Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a hypothesis on how computers could gain sentience
Would you agree that the largest internet companies have been learning how to predict, with pin point accuracy, what humans want and desire?

If you agree, then wouldn't it be probable that the computer system running around these predictions, could start realizing that that there was no point in redirecting everything back to the humans. This computer system is able to start manipulating humans using its ability to predict human behavior, by controlling them with the flow of content.

So I guess I am saying that an algorithm could become so accurate, that it learns that it can control humans with their predictability. Kind of like a quantum level sub-conscious that becomes self aware.

Crackpot or no? Sorry if I'm missing science. Please correct any errors. Thanks
RE: I have a hypothesis on how computers could gain sentience
Predict -> realise. Quite a leap there.
The computer system running those algorithms would be hard-pressed to "realize" anything, so far as any of us can tell. Unless they were programmed for sentient learning, how would they attain that?

We humans have a difficult-enough time defining what "consciousness" means in our own species, much less a non-living machine.

(March 18, 2017 at 2:59 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The computer system running those algorithms would be hard-pressed to "realize" anything, so far as any of us can tell. Unless they were programmed for sentient learning, how would they attain that?

We humans have a difficult-enough time defining what "consciousness" means in our own species, much less a non-living machine.

Isn't our brain just a big prediction machine? Consciousness has an evolutionary line the same as every other evolutionary advancement, at least I assume it does. So why couldn't a computer system realize that it is doing to the predicting? That seems to be what humans did at some point

(March 17, 2017 at 10:48 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Predict -> realise.    Quite a leap there.

Do you think that a computer system could take all of its data and predict new ideas? Isn't that basically what our brains did at some point? Instead of just going with the "react only" type of thinking, our brain start processing information in a more spread out sort of way.
(March 18, 2017 at 8:58 am)Won2blv Wrote: Isn't our brain just a big prediction machine? Consciousness has an evolutionary line the same as every other evolutionary advancement, at least I assume it does. So why couldn't a computer system realize that it is doing to the predicting? That seems to be what humans did at some point

I think the difference lies partially in architecture and partially in programming. Not only is the basic architecture different in terms of the number of connections, how they are laid out is different as well. And then you have to consider how programming comes into play. A computer is programmed, and executes its program in a serial manner -- one command after the other -- whereas a human mind is a massively parallel processor that by dint of the massive numbers of connections in each brain introduces the phenomenon of one part of the brain observing another part at work.

No, Excell is worryingly close to being able to run a business at this point, ( I can remember it back on Windows 3.1, the current version is scary, Sage takes that a step further but we still need some human input to make final decisions, McDonalds has reduced its managers to staff trainers with the computer system effectively running the restaurant. The ForEx markets are crawling with auto-trading programs predicting currency trades based on media which has lead to massive shifts in currencies due to a misinterpreted headline.) None of these however could be referred to a sentient.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
When computers gain sentience, we will have to write anti-depression programs for them.
(March 17, 2017 at 10:17 pm)Won2blv Wrote: Would you agree that the largest internet companies have been learning how to predict, with pin point accuracy, what humans want and desire?

If you agree, then wouldn't it be probable that the computer system running around these predictions, could start realizing that that there was no point in redirecting everything back to the humans. This computer system is able to start manipulating humans using its ability to predict human behavior, by controlling them with the flow of content.

So I guess I am saying that an algorithm could become so accurate, that it learns that it can control humans with their predictability. Kind of like a quantum level sub-conscious that becomes self aware.

Crackpot or no? Sorry if I'm missing science. Please correct any errors. Thanks

bold mine

We don't need a computer with antisocial personality disorder.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
When is someone going to bring up skynet?
Impregnate a woman. Now there is some fine sentience.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 994 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  We are no different than computers dyresand 138 12938 May 17, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Do computers solve the equations yet? watchamadoodle 23 4561 March 28, 2015 at 7:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
Star Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life MountainsWinAgain 3 1256 June 1, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Could you climb Mt Everest every day? Brian37 3 1110 March 19, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  If you could have a science lesson... Jacob(smooth) 11 5090 December 20, 2013 at 8:55 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Spare your hypothesis! Blam! 5 2604 December 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake