Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 8:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case for Atheism
RE: The Case for Atheism
(August 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm)AnaMejiaP Wrote: I was wondering on what logical premise do you have to not believe in a God? I know that a lot of atheist have different opinions and arguments. I'm only asking to get a better understanding on the matter, and I'm not here to argue against Atheist (not yet that is) just inviting a friendly conversation.

When you figure out why you don't believe in the thousands of other gods mankind has proposed, perhaps you'll have your answer.
(August 13, 2013 at 3:08 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(August 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm)AnaMejiaP Wrote: I was wondering on what logical premise do you have to not believe in a God? I know that a lot of atheist have different opinions and arguments. I'm only asking to get a better understanding on the matter, and I'm not here to argue against Atheist (not yet that is) just inviting a friendly conversation.

There is insufficient demonstrable evidence, valid & sound logic, and reasoned argument to support the claim that a god exists.

In other words, the claim that a god exists has not met its burden of proof.

My disbelief in a god is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one. My atheism will continue as long as the claim that a god exists does not meet the above criteria.

Fair enough.
(August 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm)AnaMejiaP Wrote: Yes, I do believe in the God of the Bible. Though it wasn't what I was asking, it doesn't matter whether it's my God or any other god. I was simply asking what's the logical reasoning not to believe in "A" God?
(You stated that you see no reason to start; what's that reason then?)
On the side note: "One less god?" I'm sorry but are we talking about the same atheist term? I thought (correct me if so) Atheist believe in (no) god for the lack of evidence for such a deity? In saying that, I can't be an "almost atheist" because I do believe in one and deny the others because they're false. (Well, that's my belief and I can understand you might find that silly, stupid, bigotted, ignorant etc etc)

Oh boy. Okay.

Quote:Though it wasn't what I was asking, it doesn't matter whether it's my God or any other god. I was simply asking what's the logical reasoning not to believe in "A" God?

No, it does matter. The fact that you don't believe in Allah is, for some atheists, proof that there's no reason for them to believe in Yahweh. What's so unreasonable about Greek mythology compared to Christianity or Islam that it's branded "mythology"? The fact that there are other beliefs, each with about as much proof as yours, deters many from believing because it opens the mind to the question: "Wait, what makes one religion correct and the others incorrect?"

Quote: In saying that, I can't be an "almost atheist" because I do believe in one and deny the others because they're false.

There's the point. How do you know that they're false? Religion is irrational for these reasons and more.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(August 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

When you figure out why you don't believe in the thousands of other gods mankind has proposed, perhaps you'll have your answer.

I might not believe in (correction) millions of other gods but I do believe in one. I was asking why (you) don't believe in a god?

(August 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(August 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm)AnaMejiaP Wrote: I was wondering on what logical premise do you have to not believe in a God?

That the buden of proof for god's existence has not been met.

What type of burden of proof?
It's gonna start with an E...can you guess what he's gonna say?
(August 13, 2013 at 3:21 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote:
(August 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm)AnaMejiaP Wrote: Yes, I do believe in the God of the Bible. Though it wasn't what I was asking, it doesn't matter whether it's my God or any other god. I was simply asking what's the logical reasoning not to believe in "A" God?
(You stated that you see no reason to start; what's that reason then?)
On the side note: "One less god?" I'm sorry but are we talking about the same atheist term? I thought (correct me if so) Atheist believe in (no) god for the lack of evidence for such a deity? In saying that, I can't be an "almost atheist" because I do believe in one and deny the others because they're false. (Well, that's my belief and I can understand you might find that silly, stupid, bigotted, ignorant etc etc)

Oh boy. Okay.

Quote:Though it wasn't what I was asking, it doesn't matter whether it's my God or any other god. I was simply asking what's the logical reasoning not to believe in "A" God?

No, it does matter. The fact that you don't believe in Allah is, for some atheists, proof that there's no reason for them to believe in Yahweh. What's so unreasonable about Greek mythology compared to Christianity or Islam that it's branded "mythology"? The fact that there are other beliefs, each with about as much proof as yours, deters many from believing because it opens the mind to the question: "Wait, what makes one religion correct and the others incorrect?"

Quote: In saying that, I can't be an "almost atheist" because I do believe in one and deny the others because they're false.

There's the point. How do you know that they're false? Religion is irrational for these reasons and more.

I see your point. Basically, you don't believe in a god because our ideology is either believing in a monotheistic or polytheistic religion when we reject the other?
(August 13, 2013 at 3:26 pm)AnaMejiaP Wrote: What type of burden of proof?

Its been stated several times: demonstrable evidence and valid/sound logic.

I'll bet there are many supernatural claims (alien abductions, existence of Jinn, crystal healing, shapeshifting, etc, etc) that you disbelieve for the exact same reason why we disbelieve that a god exists. Lack of demonstrable evidence and valid/sound logic.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Well, the main thing is lack of sufficient reason to think any of them are real. But some of us are curious to know by what criteria theists believe one or only some of them are real and the rest are not, but find some people not believing in any of them unfathomable.

We know why we (atheist rationalists) don't think they're real: lack of good evidence, lack of falsifiability, and lack of arguments in favor of at least one that are both sound and valid.

We don't know why you don't think the ones you agree with us aren't real, aren't real. Well, I personally think it's because that's what your religion teaches you, but a lot of theists don't seem to want to come right out and say that (understandably so, I think).
(August 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Well, the main thing is lack of sufficient reason to think any of them are real. But some of us are curious to know by what criteria theists believe one or only some of them are real and the rest are not, but find some people not believing in any of them unfathomable.

We know why we (atheist rationalists) don't think they're real: lack of good evidence, lack of falsifiability, and lack of arguments in favor of at least one that are both sound and valid.

We don't know why you don't think the ones you agree with us aren't real, aren't real. Well, I personally think it's because that's what your religion teaches you, but a lot of theists don't seem to want to come right out and say that (understandably so, I think).

Actually I totally agree with you. I think a lot of theist today, or so-called theist just simply believe because they were either brought up in that environment, and like you said it's what our religion teaches us. You will be surprised how many "Christians" don't know why they believe in a God. I believe blind faith is utter bullshit.

(August 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(August 13, 2013 at 3:26 pm)AnaMejiaP Wrote: What type of burden of proof?

Its been stated several times: demonstrable evidence and valid/sound logic.

I'll bet there are many supernatural claims (alien abductions, existence of Jinn, crystal healing, shapeshifting, etc, etc) that you disbelieve for the exact same reason why we disbelieve that a god exists. Lack of demonstrable evidence and valid/sound logic.

So here's another question: I have atheist friends who claim if God demonstrated he was real they will believe? Others have said that they will still not believe...what if you were given that demonstrable evidence and valid reasoning to believe?
Quote:I was wondering on what logical premise do you have to not believe in a God?

Wrong question. The right question is, why do believe something which has no empirical evidence for its existence?

I do not have to demonstrate that invisible pink unicorns do not exist because I am not making the claim that they do. You apparently believe in an invisible sky daddy. Evidence of same is required.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6634 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Cold-Case Christianity LadyForCamus 32 4633 May 24, 2019 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith Alexmahone 10 1815 March 4, 2018 at 6:52 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27376 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The curious case of Sarah Salviander. Jehanne 24 6322 December 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12586 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Case closed on making cases against the case for stuff, in case you were wondering. Whateverist 27 5757 December 11, 2014 at 8:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  the case against the case against god chris(tnt)rhol 92 16232 December 10, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12184 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10539 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0