Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What IS good, and how do we determine it?
RE: What IS good, and how do we determine it?
(June 18, 2015 at 12:22 am)Godschild Wrote:
(June 17, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: [Image: mjT9z.jpg]

What is there to learn, atheism is not believing, even the dead can accomplish that.

GC

Are you suggesting that there are no theists in 'grave-holes'? Or that you can't or won't accomplish something that even the dead have managed?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 18, 2015 at 1:02 am)Rhythm Wrote: It's not rude, so much as unoriginal.

Sorry. Undecided

For what it's worth, I have never talked to an atheist about this, so I'm new to the subject and have never heard y'alls thoughts on it.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Thanks so much everyone! We're having a lovely meal today at one of our favourite places Smile

Here's my thoughts, for what they are worth! I would wager every atheist here would agree with me on at least the first point.

1) You are too good for Catholicism.

2) Your stated reason for belief that Jesus really was God is the success of the church and all its history. If you're interested, this is argument from incredulity fallacy: you can't imagine any other way for all this to happen other than Jesus really being God. The truth doesn't depend on our ability to imagine it. There is a very simple and much more likely alternative: people continued to think Jesus really was God throughout the church's history. As I'm sure you'll agree even now no one can prove there is a god or that Jesus was God, so the belief alone is enough to keep all of Christianity going. So it's no surprise that this could have always been the case, when proof was similarly impossible. If people really believed it, what difference would it have made if it was actually true or not?

3) A question I asked earlier: how would you feel if you were gay? Would you still love a God who insisted you repress who you are, even when gay sex hurts no one else? Not long ago a teenager killed herself because she couldn't handle how much God was disapproving of her just for being the way she was. Your gut reaction to gay sex being "off" is not surprising, since you're not gay Smile All of sexual attraction is bizarre when viewed objectively. It only makes sense biologically, and to the individuals. Not wanting to do it yourself isn't a reason to stop others wanting to do it, that's sensible morality, so why would God stick his oar in and say otherwise?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 18, 2015 at 1:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:

Sorry. Undecided

For what it's worth, I have never talked to an atheist about this, so I'm new to the subject and have never heard y'alls thoughts on it.

That's how you end up with these strange ideas about atheism....from -not- talking to atheists.  The "atheism is like a religion" bit is clearly considered brilliant in some circles, as often as we see it here, but for us, it's just tiresome and aggravating. I'm gonna level with you, while everyone is still enjoying the glow......I think you're bullshitting me in a very big way. I don't think you came to that comment yourself or by observation (and after all, you've just now claimed you've never talked to atheists about this.....the preamble offered before you dropped the turd makes -no sense- whatsoever in light of this statement). This was, essentially, scripted.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 18, 2015 at 1:07 am)Crossless1 Wrote:

Instead of saying 'Learn more about atheism', the last part of the caption in the third picture should say 'Learn more about Christianity's feeble excuses'.

Then perhaps believers would have one less reason to trot out the tiresome 'atheists act like they are part of a religion' talking point.

Any reason why "Christianity" in particular? There are thousands of religions out there. If anything, it seems like the one you'd be more concerned about is radical Islam...

I honestly have *never* heard that before nor did I know it was a talking point you guys have had to deal with. This is something I've just realized in the past year, as I've befriended an Atheist friend on facebook who is..... er... very outspoken, to say the least lol.

I apologize if this is something you guys feel badgered about so much.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(June 18, 2015 at 1:14 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 18, 2015 at 1:02 am)Neimenovic Wrote: I was raised catholic. I wish I was exaggerating.

I am really sorry you've had such a bad experience and I'm really sorry the Church has failed you. Sad

Don't apologize for others. It hasn't 'failed' me. It hurt my brain.
(June 18, 2015 at 1:08 am)Stimbo Wrote: @ Catholic Lady:

What I'm trying to get at is - if you had never heard of xtianity in your whole life, let alone cat-hole-icism ( Smile ), what would possibly lead you to think that Jesus was a god at all (leaving aside the very real question over his historical existence) and how would you make the connection to the Abrahamic god? What are you using as a source for determining what your god wants and how it thinks and feels?

As someone who had never before even heard of Christianity? I honestly don't know. I cannot imagine never having heard of it before, since I grew up with it. I don't know what my reaction would be or what, if anything, would get me to believe in it if I was hearing about it for the very first time in my life. It's kind of something that has developed for years as I've grown and the more I learn about it the more I'm convinced by all of it. Like I said in my last post, it was never just one magical source, so I don't think any one thing, if anything would get me to believe in it under your hypothetical circumstances. I see it as something that would take years to develop, and I can't even explain everything that would have to go into it for the belief/understanding to happen.

(June 18, 2015 at 1:12 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(June 18, 2015 at 1:10 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to abstinence only programs, I was referring to abstinence itself. Assuming you have all the right parts intact, not having sex is the only for sure way to avoid pregnancy. You can't get pregnant if you don't have sex.

Tell that to Mary.  Tongue

Hahaha!! Love it! Big Grin

-walsh
(June 18, 2015 at 1:23 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 18, 2015 at 1:07 am)Crossless1 Wrote: Instead of saying 'Learn more about atheism', the last part of the caption in the third picture should say 'Learn more about Christianity's feeble excuses'.

Then perhaps believers would have one less reason to trot out the tiresome 'atheists act like they are part of a religion' talking point.

Any reason why "Christianity" in particular? There are thousands of religions out there. If anything, it seems like the one you'd be more concerned about is radical Islam...

I mentioned Christianity in particular because the picture in question was obviously taken in a church.  Crosses aren't much of a thing in mosques.  If it makes you feel any better, I'm an across-the-board, equal opportunity foe of all Abrahamic religions -- especially radical Islam.
(June 18, 2015 at 1:22 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(June 18, 2015 at 1:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Sorry. Undecided

That's how you end up with these strange ideas about atheism....from -not- talking to atheists.  The "atheism is like a religion" bit is clearly considered brilliant in some circles, as often as we see it here, but for us, it's just tiresome and aggravating.  I'm gonna level with you, while everyone is still enjoying the glow......I think you're bullshitting me in a very big way.  I don't think you came to that comment yourself or by observation (and after all, you've just now claimed you've never talked to atheists about this.....the preamble offered before you dropped the turd makes -no sense- whatsoever in light of this statement).  This was, essentially, scripted.

Rhythm, I am sorry you feel that way.

I promise you the thoughts I expressed on that post came entirely from me and my observation in the past 7ish or so months. That's approximately how long ago I met and facebook friended a lady I met here in Texas. She's a very outspoken atheist on facebook and is always posting about atheism and posting links to blogs and group pages and stuff. I never brought it up with her, but the observation I made that atheism seems to be treated by some atheists like a religion, is not something I knew other people had ever even thought of before.

When you told me this was not original earlier tonight, my first thought was... "Wow, really? Others have thought of this and made this observation before too?"

Obviously all you have is my word and that's all I can give you. I'd just hate for you to think I'm being deceitful and lying to you. Because that's just not cool.

I have 2 other very dear friends who are atheists whom I have been friends for forever and they have never given me that impression before. They simply just don't believe in God and that's it. So I know it's probably just a minority.

(June 18, 2015 at 1:40 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(June 18, 2015 at 1:23 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Any reason why "Christianity" in particular? There are thousands of religions out there. If anything, it seems like the one you'd be more concerned about is radical Islam...

I mentioned Christianity in particular because the picture in question was obviously taken in a church.  Crosses aren't much of a thing in mosques.  If it makes you feel any better, I'm an across-the-board, equal opportunity foe of all Abrahamic religions -- especially radical Islam.

Oh, haha. Gotcha.

-walsh
No, Cath, it's not a minority of atheists in some "religion of atheism", it is plain and simple bullshit sold -by believers- about atheists out of pure frustration.  Congratulations, you can count yourself among that crowd now. If you want me to stop thinking that you're bullshitting me, stop bullshitting me?  That last little shit and run convo we had was my final straw, what can I say?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11915 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter