Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith
Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith
Just wondering if any of you have read this book. It was originally published in 1979. It was recently reissued with a foreword by Lawrence Krauss.

Some snippets:

He defines theist as someone who believes that a god exists. An atheist is anyone who is not a theist. There is no third position.

Quote:Agnosticism is commonly used as a refuge for those who wish to escape the stigma of atheism...

So true, lol.

There are 2 kinds of atheists: implicit atheists and explicit atheists. Implicit atheists may be people who are unfamiliar with theism but have not explicitly rejected the existence of god. Little children are implicit atheists. Explicit atheists believe there is no god.

My favorite line from the book so far:

Quote:This book is not a critique of theism plus a defense of atheism: the critique of theism is the defense of atheism.
RE: Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith
I think it was the first or 2nd atheist book I read. The other book being Losing Faith in Faith by Dan Barker.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(March 3, 2018 at 7:29 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Just wondering if any of you have read this book. It was originally published in 1979. It was recently reissued with a foreword by Lawrence Krauss.

Some snippets:

He defines theist as someone who believes that a god exists. An atheist is anyone who is not a theist. There is no third position.

Quote:Agnosticism is commonly used as a refuge for those who wish to escape the stigma of atheism...

So true, lol.

There are 2 kinds of atheists: implicit atheists and explicit atheists. Implicit atheists may be people who are unfamiliar with theism but have not explicitly rejected the existence of god. Little children are implicit atheists. Explicit atheists believe there is no god.

My favorite line from the book so far:

Quote:This book is not a critique of theism plus a defense of atheism: the critique of theism is the defense of atheism.

No but my two most favorite books are not by the "Four Horsemen".

1. Victor Stenger, "God, The Failed Hypothesis"

2. Victor Stenger, " The New Atheism"

I love the second one listed the most. In it he argues there is no "separate but equal" when it comes to religion and science. He also in later chapters explains that you can find similar moral motifs in every religion, such of that of giving and charity. That says to me, our morality isn't in old mythology, but in our evolution.

But I just looked him up. If he valued Ayn Rand, that is where you lost me. I think libertarians get social issues right, but are even worse on economics than the GOP. I hate Ayn Rand. And no, that does not mean I support Che or Castro either.
I bought the thing in hardback when it was first released but I found it uranium heavy, I'm pretty sure I chucked it. As per your quote:

From memory the whole thing reads this way. While the prose is hardly impenetrable it certainly isn’t easy to absorb.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Never read anything by the guy. Only a couple times in my life have I read atheistic related material. First was Robert Green Ingersoll's agnostic oratory works and then a few years back was a book by Sam Harris and one by Dawkins.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Never read a book about atheism. I'm told they never get it quite right.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 3, 2018 at 9:54 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Never read a book about atheism. I'm told they never get it quite right.

Judging by the tens of thousands of schisms, large and small, within religion I have to say that the atheist authors seem to have gotten closer to "right" than any of the holy book scribblers ever managed.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(March 3, 2018 at 9:43 pm)Succubus Wrote: I bought the thing in hardback when it was first released but I found it uranium heavy, I'm pretty sure I chucked it. As per your quote:

From memory the whole thing reads this way. While the prose is hardly impenetrable it certainly isn’t easy to absorb.

Well, he does consider himself a philosopher. 

From the intro:

Quote:As a philosopher, I am continually amazed by the credence given to religious claims in the intellectual community...

I must say that I like his prose.
I read it a long time ago. He's quite emphatic, if I remember rightly, and makes a large turn towards objectivism in mid-book.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
For my money, the Bible remains the strongest argument against theism that can be imagined.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12092 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 14451 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6048 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 18550 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Cold-Case Christianity LadyForCamus 32 4336 May 24, 2019 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 77029 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Rebellion against god purplepurpose 285 35263 March 6, 2018 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Banned
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26876 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The curious case of Sarah Salviander. Jehanne 24 6137 December 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Case for Atheism Drew_2013 410 205433 March 17, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Whateverist