Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
The Atheist Obsession with Insulting Christians
RE: The Atheist Obsession with Insulting Christians
If i wanted to insult a christian i wouldn't have to try hard i mean Ken Ham the guy would in the presence of evidence would
gladly not accept evidence that conflicts with his belief. So that being said i don't have to try hard he could and has made a fool
of his own self in the Bill Nye vs Ken Ham debate literally in the debate Nye looked at Ken as he defeated his own self on stage
he pretty much done his own argument in.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(September 21, 2015 at 8:03 pm)Losty Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 7:54 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: So lame. So so lame.

Arguing for atheism is lame. Atheism is a lack of belief in any god. What is there to argue?

What you said is true, but Atheists usually take it further. They take the stance that people should not believe in God. And I've only seen one person (Tiberius) be humble enough to say perhaps people do know God exists, he doesn't know that, just that he doesn't believe he knows God exists.

That to me is a respectable Atheist. I respect him for that. But to argue you don't know whether or not God exists, and other people should then all not know it, is another stance all together. The only way to justify the stance is either to show God doesn't exist or why if he does exist people can't have knowledge of his existence. Good luck with either.
(September 21, 2015 at 8:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 8:15 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I'll check it out when my fingers are not flying so furiously (and I can tone down the alliteration, apparently). 

I rarely agree with you, C_L, as you know... but your heart is kind and in the right place, and I think that is the single most important consideration when taking the measure of a person. So I like the hell out of ye. Smile

No worries, it's long and boring and my participation doesn't begin till page 6, but since it's been brought up in the argument, at least you can have the chance to judge for yourself if you are curious. Shy

Thanks again for the kind things you said to me. I like you too, as you know.

Yeah I would say CL has certainly been on the receiving end of some harsh criticism but as rocket pointed out (and CL and I have discussed) a lot of the time topics can strike a personal chord and our emotional pain associated can circumvent societal pleasantries but what's important is how you handle it and she has proven to be a champion through it. She left briefly but the forum is certainly better for her return.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(September 21, 2015 at 8:39 pm)lkingpinl Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 8:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: No worries, it's long and boring and my participation doesn't begin till page 6, but since it's been brought up in the argument, at least you can have the chance to judge for yourself if you are curious.  Shy

Thanks again for the kind things you said to me. I like you too, as you know.

Yeah I would say CL has certainly been on the receiving end of some harsh criticism but as rocket pointed out (and CL and I have discussed) a lot of the time topics can strike a personal chord and our emotional pain associated can circumvent societal pleasantries but what's important is how you handle it and she has proven to be a champion through it. She left briefly but the forum is certainly better for her return.

Very true. But I would also say that it is no excuse to treat someone badly when they personally had nothing to do with whatever pain you went through in your past. That's just not ok. The thread in question wasn't about any sort of trigger topic, like abortion or Hell or anything like that, either. So, yeah. I'm not going to pretend there isn't any sort of bigotry against theists amongst some people here. And I want it to be clear that I am not complaining about this. Merely backing up my initial claim that Randy's OP had *a* point, because I feel like many people here are not acknowledging this fact. 

Anyway, I'm not really trying to be a part of this discussion anymore because I don't want to offend anyone or make them think I am prejudiced against atheists. 

Peace out, hoes!  Shy
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I try to treat everyone with a potent combination of whimsy, sarcasm and unadulterated evil. Everyone gets both barrels.
Except the Mrs... theres no joke coming. I value my life and/or testicles.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(September 21, 2015 at 8:39 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: What you said is true, but Atheists usually take it further. They take the stance that people should not believe in God. And I've only seen one person (Tiberius) be humble enough to say perhaps people do know God exists, he doesn't know that, just that he doesn't believe he knows God exists.

That to me is a respectable Atheist. I respect him for that. But to argue you don't know whether or not God exists, and other people should then all not know it, is another stance all together. The only way to justify the stance is either to show God doesn't exist or why if he does exist people can't have knowledge of his existence. Good luck with either.

Those two positions aren't mutually exclusive, you know. Maybe there are people who know that god exists, but for some reason that doesn't stop their evidence from being very poor, meaning that they may in fact know something I don't, but that from my perspective it is impossible to rationally accept their claims on the basis of what they are showing me. So from where I'm standing- which is the only place I can argue from- people should not believe in god because every indication I have shows this to be either a false or unsupported belief.

I simply cannot accept the arguments and evidence being presented for god, because the fallacies and inaccuracies don't go away just because the person making them might be right. If you're right, you're right, and nobody can take that away from you... but that still doesn't make your arguments good. The existence of a god is ultimately separate from the arguments and evidence for one, but I can only accept or reject the claim based on the latter, after all.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I am an equal opportunities atheist. I treat everyone with equal contempt.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 21, 2015 at 8:11 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I wasn't here for the C_L "bullying" incident, but I suspect it was just a fierce contention of an issue that got out of hand. People can get emotional and drop the pretense of civility that forms the basis of most social interactions. Given that she has such a high reputation, now, I suspect you're slanting the evidence here.

In case you are interested: http://atheistforums.org/thread-34779.html

Thanks for the kind words, btw.

Just finished reading that thread. Yes, I saw that the commentary and ad hominems  by our zealots got way, way over the top. You handled it pretty well, I thought.

But here's the other thing I noticed. Every comment you made that said "whoa, that's offsides" (paraphrase) was also being reiterated by other atheists on the board, including my dude Thump, and every post you made in the last few pages had a stack of "Kudos" from the major players on this forum, on some of them more Kudos than I've ever seen on a post that wasn't a personal photo. Furthermore, a mod stepped in, shut the thread down, stated that he did it for that reason, and then apologized for not doing it sooner, a rare moment of thread-censorship.

So if we're talking about the nature of the AF membership as atheists, I think those elements need to be taken into account.

It's disingenuous of Randy to ignore that we're not officially censoring him, while complaining that we don't officially censor our own members. It's disingenuous of Randy to talk about our radicals while ignoring our moderates and those who call for decency and tolerance. It's disingenuous of Randy to use you as an example of what's happening to him because, as bad as it got in there for you, you still had the majority of us on your side. He does not and never will, because your motives are fundamentally decent, while his are derogatory; your heart is kind, while his heart is as black as he accuses us of being.

It's not apples-and-oranges, it's apples-and-orangutans.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(September 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 8:39 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: What you said is true, but Atheists usually take it further. They take the stance that people should not believe in God. And I've only seen one person (Tiberius) be humble enough to say perhaps people do know God exists, he doesn't know that, just that he doesn't believe he knows God exists.

Those two positions aren't mutually exclusive, you know. Maybe there are people who know that god exists, but for some reason that doesn't stop their evidence from being very poor, meaning that they may in fact know something I don't, but that from my perspective it is impossible to rationally accept their claims on the basis of what they are showing me. So from where I'm standing- which is the only place I can argue from- people should not believe in god because every indication I have shows this to be either a false or unsupported belief.

I simply cannot accept the arguments and evidence being presented for god, because the fallacies and inaccuracies don't go away just because the person making them might be right. If you're right, you're right, and nobody can take that away from you... but that still doesn't make your arguments good. The existence of a god is ultimately separate from the arguments and evidence for one, but I can only accept or reject the claim based on the latter, after all.

Most Theists don't give a crap about philosophical arguments for God and are not interested in them. They are still strong in faith in God and don't care for a single argument.  They believe they are connected to God and they know by the power of faith. 

And please don't simply call "faith" "blind belief", because, that's not what Theists believe it is. They believe it's a seeing power, it's a connection. 

If most Theists were relying on arguments like first cause, design etc, then you may have a point.  But from my experience, there is very few Theists who actually have faith in God from philosophical reasons, and even those, probably have faith from other then that, but just seek to strengthen their case against Atheists.
(September 21, 2015 at 8:39 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 8:03 pm)Losty Wrote: Arguing for atheism is lame. Atheism is a lack of belief in any god. What is there to argue?

What you said is true, but Atheists usually take it further. They take the stance that people should not believe in God. And I've only seen one person (Tiberius) be humble enough to say perhaps people do know God exists, he doesn't know that, just that he doesn't believe he knows God exists.

[Image: reqm6.jpg]via Imgflip Meme Maker
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7934 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31458 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Obsession with Discussing the Supposed Rudeness of Atheists Whateverist 91 16302 October 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51676 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 24739 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15939 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Why do christians make up lies when a famous atheist dies? Lemonvariable72 14 7416 September 11, 2013 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9984 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris