Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
RE: The Newly Departed thread: announcements
No skin off my nose apo, although I can't speak for others, or, for other times.

It is true than once a mod, thread lightly.
Screw one sheep...
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 18, 2015 at 1:19 pm)Stimbo Wrote: No, I'm not suggesting it as policy; any changes on that level would warrant a forumwide announcement anyway. So aside from one regrettable incident, which I admit was worded poorly, are there any examples of Staff intimidation?

To my memory, that was the most salient example. You may not realize it, but particularly for a non-moderator, any time a mod chews you out, it's intimidating. I'm not going to attempt to bring up further examples as the point is not to single out particular people. This is just a personal impression, but the mods as a whole have been on edge lately, resulting in unusually many 'angry' responses. I'm just worried about the trend, and, I think it would lead to a better forum if, instead of angry responses, cool diplomacy occurred more frequently.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Good, finally, something of me is rubbing on someone *tranforms into a lubricant*
It's fair comment. I think there is a danger we can get too complacent in the job. We have to guard against that. It's not a licence for certain individuals to act like shits in such circumstances, though. That's what the strike was about.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
That is a worthwhile point, ras.

While we are regular members, we still have a responsibility to represent the staff and the forum as a whole, as we are more visible. When we are acting in a moderator capacity, it should be incumbent upon us to be as neutral as possible.

We are human, though. And we do have reactions when people who have had posts moderated and/or warnings issued publicly make personal attacks on our integrity and our ability to moderate the forum. There is something to be said for not reacting swiftly when someone does question the integrity of the staff. We do not want to set a precedent where that is tolerated in any way.

I think in the vast majority of situations, people accept moderation and move forward like adults. People like to push under the guise of anonymity. And we cannot tolerate that permanently.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Lynch apophenia.

Oops, wrong thread.
Oh, what have I done?!

(May 18, 2015 at 12:38 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(May 18, 2015 at 12:20 pm)pocaracas Wrote: If you feel some rules are unfair or have been used to treat some people unfairly, please let us know. We'll discuss an improvement of the rule in question and Tib, should he agree (it's his site, after all), will then make the appropriate change.

This sounds good in theory, but I've noticed when somebody does criticize application of the rules, often they are threatened with retaliation for voicing their opinion.

"often"? Sad

Maybe there's a dependence on "how" such criticism is presented... after all, we are humans and subject to human flaws.... and no one likes it when others question how we do our jobs.
"Often" and "retaliation" are big words, Apo. Care to try harder at backing your assertion? Or maybe you'd like to retract your statement. It's extremely unrepresentative and insulting.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(May 18, 2015 at 11:55 am)ChadWooters Wrote: How do I actually delete my account? I want to leave permanently. Good thoughtful people are being mistreated by the mods (Hats) and long-time members have been banned (Frodo and Drich). I know the mods have their reasons and consider their decisions fair. I disagree, but it’s your forum. IMO it’s no longer a place for theists to have healthy dialog and discussions.

Let Jesus guide you:

[Image: jesus_20dick_203-500x375.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 10163 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4141 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10232 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Please Explain to a Newly Inducted "Old Fart" thesummerqueen 44 13412 November 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Cinjin