat in his entire career is what has made him make the fight as difficult as possible to put on.

That interview was annoying as hell though. Black guy needs to take a chill pill.

On a side note, Miguel Cotto has fought both guys and he reckons Manny is going to win.
(March 12, 2015 at 12:01 am)SeanBean Wrote: That interview was annoying as hell though. Black guy needs to take a chill pill.

Stephen A. Smith is a clown. He's taken it upon himself to be the promoter of this fight, and has started acting like a hype man.

He's got his own SNL trope, he's such a clown.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 12, 2015 at 12:01 am)Napoléon Wrote: He's not exactly wrong. Mayweather is afraid and has been for five years. Afraid of losing. Not necessarily Manny. That Manny poses his biggest threat in his entire career is what has made him make the fight as difficult as possible to put on.

I'm more inclined to agree with that opinion.

It's probably not a coincidence that Floyd himself, in a Press Conference last week, said, "One thing I do know about any sport: When you lose, it’s in your mind. If you lost once, it’s in your mind. If you lost twice, it’s in your mind. From day one, I was always taught to be a winner no matter what."

He's a business person, so maybe what especially magnifies his fear of losing is that the idea of losing and money are two things that are strongly linked in his mind. Together it creates a bias known as loss aversion, which suggests that losses have a significantly greater psychological impact than gains of an equal value.

I think this is a common psychological state of many other athletes. They are more fearful of losing than they are motivated to win. As Lance Armstrong also said, "I like to win, but more than anything, I can’t stand this idea of losing. Because to me, losing means death."

(March 11, 2015 at 9:52 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Saw Manny on First Take this morning. He said "god has brought Floyd to me and will deliver him unto me."

Stephen A. Smith was turning the interview into a circus, as usual.

Now I have to root for Floyd.

Apparently Floyd is a God-believer, too (or so he claims).

Quote:On Mayweather’s Instagram he said this to his friend pop star Justin Bieber:

“@JustinBieber Welcome to the Jet Club! Yes, I got a 14 passenger jet. Got to give them another reason to hate, but I will motivate the people that are ambitious and want to be winners in life. I am guilty! I’m materialistic & I’m motivated by money…but GOD is first in my life. GOD will not give you anything you can’t handle. That’s why GOD gave me the best hands in the business to pray with, box with and count money with. #AirMayweather."

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2014/12/mayw...n-my-life/
I couldn't care less whether they believe in god. The thing with Manny is a lot of his god talk is for his audience back home in the Philippines. It's part of his brand, there was one fight where he nearly forgot to do his routine 'praying in the corner' after the win, and one of his entourage was seen yelling at him to get in the corner. He's probably not as religious as is made out, but it's just a part of his persona, especially to his home fans.
(March 11, 2015 at 9:52 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Saw Manny on First Take this morning. He said "god has brought Floyd to me and will deliver him unto me."

If that's the standard, we may all have to pick a turnbuckle to root for. From a transcript of a CNN interview:

Rachel Nichols:
Quote:But the website Deadspin detailed seven physical assaults on five women that resulted in arrest or citation, are we supposed to believe all the women are lying including the incidents when there were witnesses like your own kids?

Floyd Mayweather:
Quote:Everybody actually, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. When it is all said and done, only God can judge me.

http://deadspin.com/mayweather-on-being-...1634290732
I used to hate boxing, actually still do. But I no longer like I used to want it outlawed. I simply cant get into the idea of going out of your way to get your brains beat in. Long term that destroys your body. But then again, I like the NFL and head injuries are a growing problem and one the sport hid for a long time.

I guess really you still have to let humans make their own choices. But I simply hate how evolution has played out to where men have to prove themselves to everyone. I think far too many in our male species don't understand how fragile they are in reality. But like I said, you'll wont change evolution even if you can make more people aware.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Floyd Mayweather vs Connor McGregor ErGingerbreadMandude 68 13587 August 31, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: bennyboy