Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
The Atheist Obsession with Insulting Christians
RE: The Atheist Obsession with Insulting Christians
(September 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: I never spent more than a moment or two thinking about atheism until earlier this year (hint: check my join date).

And how old are you? Really?

You only started questioning your premises this very year?

No wonder your thinking is so simplistic.

(September 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: That's why I'm here, Parkers...to learn from you. And, my what you all have taught me about atheists...

Yes, because your opinion matters. You, who as you've just admitted only considered the possibility of atheism this very year, you are qualified to sit in judgement of ... whom? You cannot even judge for yourself, given the paucity of even-handedness you yourself just confessed. A simpleton who hasn't considered the possibility of no god until his 30s is no one whose good opinion I crave. You say you've never considered "more than a moment or two" the possibility of atheism, yet you come in here guns blazing with your tablets from the Mount? Yeah, either you're incredibly stupid, or lying out of your ass. What sort of man goes three decades without thinking he might be wrong?

Oh, wait.

(September 22, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(September 22, 2015 at 5:34 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I was going to comment on how the only 'belief' associated with atheism is 'i do not believe in god', but somehow, just somehow I doubt that point would come across to you.

I'd be delighted to hear an articulate explanation of why anyone would care two hoots about slaughtering a few million people if there was no compelling objective moral reason for them not to do so if they honestly believed it was in their own interest or that of the nation which they were trying to build.

Alpha males get to mate with all the females. Alpha dictators get to kill off all the males who disagree with him.
God you are dumb. Not all atheists are moral anti-realists, most moral anti-realists aren't murderous egoists, and to learn more moral realism vs moral anti-realism read something other than canned apologetics. Read this for starters -> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/moral-anti-realism/
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
@ Randy: Did I adequately answer your question? I'd be happy to expand on my response if you need me to.

As it happens, I got home to a message that my wife is working a few hours of overtime, so our dinner/movie date is pushed off until Thursday.
(September 22, 2015 at 8:22 pm)Pizza Wrote:
(September 22, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: I'd be delighted to hear an articulate explanation of why anyone would care two hoots about slaughtering a few million people if there was no compelling objective moral reason for them not to do so if they honestly believed it was in their own interest or that of the nation which they were trying to build.

Alpha males get to mate with all the females. Alpha dictators get to kill off all the males who disagree with him.
God you are dumb. Not all atheists are moral anti-realists, most moral anti-realists aren't murderous egoists, and to learn more moral realism vs moral anti-realism read something other than canned apologetics. Read this for starters -> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/moral-anti-realism/

Alphas get to what? Wow. Good thing we humans evolved a sense of empathy and started forming monogamous mate pairs, interconnected-extended-faimly- and tribal-units, as a way of striving to rise above our animal natures! You know where most the human Alphas are, for the main part? Prison. Those who can't reason beyond their animal instincts go there.

Have y'all noticed that every time we get into a "what is the atheist's view of the nature of morality" discussions, it takes about ten minutes for the fundie to admit that they'd be a raping, murdering psychopath if not for God?
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

The jails are full of jesus freak scumbags already.

And the nut houses.
Randy, if you think you need a book to tell you not to kill people, please stay in church. For the sake of the rest of society.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
[Image: tumblr_mh17kaG6aJ1rl2l7ho1_1280.jpg]
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(September 22, 2015 at 12:51 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(September 22, 2015 at 12:32 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Okay, well then it's simple. Best estimates of the Crusades are 5 million killed in the first four Crusades, while Stalin only killed 2.9 (this number includes deaths in the Gulags and forced relocations, in addition to actual executions).

The thing is, the crusades cant be pinned on just one individual. According to this website, Stalin is responsible for at least 20 million deaths.
http://necrometrics.com/20c5m.htm#Stalin

(September 22, 2015 at 12:51 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Interesting. He makes demands of us to prove our point, and then when I go out of my way to find the actual facts behind the discussion, he doesn't respond to a single one of my posts.

Quel suprise.

What facts? You provided not one source.

Do you think that Stalin killed all of those people?

Fuck me pal, you're truly terrible at this shit.
You know what fuck it let's talk about Stalin. It was a political reasons for his actions, as well a s a
inability to care for people and the instability of the government. He also knew people were starving
and he also knew it would breed a conspiracy to oust him. And so in his mind he was doing them both
a favor. Also he gotten rid of people and generals in his army that being said people were fighting with no
form of training and the ones who did were lucky. So no the guy didn't kill in the name of atheism.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(September 22, 2015 at 10:32 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Alphas get to what? Wow. Good thing we humans evolved a sense of empathy and started forming monogamous mate pairs, interconnected-extended-faimly- and tribal-units, as a way of striving to rise above our animal natures! You know where most the human Alphas are, for the main part? Prison. Those who can't reason beyond their animal instincts go there.

You have to remember that these people have a second grade understanding of evolution and how the world works. For instance, notice that no theist ranting and raving about the morality of evolution ever seems to mention symbiosis, not that evolution actually prescribes morality in the first place, but you get my point.

Simple views for simple minds.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7939 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31458 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Obsession with Discussing the Supposed Rudeness of Atheists Whateverist 91 16328 October 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51683 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 24745 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15944 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Why do christians make up lies when a famous atheist dies? Lemonvariable72 14 7416 September 11, 2013 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9984 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris