Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 NFL thread
RE: 2015 NFL thread
(December 11, 2015 at 12:44 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I didn't see the play, but I'm assuming there's pretty much time to just run the one play.

You do that when the playcaller deems that your team's chances are better for scoring and winning the game *now* rather than in overtime, or you have zero confidence in your kicker.

Vast majority of the time you kick the FG, but there are edge cases where you don't.

The clock was stopped at 13 seconds, and they had no timeouts, on the 31 yard line, so whatever happens they had to either throw an incomplete pass, or get the catch to a receiver who can then either easily score a touchdown or get out of bounds in time to stop the clock for the field goal attempt.

I dunno, it just seemed way too risky to me when I was watching the game, and then low and behold Bridgewater holds onto the ball for too long and gets sacked, which would have been enough to doom the Vikings, but he also fumbles the ball and the Cardinals recover.

Play is here: http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/12/teddy-b...cardinals/
(December 11, 2015 at 12:59 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(December 11, 2015 at 12:44 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I didn't see the play, but I'm assuming there's pretty much time to just run the one play.

You do that when the playcaller deems that your team's chances are better for scoring and winning the game *now* rather than in overtime, or you have zero confidence in your kicker.

Vast majority of the time you kick the FG, but there are edge cases where you don't.

The clock was stopped at 13 seconds, and they had no timeouts, on the 31 yard line, so whatever happens they had to either throw an incomplete pass, or get the catch to a receiver who can then either easily score a touchdown or get out of bounds in time to stop the clock for the field goal attempt.

I dunno, it just seemed way too risky to me when I was watching the game, and then low and behold Bridgewater holds onto the ball for too long and gets sacked, which would have been enough to doom the Vikings, but he also fumbles the ball and the Cardinals recover.

Play is here: http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/12/teddy-b...cardinals/

Sounds like the coach had more confidence in his O-line and quarterback than his kicker.

From the 31, that's a 48 yard attempt. Blair Walsh is their placekicker? His stats tell me he has accuracy problems. He's about 80% overall, and a 48 yard kick is no gimme. Walsh has missed three attempts inside of 50 yards. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't.

13 seconds is enough time for a pass to the sideline or end zone, with time for another play.

One chance to *maybe* tie the game, or two chances to use your offense to win it - as long as nothing disastrous happens (which it did).

This is kind of a damned if you, damned if you don't situation whenever you get it wrong. It's also one of those tough choices that have to be considered when you don't have confidence in your kicker.
If anyone wants to talk about lonely kickers in the locker room, the youngens wont remember a certain Superbowl reapeating team as part of a 4 streak loss, of which one was lost by 3. OOOOOOPS.
Andy Dalton is out with an injured finger thumb. Not good for the Bengals.
Good for me! Tyler Eifert out as well. Moar! (not happy they're injured, happy they're out - neither of these injuries is career threatening.)
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Same, I don't like seeing players injured, but if the Steelers keep their act together, the Patriots will have an easier time getting the 1st / 2nd AFC seed.
I want the playoff drought to continue. Also, if AJ McCarron sucks it up enough, the Steelers could win the division. Long shot, but possible. Get past this game and next week at home vs Denver, and it's Cleveland and Baltimore to finish.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Will Gay with the pick 6!

Ties him with Rod Woodson for most in team history...

I too want the Steelers to win against Denver. :-P
(December 13, 2015 at 4:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I too want the Steelers to win against Denver. :-P

You're team needing a little help now?!? Tongue
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Unofficial NFL Thread Brian37 158 9209 March 11, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How could I miss this rule for 55 years in the NFL? Brian37 14 1731 December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  CFL VS NFL..... Brian37 28 3072 August 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Anyone watching the NFL draft? Brian37 11 1229 May 2, 2021 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  NFL Pro Bowl Brian37 0 281 January 31, 2021 at 9:39 am
  NFL and Covid....... Cam Newton..... Brian37 2 457 October 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NFL triva..... Brian37 2 359 September 29, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  NFL's Tom Dempsey latest victim of virus. Brian37 3 791 April 5, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Athene
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1056 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Two NFL records broken this weekend. Brian37 0 342 January 20, 2019 at 11:21 pm