Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 12:17 am

Poll: Could you kill someone with a firearm?
This poll is closed.
Yes
100.00%
20 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killing the Hypothetical
RE: Killing the Hypothetical
I'm from the US, and I don't own a gun, but if ou show me some sicko that tortures kids to death or something, I'll be happy to execute them. We don't need to experiment with new stuff to put in them with a needle. Just give me a pistol, and I'll put one in their head. I don't need to line up with some other people, and not know if I'm shooting blanks or not.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(April 15, 2015 at 10:09 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(April 15, 2015 at 8:29 am)Alex K Wrote: In that case I could even kill them with a spoon.

Seems like a bit of a pointless poll to me. Or at the least I'm not seeing the relevance of the question, or even how it pertains to a discussion on gun legislation.

I'd be very surprised if anyone would say no, and surprised further still if those who did would actually sit by and watch their loved ones be harmed in the scenario in the OP.

Most everyone would defend their family/loved ones with whatever they had to hand, would they not? So what does this even remotely suggest about guns? A poll asking the same question for knives would be equally as irrelevant IMHO. 

It's called the duck dynasty scenario...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 15, 2015 at 10:09 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(April 15, 2015 at 8:29 am)Alex K Wrote: In that case I could even kill them with a spoon.

Seems like a bit of a pointless poll to me. Or at the least I'm not seeing the relevance of the question, or even how it pertains to a discussion on gun legislation.

I'd be very surprised if anyone would say no, and surprised further still if those who did would actually sit by and watch their loved ones be harmed in the scenario in the OP.

Most everyone would defend their family/loved ones with whatever they had to hand, would they not? So what does this even remotely suggest about guns? A poll asking the same question for knives would be equally as irrelevant IMHO. 

First off, most threads are pointless.  This one is no exception.
Secondly, color yourself surprised.  I've met three people (all women coincidentally?) that said they probably could not kill someone even in defense.  They said at the final moment they don't know that they could pull the trigger.  So the poll is not as stupid as you would like to claim.  Some people just do not have it in them to kill even in defense of themselves or their families.

Someone already answered no to this poll:
(April 15, 2015 at 9:23 am)c172 Wrote: No. I am disabled, and of the opinion that to own a firearm, you should have at least a certain level of physical and mental faculties. Somebody with crutches or in a wheelchair should not qualify. So I would never own a firearm, much less kill someone with it. 

I'm American, in America.

(And by the way c172 I know several disabled people who have guns.  It is their only real means of protection.)

Lastly Napo
As for the poll being irrelevant:  You have made my point for me.  A knife a spoon a gun - it matters not.  Killing is killing but a gun is a major advantage over any other weapon and the thread that I'm referring to was not titled "Knife Control" and there is no 2nd Amendment defending cutlery.  
[Image: Evolution.png]

Could you kill someone with a firearm? No. I don't have an arm made of fire. *rimshot* I'm sorry.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(April 15, 2015 at 10:09 am)Napoléon Wrote: Seems like a bit of a pointless poll to me. Or at the least I'm not seeing the relevance of the question, or even how it pertains to a discussion on gun legislation.

I think the main point of the question is about the killing, and the gun part is just a curious addition on Cinjin's part. Perhaps he added it because it's one of the more impersonal ways to kill someone and he thought that would affect people's choice?

(April 15, 2015 at 10:18 am)Alex K Wrote: It's called the duck dynasty scenario...

I don't follow.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Phil Robertson talking about how atheists have no morals, so if some people tortured and killed your family you'd have to admit there's nothing wrong about it. Because godlessness means no empathy, for some reason. In other news, a lawyer in California is trying to make state mandated gay killing a thing.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(April 15, 2015 at 10:29 am)Cinjin Wrote: First off, most threads are pointless.  This one is no exception.

So in one breath you're saying this thread is irrelevant and "useless" (your own words), but in another it seems like you have some kind of point to make? That this thread isn't as stupid as it seems (even though I didn't say it was necessarily stupid, I just didn't see what the relevancy or point of it was).

And I'm still no nearer to really understanding the point. Is there one? Isn't there one?

Quote:Secondly, color yourself surprised.  I've met three people (all women coincidentally?) that said they probably could not kill someone even in defense.  They said at the final moment they don't know that they could pull the trigger.  So the poll is not as stupid as you would like to claim.  Some people just do not have it in them to kill even in defense of themselves or their families.

So hold up, you say you've met three women who said "that they probably could not", but, "in the final moment don't know". Last I checked "don't know" does not mean "probably could not". Sounds like some weird interpretation there to me. I still remain very sceptical that someone would not at the very least try whatever they thought they could get away with in the scenario you mentioned in the OP. Even killing or shooting if they had a gun to hand. I still think even the most harmless of creatures will do what they have to if backed into a corner and threatened. That's basic survival instinct, no?

Ofcourse there are instances where it's not perhaps the best idea to fight back, and many people wouldn't through fear or other things, sure. But the scenario you described in the OP just sounds to me like it would only have one response from most everyone.

(April 15, 2015 at 10:32 am)Faith No More Wrote: I think the main point of the question is about the killing, and the gun part is just a curious addition on Cinjin's part. Perhaps he added it because it's one of the more impersonal ways to kill someone and he thought that would affect people's choice?

Right, so what difference does it make if it's a gun? Cinjin hasn't talked about that. That's all I'm really asking.
The point is that Cinjin wanted to know something.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 15, 2015 at 10:29 am)Cinjin Wrote: Someone already answered no to this poll:

(April 15, 2015 at 9:23 am)c172 Wrote: No. I am disabled, and of the opinion that to own a firearm, you should have at least a certain level of physical and mental faculties. Somebody with crutches or in a wheelchair should not qualify. So I would never own a firearm, much less kill someone with it. 

I'm American, in America.

And they only answered no due to their disability, in their own words.

Quote:Lastly Napo
As for the poll being irrelevant:  You have made my point for me.  A knife a spoon a gun - it matters not.  Killing is killing but a gun is a major advantage over any other weapon and the thread that I'm referring to was not titled "Knife Control" and there is no 2nd Amendment defending cutlery.  

Okay, so this is the point I have a contention with then (even though you said there wasn't a point to the thread, funny that).
(April 15, 2015 at 10:48 am)Napoléon Wrote: Right, so what difference does it make if it's a gun? Cinjin hasn't talked about that. That's all I'm really asking.

I hear you.  I'm curious, too, but I think it's just a relic from the fact that the idea came to him from the discussion in the gun thread.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hypothetical #3 -Star Trek transporter ignoramus 43 4012 March 30, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hypothetical: Four babies... The Valkyrie 24 2693 January 12, 2018 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hypothetical Q's about psychotic beliefs and antipsychotics Alexmahone 39 4376 January 12, 2018 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America Pyrrho 30 5393 June 28, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Hypothetical fights paulpablo 19 2766 November 5, 2014 at 2:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Baby Burned Alive: Chile Arrests 4 Accused Of Killing Child For Being 'Antichrist' In Ritual Sacrifice Gooders1002 2 1931 April 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist