Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 10:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
RE: The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
(November 8, 2018 at 7:26 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(November 8, 2018 at 7:07 am)Joods Wrote: That thread is special. The OP was claiming nearly from the get go that he was right and that the "debate" was over. One only needs to read a few pages into that mess to see how the rest of it was going to go.

"few pages"... and yet, we got crap right on page 1.
That is a symptom of how things are around here, now.... and I speak of one of the threads I know... I'm sure it happens in many others.

It still speaks to my original point though.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
There's always going to be a range of attitudes and engagement styles on the atheist side, just as there is going to be a range of styles on the theist side, from the thoughtful and engaging, like Neo, Steve, and alpha, to the shitters, like snowtracks, CDF47, and Little Rik. To expect one side not to express the variety of human nature and not the other is unrealistic, IMHO. I'm sad that we have seen a growing silence or departure from the more thoughtful theists, but I don't trace it to any change in behavior of atheists. I think the discussion the theists had about their purposes in being here recently may have contributed some to that growing silence, but others, like Mystic and CL, clearly have their own reasons for departing.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Maybe it's just me, but calling Kit and Tizheruk nasty is rude and unwarranted.
(November 8, 2018 at 8:36 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: There's always going to be a range of attitudes and engagement styles on the atheist side, just as there is going to be a range of styles on the theist side, from the thoughtful and engaging, like Neo, Steve, and alpha, to the shitters, like snowtracks, CDF47, and Little Rik.  To expect one side not to express the variety of human nature and not the other is unrealistic, IMHO.  I'm sad that we have seen a growing silence or departure from the more thoughtful theists, but I don't trace it to any change in behavior of atheists.  I think the discussion the theists had about their purposes in being here recently may have contributed some to that growing silence, but others, like Mystic and CL, clearly have their own reasons for departing.

I wouldn't include alpha in that list of thoughtful simply because he's an admitted troll. He doesn't want thoughtful and engaging posts. He wants the complete opposite.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(November 8, 2018 at 9:19 am)Grandizer Wrote: Maybe it's just me, but calling Kit and Tizheruk nasty is rude and unwarranted.

I went back through the pages, but I could not see where I was mentioned in this thread.
(November 8, 2018 at 9:35 am)Kit Wrote:
(November 8, 2018 at 9:19 am)Grandizer Wrote: Maybe it's just me, but calling Kit and Tizheruk nasty is rude and unwarranted.

I went back through the pages, but I could not see where I was mentioned in this thread.

You're nasty and rude and unwarranted.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 8, 2018 at 9:40 am)wyzas Wrote: You're nasty and rude and unwarranted.

*hits your nose with a rolled up newspaper*
(November 8, 2018 at 2:29 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(November 7, 2018 at 7:18 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think this place just isn't her flavor.

It used to be...
During the past year (maybe a bit more), I've noticed this place becoming more hostile towards theists.
Some people tend to be respectful, like whateverist and Tiberius.... Some people are engaging, like khem or jorm...
But some people are just nasty, like kit and tizheruk.

Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions, as long as they follow the rules... But the vocal nasties make those same theists feel unwelcome. And that is something that didn't seem to happen when Rayaan was admin.
There was more respect, back then.
I've even noticed my own motivation for posting on religious threads dropping, as I don't care to engage when others are just insulting people. Why should I bother to write something, if I expect the religious to feel insulted and just leave, never to read my words?

It's been a sad realization about this place...
But you guys do you.
Those of us who are more interested in the actual exchange of ideas and in understanding each other will, in time, find some other place... Or some niche within this one... Time will tell how things turn out.

Kit is nasty? Damn I thought that was Min’s job
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Oh, there it is.

(November 8, 2018 at 2:29 am)pocaracas Wrote: But some people are just nasty, like kit and tizheruk.

I'm tactlessly honest. Cool There's a difference.
(November 8, 2018 at 2:29 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(November 7, 2018 at 7:18 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think this place just isn't her flavor.
Those of us who are more interested in the actual exchange of ideas and in understanding each other will, in time, find some other place... Or some niche within this one... Time will tell how things turn out.

While calling other people nasties, you say this. Guess the people who jump ship are the only ones interested in an actual exchange of ideas.

As for theists leaving, if they're going to let the vocal minority run them off, they weren't here to exchange ideas with atheists. That's almost never the case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 10545 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4226 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10603 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Please Explain to a Newly Inducted "Old Fart" thesummerqueen 44 13504 November 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Cinjin