Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 3:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(May 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: So . . . you have to believe that Jesus Christ is the son of god and your savior? I think I already said that. Apostle's Creed my shiny white ass.

For anyone who doesn't know thats the Christian version of Assassins Creed. No real combat involved, you just leap on innocent passers by and start screaming Bible passages at them until they convert.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(June 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm)Epimethean Wrote: LOL! Aside from having zero data to back up your initial claim, you probably have no clue about the logical fallacies you committed in even this one small piece of the turd you just laid.

Did you forget to read the thread, Epimethean? I will recap for you. Smile

See: http://atheistforums.org/thread-13016-po...#pid291292
in response to your first link (second quotebox from the bottom) and

http://atheistforums.org/thread-13016-po...#pid290638
in response to the second link (second quotebox from the bottom again, my reply to Annik). You may also want to read around there where we actually look at real government stats which do show that irreligious are overrepresented in prison (though as Mister Agenda points out, some atheists do have a religion, and some theists have none).

Needless to say both your links are nonsense, as you already know if you took the time to investigate these claims yourself and look up reputable sources instead of barely sourced email forwards from "skeptictank" and "holysmoke" (Geez.... Wink ).

The second post I link also includes actual scientific journal articles about the association between irreligion and aggression, impulsivity, etc. Of course that does not apply to religious atheists (who make up a small but significant minority) and does apply to irreligious theists.

Earlier, I linked the study which associated irreligion with psychoticism (lower values of both agreeableness/empathy and conscientiousness) but I'll link it again here since I don't want to dig that far:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...6900002336

So yes, I have an abundance of data to back up my own statements.
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart
(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: Even if we did pretend that they were all atheists, the study still tells us nothing.

I never claimed they were ALL atheists.

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: "A very small percentage of atheists make up a very small amount of prisoners". Studies which focus on religious affiliation paint a rough picture, but its a bit more accurate than that.

The part you have in quotations. What are you quoting from?

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: They show that irreligious people are more prone to aggression etc., and I think its fair to say that that people do associate atheists with irreligion (seeing as some 86% atheists/agnostics are irreligious).

Except those studies don't focus on the irreligious as usually understood (agnostics, atheists, humanists, freethinkers). They focus on how much time people spend in church. They're studies of religious slackers PLUS the irreligious. Given that atheists are a small minority and theists are a large majority who do you think most of the people identified as 'irreligous' in those studies are? How many of the people on Jersey Shore do you think are atheists?

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: That's fair, and I apologize. I tried to put disclaimers on the studies like "just because it says irreligious on average, doesn't make it true of everyone". But maybe it was a can of worms that shouldn't have been opened.

No worries on my end. I don't want to suppress you, but it might be a topic to explore in another thread.

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: Really? Did she end up leaving her convent? Mary is a very common name among my mother's generation, even thought its almost unheard of now. When you go to the Motherhouse though, almost half of the Sisters have names of "Mary [other Saint]". Its a very Marian community with Consecration to Mary every single day.

I'm out of touch with my former step-mother's family, but I believe she died a nun.

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: We have to pick out three names during our first year (postulancy), and when we take our vows, our Mother Superior calls out the name she has chosen for us as the first time we hear our new name. I am getting much too ahead of myself trying to pick out my top 3 when I haven't gotten my papers yet. Tongue

I hope you get your favorite of the three, or whichever will make you a better nun.
(June 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm)Aiza Wrote:
(June 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm)Epimethean Wrote: LOL! Aside from having zero data to back up your initial claim, you probably have no clue about the logical fallacies you committed in even this one small piece of the turd you just laid.

Did you forget to read the thread, Epimethean? I will recap for you. Smile

See: http://atheistforums.org/thread-13016-po...#pid291292
in response to your first link (second quotebox from the bottom) and

http://atheistforums.org/thread-13016-po...#pid290638
in response to the second link (second quotebox from the bottom again, my reply to Annik). You may also want to read around there where we actually look at real government stats which do show that irreligious are overrepresented in prison (though as Mister Agenda points out, some atheists do have a religion, and some theists have none).

Needless to say both your links are nonsense, as you already know if you took the time to investigate these claims yourself and look up reputable sources instead of barely sourced email forwards from "skeptictank" and "holysmoke" (Geez.... Wink ).

The second post I link also includes actual scientific journal articles about the association between irreligion and aggression, impulsivity, etc. Of course that does not apply to religious atheists (who make up a small but significant minority) and does apply to irreligious theists.

Earlier, I linked the study which associated irreligion with psychoticism (lower values of both agreeableness/empathy and conscientiousness) but I'll link it again here since I don't want to dig that far:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...6900002336

So yes, I have an abundance of data to back up my own statements.

Did you think we would take an article written by a Catholic at a Catholic university as legitimate when it comes to classifications? You are more foolish than even I thought if you do. That article is rubbish. An interesting detail about that university:

"After Flemish claims of discrimination at the Catholic University of Leuven, the decision was made to split the institution into the Dutch language Katholieke Universiteit Leuven which remained in Leuven, and the Université Catholique de Louvain."

Also,

"The College was founded in 1857 by the bishops of the United States, under the leadership of Bishop Martin J. Spalding of Louisville and Bishop Peter Paul Lefevere of Detroit. Its founding purpose was twofold: to train young European men to serve as missionary priests in North America and to give American seminarians the opportunity to study at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Co...Conception
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:That article is rubbish.

Well yes, it comes under the broad heading of presuppositional apologetics. By that I mean such people argue from a position of personal,dogmatic certitude. They are unwilling to entertain the possibility of error in even their most basic assumption;the existence of god . Such flawed studies are no more than pathetic rationalisations.

Such people to me are intellectually dishonest. (at the very least) I try not to waste my time with them. I am not always successful,but mostly..
Fight the good fight, Pad. Fuck the religious twats.
(June 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Fight the good fight, Pad. Fuck the religious twats.

Actually,in my opinion,indifference or ridicule are far more effective (and insulting) than hatred or abuse.

EG imagine if people simply laughed at or ignored Fred Phelps and his bunch of inbred mental defectives,

Of course,if he tried that shit here,the women would beat the crap out of the lot of them. Our authorities are acutely aware of this, so have refused Fred and his spawn entry for their own protection.Angel Cloud
You're a bigger man than I. I personally loathe the brainwashing effects of theism, and I get the sense the bastards are too dull-witted to understand sarcasm.
The Phelps clan are banned from our fair isles too, though more for our protection than for theirs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamps...898972.stm

Quote:The UK Border Agency said it opposed "extremism in all its forms".

A spokesman added: "Both these individuals have engaged in unacceptable behaviour by inciting hatred against a number of communities.

"We will continue to stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country.

"The exclusions policy is targeted at all those who seek to stir up tension and provoke others to violence regardless of their origins and beliefs."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm)Epimethean Wrote: You're a bigger man than I. I personally loathe the brainwashing effects of theism, and I get the sense the bastards are too dull-witted to understand sarcasm.

Please don't misunderstand; I meant IDEALLY,not what I actually DO.

I can be a real old cunt to ANYONE who annoys me. Nothing to do with their religious beliefs and everything to do with them being annoying stuffwits.

It's pure coincidence that [here] the vast majority of stuffwits,,dicks,drongos, dills, ratbags, ignoramuses and purblind fools are also religious. Angel Cloud