Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 6:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What IS good, and how do we determine it?
RE: What IS good, and how do we determine it?
(July 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(July 2, 2015 at 2:23 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: When the staff post in their relevant colours, we're posting as staff.

When we post any other time, we post as members. If this is difficult to understand, Randy, I'm not sure what else can be done. But to clarify, here I am posting as a normal member.

There is no added value whatsoever in us having two accounts, or remaining 'anonymous' (why would we want to do that?).

The advantage in posting as a "regular user" would be that you could argue all you want with another member without that other person knowing that you are a mod. And if that person thought that you, as a regular user, were being abusive or disrespectful, he or she could ignore you. Mods should be neutral...simply applying the rules equally to theist and atheist alike. Unfortunately this is not the way things work here. Atheists can break the trolling rule (you know, the one that says that deliberately provocative posts will not be tolerated), and mods are among the worst offenders of this rule.

For example, I would quickly ignore three or four mods immediately if I could - not because I do not want to obey the rules, but because they use foul language, troll, and generally try to disrupt the threads. Sad, but true. Unfortunately, I have to put up with their non-mod crap because I cannot ignore them. So, I just skim the avatars and breeze past those I'm not really interested in chatting with.

This is a really simple fix...but one that will not be implemented because no one gets the fact that the current system is anything but impartial.

I see others have posted a response so I don't need to say anything further.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I will, because somehow I missed this part:

(July 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Atheists can break the trolling rule (you know, the one that says that deliberately provocative posts will not be tolerated), and mods are among the worst offenders of this rule.

First of all - bullshit, but I quite understand you're not especially big on the whole evidence thing. Secondly, nobody is above the Rules; Staff included. Staff cannot be everywhere, all the time. We act on reports received. We don't receive reports, we can't act. This sort of in-thread accusation does nothing other than piss people off. See, you don't need to use naughty words to troll.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 3, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(July 3, 2015 at 2:25 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Well, I'd vote for you, Stim, and if you wrote a book I'd read it, so.... Big Grin

I've updated my avatar in honour of my new dual identity:

[Image: Abraham%20Hitchens.jpg]

So, you'll be vampire hunting in what little spare time the forums allow you then?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I propose an addition to the forum lexicon -

Pull(ing/ed) a Huggy: to be a demonstratively whiny twat when it comes to how forum rules are enforced in the middle of a thread. Example:

Randy, stop pulling a Huggy.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(July 3, 2015 at 3:27 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(July 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Oh...I've started three threads using an evidential approach...

The approach doesn't matter, if you where a true evidential apologist you would be arguing gods existence based on evidence that a believer and a non believer both agree on, so all presupposition is removed. What your doing is presenting stuff that you think is "evidence" for a god you already presuppose exists.

(July 3, 2015 at 3:30 pm)Neimenovic Wrote:
(July 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Oh...I've started three threads using an evidential approach...

.....and giving ZERO evidence.

Incorrectomundo, gentlemen.

In the "Minimal Fact Approach" thread, I am arguing for the resurrection of Jesus on the basis of four facts which the overwhelming majority of ALL NT scholars (believers and skeptics alike) accept as highly probable. The fifth fact is accepted by a simple majority.

That's kinda the whole point. These are not facts with which you may take issue easily as they are most generally conceded as undisputed.

See ya there.
(July 3, 2015 at 3:34 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(July 3, 2015 at 3:01 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: In your browser, you have two windows open.

In the first window, you are logged in as a regular user. Cuss at me all you want.

In the second window, you are logged in as a mod. Correct me all you want.

Easy peasy.
Doesn't work. Cookies are shared for all windows and tabs of the browser.
Unless we were to keep two different browsers open, one for each account... but that would be hell for some of us.

I find no need for such mechanism, just so a few users could not see what I post as a normal user. It's far easier for those few users to use their bio-ignore function.

I often have two windows open when working in this forum, poca, so that I may monitor multiple threads OR refer from one thread to another.

However, I don't have two accounts so I don't know how that might affect things.

That said, we can and should let this matter drop.
(July 3, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(July 3, 2015 at 2:25 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Well, I'd vote for you, Stim, and if you wrote a book I'd read it, so.... Big Grin

I've updated my avatar in honour of my new dual identity:

[Image: Abraham%20Hitchens.jpg]

Honest Abe. I hope this inspires you to great integrity in your postings.
(July 3, 2015 at 5:59 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: So, you'll be vampire hunting in what little spare time the forums allow you then?

I'll be hunting vampires by using my enormous vocabulary to make them realise the ridiculousness and irrelevance of their existence. Then I'll have a glass of scotch while wearing a tall black hat.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 3, 2015 at 6:08 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Honest Abe. I hope this inspires you to great integrity in your postings.

You misspelled "greater" there.
(July 3, 2015 at 5:54 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I will, because somehow I missed this part:

(July 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Atheists can break the trolling rule (you know, the one that says that deliberately provocative posts will not be tolerated), and mods are among the worst offenders of this rule.

First of all - bullshit, but I quite understand you're not especially big on the whole evidence thing. Secondly, nobody is above the Rules; Staff included. Staff cannot be everywhere, all the time. We act on reports received. We don't receive reports, we can't act. This sort of in-thread accusation does nothing other than piss people off[emphasis added]. See, you don't need to use naughty words to troll.

Well, as you are fond of pointing out, this is ironic. You, and or other mods, may recall my early attempts at pointing out just how often you were violating the "deliberately provocative" aspect of the trolling rule.

Or have you forgotten? (I can pull a huggy on you and re-post that whole exchange if you like.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 12569 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter