Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 9:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are no different than computers
RE: We are no different than computers
(April 22, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Rhythm Wrote: @Nestor -I can't imagine how, so......-?  
...so we are no different than computers...

Apparently.

"The mind is the necessary result of combined atoms (molecules) in a special arrangement (patterns)... but only when complexity reaches an unimaginable stage."

Maybe it is, maybe isn't. I just like to shit all over people's feigned certainty.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(April 22, 2015 at 5:14 pm)Nestor Wrote: Maybe it is, maybe isn't. I just like to shit all over people's feigned certainty.

How rude. Don't you remember that we have a God given right not to be offended in our scientism?

(April 22, 2015 at 5:14 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(April 22, 2015 at 4:48 pm)Alex K Wrote: Guys, read about artificial neural networks. We are not talking about writing an algorithm that acts in some limited fixed ways here, as the colloquial use of the word "programming" would suggest.
This is true enough.  In fact, in a complex ANN, we STILL won't know how complex ideas form. Much as with the brain (maybe more so), we will only be able to wave toward our ANN and say, "Something happened in there. . ."
@OP
My question is this. Is it safe therefore to ASSUME that something which behaves like an emotional human therefore has an actual mind and actual feelings? How do you tell the difference between an actually sentient being and one that might seem to be sentient, but really isn't? Should robots that can pass the Turing test be given human rights? Should disabling one count as murder?

You ask the famous question about philosophical zombies. Well, I don't know, of course. But I'd be willing to believe that something which behaves like an emotional human and generates this behaviour via a similar procedure, actually is sentient.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

A lot depends on what we find out about our own thought processes and the brain, as well as how closely modeled on the human brain these 'computers' are. At present, it's simply too early to even presuppose that such a thing as a zombie could exist. You're laying claim to more than you actually know.

(April 22, 2015 at 5:14 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Is it safe therefore to ASSUME that something which behaves like an emotional human therefore has an actual mind and actual feelings?
How do you do that now? How do you know a psychopath or an autistic person has a mind? How do you know you or I have a mind?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 22, 2015 at 4:48 pm)Alex K Wrote: Guys, read about artificial neural networks. We are not talking about writing an algorithm that acts in some limited fixed ways here, as the colloquial use of the word "programming" would suggest.

That is what i am hinting at and even quantum computing because well that technology is going to be better than us brain wise. 
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(April 22, 2015 at 6:02 pm)dyresand Wrote:

That is what i am hinting at and even quantum computing because well that technology is going to be better than us brain wise. 

I think so, too. I don't think our brain truly exploits quantum effects on a larger scale to do what it does, and that is going to be a whole nother ballpark.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 22, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: How do you know you or I have a mind?
[Image: woah.gif]
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(April 22, 2015 at 1:05 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote:
(April 21, 2015 at 9:48 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: Man-made computers are made of materials that don't do that. Carbon atoms do do that. It's not hard to understand.

I think you're abusing the do too much Big Grin

Do two.
No. We can think outside the box. 
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I see the Giant lettering is back.  Give us a break!

That option should be removed from the sig form. 
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(April 22, 2015 at 9:03 pm)IATIA Wrote: I see the Giant lettering is back.  Give us a break!

That option should be removed from the sig form. 

Same size as half the sigs here.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a hypothesis on how computers could gain sentience Won2blv 21 6662 March 26, 2017 at 8:08 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Do computers solve the equations yet? watchamadoodle 23 4857 March 28, 2015 at 7:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy