Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The last person to post wins !
RE: The last person to post wins !
(November 13, 2014 at 5:12 pm)abaris Wrote:
(November 13, 2014 at 5:09 pm)Beccs Wrote: Yup.

And I've ridden ambulances and had a beer bottle thrown at my head, too.

How did a beer bottle make it into the ambulance?

Usually, when we had very drunk and disorderly or disturbed people, a police officer would ride with us.

We were called to a party where someone had been injured.

Lots of drunks around. While I was near the ambulance a bottle smashed against it not far from my head.

My response was to identify the guy who did it and I was just starting to make my way to him when a cop tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Let me deal with it."

He must have seen the look on my face.

ROFLOL
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 13, 2014 at 5:17 pm)Beccs Wrote: Lots of drunks around. While I was near the ambulance a bottle smashed against it not far from my head.

I can raise you one. Once the police called us to a domestic and the husband decided to play OK corral. That's the beauty of having nearly as liberal gun laws as the US.

That was one of the reasons why I quit that job after three years. The other one was my parents really getting on in years and I didn't want to be the one to be called to their house.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 13, 2014 at 5:23 pm)abaris Wrote:
(November 13, 2014 at 5:17 pm)Beccs Wrote: Lots of drunks around. While I was near the ambulance a bottle smashed against it not far from my head.

I can raise you one. Once the police called us to a domestic and the husband decided to play OK corral. That's the beauty of having nearly as liberal gun laws as the US.

That was one of the reasons why I quit that job after three years. The other one was my parents really getting on in years and I didn't want to be the one to be called to their house.

Yup, you got a better one than me.

Never encountered anything like that.

I was only doing it as part of my training. I haven't done it for a couple of years now.
(November 13, 2014 at 5:26 pm)Beccs Wrote: I was only doing it as part of my training. I haven't done it for a couple of years now.

I'm always amazed at doctors doing it for their whole lives. I've seen dead bodies at all stages of decomp to last me a lifetime.

Strangely, what got to me the most, besides watching what it did to the relatives, was the banality. People sitting in their beds, an open book still in their lap, sitting in their chairs after having commited suicide by ODing on something, the television still running.
(November 13, 2014 at 5:33 pm)abaris Wrote:
(November 13, 2014 at 5:26 pm)Beccs Wrote: I was only doing it as part of my training. I haven't done it for a couple of years now.

I'm always amazed at doctors doing it for their whole lives. I've seen dead bodies at all stages of decomp to last me a lifetime.

Strangely, what got to me the most, besides watching what it did to the relatives, was the banality. People sitting in their beds, an open book still in their lap, sitting in their chairs after having commited suicide by ODing on something, the television still running.

It is insane and it gets to you.

Fortunately I've gone into surgery so I don't see as many dead people - though I have lost patients.

I've noticed I've developed what could be called a questionable sense of humour - possibly dark humour.

Sometimes you just have to or you'd go crazy.
(November 13, 2014 at 5:37 pm)Beccs Wrote: It is insane and it gets to you.

Fortunately I've gone into surgery so I don't see as many dead people - though I have lost patients.

I've noticed I've developed what could be called a questionable sense of humour - possibly dark humour.

I did this from 1993 to 1996. But one incident will stick with me till the end of my life. We were called to a woman with a terminal brain tumor. She had fallen into a coma and we transported her to a clinic to have an MRI. It was very clear, she was in a terminal state and her relatives (she was pretty young, about 40ish) stood outside crying. And I have this picture of the doctors and technicians doing the MRI, laughing and joking, while her family waited outside, shocked and crying.

That was nearly too much for me, although between us, we also joked and fooled around to make situations bearable.
(November 13, 2014 at 5:44 pm)abaris Wrote:
(November 13, 2014 at 5:37 pm)Beccs Wrote: It is insane and it gets to you.

I did this from 1993 to 1996. But one incident will stick with me till the end of my life. We were called to a woman with a terminal brain tumor. She had fallen into a coma and we transported her to a clinic to have an MRI. It was very clear, she was in a terminal state and her relatives (she was pretty young, about 40ish) stood outside crying. And I have this picture of the doctors and technicians doing the MRI, laughing and joking, while her family waited outside, shocked and crying.

That was nearly too much for me, although between us, we also joked and fooled around to make situations bearable.

It happens. I joke, but not around the patients or their families and not ABOUT the patients or their families.

Some people just get too blasé about it. I have told off an intern about it a couple of years ago, and I've experienced it far too often.
(November 13, 2014 at 5:49 pm)Beccs Wrote: It happens. I joke, but not around the patients or their families and not ABOUT the patients or their families.

Some people just get too blasé about it. I have told off an intern about it a couple of years ago, and I've experienced it far too often.

No, no, that's perfectly OK. I had a very good friend back then and we were often riding together. One day we were called to a body decomposing in the summer heat and he said: "Any riper and we could have buttered our breads with him". We both laughed. I think, there are some things in life you couldn't bear when letting them too close.

What I said above was about the contrast. You know, the door was open and you could see these people being devasted in the corridor. And they could see what was going on inside.
(November 13, 2014 at 5:55 pm)abaris Wrote:
(November 13, 2014 at 5:49 pm)Beccs Wrote: It happens. I joke, but not around the patients or their families and not ABOUT the patients or their families.

No, no, that's perfectly OK. I had a very good friend back then and we were often riding together. One day we were called to a body decomposing in the summer heat and he said: "Any riper and we could have buttered our breads with him". We both laughed. I think, there are some things in life you couldn't bear when letting them too close.

What I said above was about the contrast. You know, the door was open and you could see these people being devasted in the corridor. And they could see what was going on inside.

Yeah, that's just heartless and ridiculous in front of the family.
Too good to let it go to waste.

[Image: talking-bear-jesus.jpg]

[Image: talking-bear-jesus-last_supper2-small.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Last Movie You Watched Foxaèr 5440 482199 3 hours ago
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  A person and a pet Foxaèr 8 513 August 19, 2023 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 564 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1696 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2189 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1729 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  Save the best for last person brewer 23 1928 September 16, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 1111 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2850 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Bill paying and automated vs real person on phone Brian37 36 1993 September 2, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*