Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 3, 2024, 6:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand new here 3/18/15
Brand new here 3/18/15
In anger, I terminated YAHOO news commentary, ending 4 years posting comments there. I'm 60 years old coming May of this year...I am white, average intelligence, raised Catholic. I watch MSNBC. I live in the Northeast in the USA...I live aboard a sailboat...now 9 years....I am self employed in the yacht industry...I live life today without the religion I was taught to believe in, now 12 years. For the past 12 years, I have an air of freedom and life without guilty feelings. I now look at others who cannot feel my freedom and I can see now that I stand alone. I am now here to NOT be alone....I saw Ron Reagan, son of the late president Ronald Reagan with a tv ad on CNN yesterday advocating Atheism and Agnostic. And here I am...I hope to connect with same minded people here and find common-ground for some level of comfort in knowing I'm not alone....Steve
RE: Brand new here 3/18/15
Welcome, Sailor!
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Hey Steve, welcome Smile If you stick around here, you sure won't be alone.

Good to have you!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
You are most certainly not alone.

This, exactly, is why those billboards and commercials are necessary. Humans need community, and that is one of the many reasons why religion hangs on. It provides that for people.

Coincidentally, you are living one of my dreams. I learned how to sail as a required summer course at the Naval Academy. I would love to own a 42' sailboat and live in it and sail around the world.

I look forward to your contributions!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome, nice to have you here!

p.s.
Didn't we already have someone here who living on a sailboat at times?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hello, Sailor - and that's not a phrase I get to use very often.

Pull up a theist and tuck in.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hi Steve! Welcome to the forums!

I'm an ex-catholic, too. I'm sure you'll feel at home here. Do stick around.
(March 18, 2015 at 2:44 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Welcome, Sailor!
Thank you for the welcome......steve

(March 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: You are most certainly not alone.

This, exactly, is why those billboards and commercials are necessary. Humans need community, and that is one of the many reasons why religion hangs on. It provides that for people.

Coincidentally, you are living one of my dreams. I learned how to sail as a required summer course at the Naval Academy. I would love to own a 42' sailboat and live in it and sail around the world.

I look forward to your contributions!

Yes, my sailboat "Eagle" is a 'blue water' boat, a 'ketch' and 43 feet...I wish I could afford to sail my "Eagle" round the world like Joshua Slocum did in the late 1800's , but .....

In NEW HAMPSHIRE...License Plates...from as early as the 50's advocate.."Live FREE or DIE"...........

New here...just trying to understand how this website works....
Welcome Sailor,

We're a motley crue here. Sure to raise hackles of the faithful and the ire of most anyone else.

It's what we do best.

Enjoy your time, find a pet theist and a piece of BBQ'd baby leg.

Why do we eat babies? Because they are delicious!
(March 18, 2015 at 3:25 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: Welcome Sailor,

We're a motley crue here. Sure to raise hackles of the faithful and the ire of most anyone else.

It's what we do best.

Enjoy your time, find a pet theist and a piece of BBQ'd baby leg.

Why do we eat babies? Because they are delicious!

Thanks Haysuse...and a spicy BBQ delite.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 1866 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 1288 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 1387 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1457 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1337 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New Here probablynothing#34 18 1878 June 30, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New here - hello! Orbit 16 2060 May 31, 2022 at 12:56 pm