Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What the bible says Hell is like
RE: What the bible says Hell is like
(October 8, 2015 at 11:46 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 2:28 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: I'll message you later. I have homework.
Still no message about this. Lemme know when your homework is done.

sorry for the late reply
true Christians are the ones who say they are sinners and deserve punishment for their sins

the question of what must I do to be saved is asked in the bible. the answer given was believe on the Lord Jesus and thou shalt be saved. It doesn't say turn over a new leaf or repent of all your sins or be a good person. the whole point is that we are hopeless and that God did us a solid and died for us so that we can live.
(October 8, 2015 at 11:49 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:48 am)LostLocke Wrote: A choice between life and eternal torment is not free will.

no you have a choice

Yeah, the same kind of choice you would have if I stuck a gun in your face and demanded your wallet. Except a gun in your face is a real and imminent threat that only a lunatic would dismiss as unreal. Your ancient story about hell and salvation is just that -- a story -- with no supporting evidence to compel reasonable belief.
(October 8, 2015 at 12:01 pm)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:46 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Still no message about this. Lemme know when your homework is done.

sorry for the late reply
true Christians are the ones who say they are sinners and deserve punishment for their sins

the question of what must I do to be saved is asked in the bible. the answer given was believe on the Lord Jesus and thou shalt be saved. It doesn't say turn over a new leaf or repent of all your sins or be a good person. the whole point is that we are hopeless and that God did us a solid and died for us so that we can live.

Yeah, I get it. I'm an ex-Christian. Southern Baptist, KJV-thumping (though we also accepted the NIV), "on fire for Jesus", and alllll that.

Your answer isn't an answer, I'm afraid.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

How can we have free will knowing that if we exercise that free will and It is something that the big Kahuna does not like we will burn forever and ever.
That is not free will. Of course I will choose Heaven, having my lower body parts on fire does not sound very fun, so I choose eternal servitude, mind you it's my free will. wink.

Manowar
(October 8, 2015 at 11:24 am)Evie Wrote: Catholics are followers of Jesus and that makes them Christians.

In fact they are the biggest Christian group there is.

It's always hilarious when people say Catholics aren't Christians. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they the original Christians too?

I still think they're just as full of BS of course, but other forms of Christianity are no better.

You think I'm full of BS.  Sad

I thought we was friends, hoe!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(October 8, 2015 at 12:01 pm)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:46 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Still no message about this. Lemme know when your homework is done.

sorry for the late reply

Oh and by the way, the verse you're quoting is in Acts chapter 16... where it also says that if he believes, his household will also be saved. So does that mean I'm saved because my wife is a Believer? (She is.)
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Don't feed the poe, hoes!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(October 8, 2015 at 11:24 am)Evie Wrote: Catholics are followers of Jesus and that makes them Christians.

In fact they are the biggest Christian group there is.

It's always hilarious when people say Catholics aren't Christians. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they the original Christians too?

I still think they're just as full of BS of course, but other forms of Christianity are no better.

Actually, it's worse than that.  The early Christian church is one great sectarian split. Paul's letters are all about the great split over whether you can be a Christian without being a Jew first. The synoptic gospels and John disagree profoundly as to what Jesus said. 

The list of heresies banned before the fourth century (losing sects) is long:  adoptionism (belief that Jesus was born a mortal man and raised to godhood by adoption later); Apollinarism (a belief that the souls as well as the body are involved in creating souls and only Jesus' soul was divine); Arienism (a belief that Jesus is not eternal but created by god at a specific point in time); Docetism (belief that Jesus was divine but his body was a mere illusion);  there's a related heresy that Jesus inhabited the body of a real mortal man and exited that body to heaven at death thus causing the poor remaining human to cry my god, my god why hast thou forsaken me.  And many more.  A lengthy list can be found at List of Christian Heresies

My personal favorite is the Gnostics who believe generally (there were different sects of Gnostics) that we are all divine souls trapped in material bodies by a bad god (the god of Abraham) and that Jesus came to tell us how to escape our material bodies and reacquire our divinity.

And then there's the Orthodox Christians.

Why anyone would think the KJV is a special new revelation is beyond me.  But it's all a little beyond me.

One thing is clear, either as a communicator Jesus lacked something or much got lost in translation.  Shy
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
CL Wrote:You think I'm full of BS.  Sad

I thought we was friends, hoe!

We are. I am interested in the person not the religion  Worship
(October 8, 2015 at 12:08 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 12:01 pm)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: sorry for the late reply

Oh and by the way, the verse you're quoting is in Acts chapter 16... where it also says that if he believes, his household will also be saved. So does that mean I'm saved because my wife is a Believer? (She is.)

no the messaged was preached to the jailer and his household\
belief is still necessary for salvation

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 646 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44255 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6770 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The Bible Says So YahwehIsTheWay 24 3510 December 7, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8690 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9916 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3562 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Who Says Godscreated 153 35705 September 15, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9379 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Billy Graham's Daughter says transgender people responsible for 9/11 Aroura 23 4945 May 15, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: abaris