Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(May 17, 2015 at 2:12 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Seriously, is there a Christian scholar whom I could have trotted out that would have maintained my credibility? Be honest.

Blomberg? Hahn? Evans? Licona? Ratziinger? Von Balthasar?

You tell me which Christians you read and respect, and I'll try to include some of their thoughts in my posts, okay?

Look, WLC is a particular problem because he's outed himself as a presuppositionalist multiple times; he's literally said that he will continue to believe in the historical accuracy of the christian bible even if he were to be taken back in time to be an eyewitness to it all not happening. He's said he will continue to believe in spite of all evidence, and has in fact also stated that reason itself should be disregarded where it conflicts with the gospel.

It should be pretty clear why anything that man says, just by dint of these adopted positions, is inherently untrustworthy, and frankly, you shouldn't want those kinds of sentiments to be representative of your argument here either.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 17, 2015 at 2:14 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(May 17, 2015 at 11:22 am)Randy Carson Wrote: There is absolutely no question about the fact that the Luke who wrote Luke-Acts is the same person as the travelling companion of Paul.

Okay, look: you cannot keep asserting that. You are ridiculously overstating and exaggerating your position, but when I've specifically shown you that there are at least three schools of thought on this issue in another thread, and you keep going on like I hadn't said a word of that, then you are also actively lying, because you have been shown clearly that there is this question within the scholarly community. You really think just trundling through as though nobody has presented anything to you is an honest or effective way to go about this?

Then again, maybe you do, because I've witnessed a hell of a lot of ridiculous shit from you since I last posted; from poisoning the well by characterizing those who disagree with you as "angry, bitter and hurt," lowering yourself to the utterly inane "why are you angry at god?" strawman, and more recently outright copy/pasting stuff you'd said to me, word for word, as a reply to Jormungandr.

... In fact, as a mod, I actually need to ask: are you actually writing any of what you're saying yourself? Because that bit about Eusebius and Papias is a carbon copy of something you said to me in a different thread, and if you're copy/pasting your responses from elsewhere then we may have a problem here.

I have most of my arguments concerning basic Christianity stored as Word files so that I can reference them as needed in this forum or others.

I don't feel I need to re-invent the wheel every time someone asks a question I've answered dozens of times in the past.

So, if I don't cite a website or book, then it's original material that I wrote. Per the rules, I am citing all other material.
Quote:Seriously, is there a Christian scholar whom I could have trotted out that would have maintained my credibility? Be honest.

Probably not because the problem that you, and they themselves, define themselves as "xtian scholars."  They have a predetermined bias to substantiate the bullshit they have spent their whole lives studying.

I don't care about your fucking bible, apostles, epistles, or church histories.  Everytime I demand evidence for any of your shit ( and the muslims are the same, btw) all I ever get is ultimately the pious blather which was written down by later believers and that don't count for shit.

I'll accept that they "believed" it.  So what.  People believe lots of stupid shit. Belief means nothing.
(May 17, 2015 at 2:17 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(May 17, 2015 at 2:12 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Seriously, is there a Christian scholar whom I could have trotted out that would have maintained my credibility? Be honest.

You tell me which Christians you read and respect, and I'll try to include some of their thoughts in my posts, okay?

Look, WLC is a particular problem because he's outed himself as a presuppositionalist multiple times; he's literally said that he will continue to believe in the historical accuracy of the christian bible even if he were to be taken back in time to be an eyewitness to it all not happening. He's said he will continue to believe in spite of all evidence, and has in fact also stated that reason itself should be disregarded where it conflicts with the gospel.

It should be pretty clear why anything that man says, just by dint of these adopted positions, is inherently untrustworthy, and frankly, you shouldn't want those kinds of sentiments to be representative of your argument here either.

You have a link for this, I presume? Or should I just take your word for it? Hey, I'm the first to drop a bad source if it brings my argument into question.

But you didn't suggest any acceptable Christian scholars...

(May 17, 2015 at 2:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'll accept that they "believed" it.  So what.  People believe lots of stupid shit. Belief means nothing.

Great!

That closes off another atheist argument: that the apostles were lying intentionally. Thus, the collusion objection can be marked off the list of legitimate reasons to reject Christianity.

That list is getting shorter and shorter.

What's left, Min?
[/quote]

What, you want us to make your case for you?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: You have a link for this, I presume? Or should I just take your word for it? Hey, I'm the first to drop a bad source if it brings my argument into question.

Several: Here's one with references to Craig's own books.  Here's Craig himself, asserting that "god exists because I know god exists, so screw your evidence!" is a reasonable justification for belief. And here's WLC, on video, stating that the only valid use of reason is in support of the gospel only:

It's not that WLC is a bad source, it's that he's not even a source at all: he's just a bilge pump spewing christian propaganda wrapped in ten dollar words.

Quote:But you didn't suggest any acceptable Christian scholars..

Maybe that's because I accept positions based on the evidence supporting them, rather than the person asserting them.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
People who believe in things deeply -still- lie about those things.  It's called pious fraud amigo.   Meh, in any case, people reject your claims not because of brilliant argumentation on either end, they simply don't believe you.  I guess you'll have to resolve that first?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(May 17, 2015 at 2:17 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Look, WLC is a particular problem because he's outed himself as a presuppositionalist multiple times; he's literally said that he will continue to believe in the historical accuracy of the christian bible even if he were to be taken back in time to be an eyewitness to it all not happening. He's said he will continue to believe in spite of all evidence, and has in fact also stated that reason itself should be disregarded where it conflicts with the gospel.

You have a link for this, I presume? Or should I just take your word for it? Hey, I'm the first to drop a bad source if it brings my argument into question.

Mark Smith  posed the following scenario to Craig:

Quote:Dr. Craig, for the sake of argument let’s pretend that a time machine gets built. You and I hop in it, and travel back to the day before Easter, 33 AD. We park it outside the tomb of Jesus. We wait. Easter morning rolls around, and nothing happens. We continue to wait. After several weeks of waiting, Mark Smithstill nothing happens. There is no resurrection – Jesus is quietly rotting away in the tomb.

Smith then asked Craig if he would then deny Christianity, having seen with his own eyes that Jesus did not rise from the dead. Smith writes:

Quote:He told me, face to face, that he would STILL believe in Jesus, he would STILL believe in the resurrection, and he would STILL remain a Christian.

In 2007, Zachary Moore decided to try again. Craig confirmed that that no evidence could overturn his “inner witness of the Holy Spirit.”

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 17, 2015 at 2:12 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Seriously, is there a Christian scholar whom I could have trotted out that would have maintained my credibility? Be honest.

Seriously, any of those listed above would have been better than WLC.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(May 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(May 17, 2015 at 2:17 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Look, WLC is a particular problem because he's outed himself as a presuppositionalist multiple times; he's literally said that he will continue to believe in the historical accuracy of the christian bible even if he were to be taken back in time to be an eyewitness to it all not happening. He's said he will continue to believe in spite of all evidence, and has in fact also stated that reason itself should be disregarded where it conflicts with the gospel.

So, now that Esquilax and I have both posted a video and quotes from WLC showing himself to be an intellectually dishonest dirtbag, will you still continue to use him as a reference?

Let's see how intellectually honest you are.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9107 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6845 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 38316 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17175 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 11249 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 23191 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7718 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23595 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13469 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7307 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution