Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do computers solve the equations yet?
Do computers solve the equations yet?
My biggest problem with science when I was in college was differential equations. I was very good at math until we had to start solving differential equations. I remember writing those suckers out on paper. Do this. Transform into that. Drop a term. ... Scribble, scribble. Oops, I made a sign error on the previous page. Start over from the beginning. ... Finally (if I was lucky) the equation would match something in a big, fat, smelly book, and I could look up the solution for that equation. ... Usually I would find that I had the wrong answer after all that work. Angry (this was back in the 80s)

I was just wondering if the computers might have eliminated all that misery. It would be nice if the computers could graph the equations in three dimensions and do all the math for you. Tongue
RE: Do computers solve the equations yet?
Yes they can.

But I'm not telling. Work on your math, you lazy bum Big Grin
Yes, they do everything

I can't even add Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

They can do anything but be sentient yet.. Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Computers solve lots of problems(using softwares like MATLAB), but some equations need human intelligence to be solved.

Perfect example is the integration of an equation. some integrations are so hard, they're remain unsolved .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(March 27, 2015 at 5:12 pm)Alex K Wrote: Yes, they do everything

I can't even add Big Grin

Same here, all I see are subtractions in my bank account Undecided
Calculus is the only pure pleasure left in life, don't let the computer rob you of it!

Some equations can't be solved with regular methods and you have to resort to iterative techniques; in those cases computers are the winners.

If you have a certain form of differential equation which is solvable with a particular method, it would be pretty easy to write a program that solved it given various coefficients.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 27, 2015 at 5:29 pm)robvalue Wrote: Calculus is the only pure pleasure left in life, don't let the computer rob you of it!

Some equations can't be solved with regular methods and you have to resort to iterative techniques; in those cases computers are the winners.

If you have a certain form of differential equation which is solvable with a particular method, it would be pretty easy to write a program that solved it given various coefficients.
Yeah, I liked calculus, but I just felt very confused with the differential equations. I think I found that book I hated so much:
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781584882978
The one I had to use was old and smelly. Angry
Whenever I think about physics, I just remember that smelly book and I know it wasn't right for me. Smile

BTW You guys might fool me into believing you can't add, but you can't fool the zombies. They can smell those scientist brains a mile away. Tongue
(March 27, 2015 at 5:54 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote:
(March 27, 2015 at 5:29 pm)robvalue Wrote: Calculus is the only pure pleasure left in life, don't let the computer rob you of it!

Yeah, I liked calculus, but I just felt very confused with the differential equations. I think I found that book I hated so much:
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781584882978
The one I had to use was old and smelly. Angry
Whenever I think about physics, I just remember that smelly book and I know it wasn't right for me. Smile

BTW You guys might fool me into believing you can't add, but you can't fool the zombies. They can smell those scientist brains a mile away. Tongue

If you're more of the visual learner type:

Khan Academy is one of the best resources online to learn Calculus. If that doesn't help, try PatrickJMT.
That book doesn't look like it was meant as a pedagogical intro for learning diff equations, and more like a reference...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me solve this optoelectronics problem! Macoleco 13 1491 September 27, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  I have a hypothesis on how computers could gain sentience Won2blv 21 6428 March 26, 2017 at 8:08 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  how to solve the fresh water problem, clean energy rising seas all by digging a ditch Drich 28 5030 December 18, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  We are no different than computers dyresand 138 12934 May 17, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: emjay