Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 7, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stump the Christian?
RE: Stump the Christian?
(June 13, 2015 at 6:11 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: What evidence for God's existence could I provide that you would accept?

My wife growing back her finger might be a nice touch. Let me guess, this isn't beyond his abilities but he won't do it; mysterious ways and all.
(June 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm)Cato Wrote:
(June 13, 2015 at 6:11 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: What evidence for God's existence could I provide that you would accept?

My wife growing back her finger might be a nice touch. Let me guess, this isn't beyond his abilities but he won't do it; mysterious ways and all.

If anyone ever grows back a missing body part, it'll be through the advances of science, not the grace of gawd.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 13, 2015 at 9:37 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(June 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm)Cato Wrote: My wife growing back her finger might be a nice touch. Let me guess, this isn't beyond his abilities but he won't do it; mysterious ways and all.

If anyone ever grows back a missing body part, it'll be through the advances of science, not the grace of gawd.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...imbs-wont/
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 13, 2015 at 10:08 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(June 13, 2015 at 9:37 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: If anyone ever grows back a missing body part, it'll be through the advances of science, not the grace of gawd.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...imbs-wont/

My wife was an adult when she lost her finger beyond the nail bed. Do you have any links for that scenario?
(June 13, 2015 at 10:33 pm)Cato Wrote:
(June 13, 2015 at 10:08 pm)dyresand Wrote: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...imbs-wont/

My wife was an adult when she lost her finger beyond the nail bed. Do you have any links for that scenario?

Under the right conditions yes

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51879/you...ne-and-all
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 13, 2015 at 6:43 pm)abaris Wrote:

Well, you can question all of us. Jenny gave you some claims from the bible.

A  well observed supernatural event would be a start. Not an individual claim of one person, who I don't know and who could suffer from any kind of mental illness. Or simply be a fraud for that matter.

But how would that be evidence of GOD? Atheists would quickly begin to argue amongst themselves as to whether the event was evidence of intelligent life from another planet or some scientific explanation for the event...

I guess I'd have to know more about the event you are proposing to know how it would convincingly prove the existence of God.

Quote:As some of us already said: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And on a personal note, without knowing you, you probably would be quick to wave away any supernatural claim if it wasn't connected to your god image. Let's say having a talk with Bigfoot or, to stay in the god realm, Odin or Zeus.

That's not true. I like Bigfoot...I'm hoping he's finally found one day.
(June 13, 2015 at 6:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(June 13, 2015 at 6:11 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Jenny-

I can't remember if I asked this of you or JuliaL...and the search feature in this forum is a bit limited, so I ask your patience in advance:

What evidence for God's existence could I provide that you would accept?

Asked and answered:

Quote: Oh, just about anything godly demonstrably happening in the present.  Suppose a booming voice announced from the sky that a second earth would be created tomorrow and be shown orbiting the sun?  And sure enough tomorrow there it was. That would do it for me. Of course it could be very clever aliens with very advanced tech, but at that point the difference between aliens and god would be pretty slim. [emphasis added] 

Well, so much for that proof. You've already inserted all the wiggle room you would need to avoid admission of God's existence. [Image: ani_yup.gif]

Quote:I did mention the idea that Jesus might demonstrate resurrection repeatedly for the disbelieving.  Why not?  If he's god, he gave us the brains to demand that level of proof.  No need for the pain of crucifixion.  Just a living man demonstrably dead getting up and going about living over and over until the scientists are satisfied would do just fine.

That runs into theological problems...and ironically, one that Catholics get from misguided Protestants all the time. The mass is a sacrifice, but it is a re-presentation of the one sacrifice of Jesus and not a re-sacrificing of Him at every mass.

Your proposal sounds like Jesus would die again and again and again...which defeats the purpose of the one sacrifice of Christ which put an end to the sacrifices offered in the Temple day after day, year after year.

Quote:Anything less is much to small for the enormity of the claim.

Anything this big strikes me as being coercive.
(June 14, 2015 at 1:20 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Your proposal sounds like Jesus would die again and again and again...which defeats the purpose of the one sacrifice of Christ which put an end to the sacrifices offered in the Temple day after day, year after year.

We don't have to move even one step further than the trinity to defeat the purpose of the sacrifice.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 13, 2015 at 9:37 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(June 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm)Cato Wrote: My wife growing back her finger might be a nice touch. Let me guess, this isn't beyond his abilities but he won't do it; mysterious ways and all.

Right.

Because God Cannot. Possibly. Exist. This is known and understood by all who have any brains. [Image: rolleyes.gif]
(June 14, 2015 at 1:25 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Right.

Because God Cannot. Possibly. Exist. This is known and understood by all who have any brains. [Image: rolleyes.gif]

I don't recall anyone saying that.

We know that some reptiles and amphibians can regrow limbs, therefore it's not outrageous to speculate that we will be able to achieve this in mammals. And how could you possibly demonstrate that a limb was regrown by god? All you would ever come up with is no explanation which you would assume to be god simply because you don't know what happened.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91882 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7648 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6428 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej