Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
I had a conversation with Christian girl yesterday and it randomly led to the subject of homosexuality.
She believes that it is perfectly acceptable to be a homosexual because you should be able to love anyone you want.
I asked her how she could say that and call herself a Christian. She became iritated. I pointed out that her Bible clearly states that it is an abomination. She finally said " I don't care what it says" and ended the conversation. The stress caused by the cognitive dissonance was pretty high.
I find Christians do this a lot. They reject what they don't like in the Bible.
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
Yes.

Your point?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
It was a question more than a point.
Yes - because Christianity isn't contingent on belief an an inerrant or even a divinely inspired bible. Some denominations may be, but not all place the same emphasis on it.
I think the point is, Why do you find the bible as whole truth and law, but do not follow it as such?
I have found many Christians that say I will go to hell for not following the bible, thus making me not a Christian. But they seem to find it ok to not follow the bible but call themselves Christians so they can go to heaven.
[Image: 347]
(February 10, 2014 at 6:14 pm)StoryBook Wrote: I think the point is, Why do you find the bible as whole truth and law, but do not follow it as such?
I have found many Christians that say I will go to hell for not following the bible, thus making me not a Christian. But they seem to find it ok to not follow the bible but call themselves Christians so they can go to heaven.

So they're hypocrites? I don't find that a contraindication to be being Christian, Muslim, atheist, or anything else. They may just be bad at it.
I don't understand how someone can find things that are obviously wrong in the Bible and still think it is the word of god. How do they live like that?
(February 10, 2014 at 6:04 pm)KUSA Wrote: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?

The same way you can be quite insane without being wholly insane.
It's pretty standard for people to pick and choose. You practically have to as time goes on, otherwise you'll find yourself in prison or executed. Cultures change as time goes on. Everything changes. The idea of an unchanging morality is actually pretty negative in most aspects. Given the number of contradictions and outdated morals in the bible, I don't see how mainstream christianity could hold to all of it and expect to get anywhere in the world.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 10, 2014 at 6:19 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(February 10, 2014 at 6:14 pm)StoryBook Wrote: I think the point is, Why do you find the bible as whole truth and law, but do not follow it as such?

So they're hypocrites? I don't find that a contraindication to be being Christian, Muslim, atheist, or anything else. They may just be bad at it.

Not all are hypocrites..It's more doing what they want and twisting the words to make it right for them. Then you are seen as wrong for not agreeing.
[Image: 347]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 1883 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 17626 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43609 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 7898 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1365 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4494 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8318 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5513 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  William Lane Craig's drunken phone call. Jehanne 3 1219 January 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27469 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb