Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My blog
RE: My blog
Thank you Smile Yes, other critical thinking skills are something I was hoping to do, the razor is a very important one. It's frustrating because I've got so much going on in my head to get down, but not the energy to produce it on the website and other things that need my energy first. But there's no rush, I'll do a bit here and there when I can Smile

Thanks very much for the feedback, it all helps me. Yes, stating its a brief intro is a good idea. It's aimed at preparing people for the standard dishonest crap apologists pull out, not because it has any value but because it's designed to confuse and overwhelm.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Okay, so remember formal applies to the logical structure of an argument, that is---deduction---and informal refers to inductive arguments, such as causal arguments or scientific predictions. These are the informal ones: (See also this very excellent page since my textbook/notebook are in the car outside where it is colder than frozen balls; also my memory is limited, so the grouping/ordering may be slightly off):
1. Appeal to force
2. Appeal to pity
3. Appeal to ignorance
4. Appeal to the people
* bandwagon argument
* appeal to vanity
* appeal to snobbery
* appeal to tradition
* (I think I'm missing one more form that the argumentum ad populum usually takes)
5. Ad hominem
* abusive
* circumstantial
* tu quoque
6. Accident
7. Straw Man
8. Missing the point
9. Red Herring
10. Begging the Question
11. Complex Question
12. False Dichotomy
13. Slippery Slope
14. Hasty Generalization (Reverse Accident)
15. False Cause
* post hoc ergo proctor hoc ("after X happened, then Y happened; therefore X caused Y")
* non causa pro causa (false cause of the cause)
* oversimplified cause
* gambler's fallacy
16. Suppressed Evidence
17. Appeal to Unqualified Authority
18. (Fuck I forgot this one)
19.Equivocation
20. Amphiboly
21. Composition
22. Division

These pretty much encompass the others, but here's a more exhaustive list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fal..._fallacies
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
This website had a good overview of the philosophical arguments for and against God. Usually I can't understand philosophy due to the specialized jargon, but I could understand this one.
http://www.philosophyofreligion.info/
Probably should mention the debate tactic of spreading better known as the gish gallop.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Excellent, thanks very much I appreciate it Smile

Great list Nestor, much obliged.

Sadly I'm getting worse rather than better so changes might be some time coming Sad
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Due to a lack of energy I've not been able to work on my website for a while. But I've now managed to finish the Logical fallacies page, which I've renamed Logical fallacies / dishonest techniques. As always, feedback welcome including constructive criticism Smile

Also added a links section, where I offer all my favourite serious and/or hilarious religious satire and discussion.

Index of my best videos
Here is a typo from the intro page. I'll let you know if I see any others as I'm reading. Smile
Quote:You haven't demonatrated anything to be true.
That's not a typo. It's a portmanteau for a castrated demon.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 20, 2015 at 3:24 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: Here is a typo from the intro page. I'll let you know if I see any others as I'm reading. Smile
Quote:You haven't demonatrated anything to be true.

Great, thank you Smile

Fixed!

Index of my best videos
(February 5, 2015 at 12:32 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm just getting started with it, but I thought I'd share it with you guys. Feedback welcome!

http://robvalue.wix.com/atheism

Welcome to the blogging community! I recommend keeping a billy goat nearby to keep the trolls away. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My New Blog Shining_Finger 9 1515 October 27, 2015 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Losty
  My new blog on Why I'm an Atheist Quasar 2 1526 February 7, 2012 at 1:35 am
Last Post: passionatefool
  Blog Talk Radio - Atheist / Christian Dialogue Tiberius 5 2541 April 27, 2010 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Tiberius