Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 10:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaningful ideas and quotes
RE: Meaningful ideas and quotes
(January 14, 2016 at 12:09 am)*Deidre* Wrote:
(January 13, 2016 at 2:17 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Just a joke. Though here's one for you, something of a riddle, I have no idea what it means:

The water is wettest when it rains.

Maybe it means obvious things are obvious. Thinking

I think it actually went more like, "The water is wetter when rains"
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 14, 2016 at 12:38 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(January 14, 2016 at 12:09 am)*Deidre* Wrote: Maybe it means obvious things are obvious. Thinking

I think it actually went more like, "The water is wetter when rains"

Okay, now what does that mean? lol
(January 14, 2016 at 12:56 am)*Deidre* Wrote:
(January 14, 2016 at 12:38 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: I think it actually went more like, "The water is wetter when rains"

"The water is wetter when it rains" I mean to say. Please call off your Grammar Gestapo officers.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 14, 2016 at 1:13 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(January 14, 2016 at 12:56 am)*Deidre* Wrote: Okay, now what does that mean? lol

"The water is wetter when it rains" I mean to say. Please call off your Grammar Gestapo officers.

Oh wow,  I read it the first time as showing "it." Like my mind filled it in ....ok it's time for bed this means. Blush
(January 14, 2016 at 12:56 am)*Deidre* Wrote:
(January 14, 2016 at 12:38 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: I think it actually went more like, "The water is wetter when rains"

I get it. Because I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid!  Tongue
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(January 14, 2016 at 4:43 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(January 14, 2016 at 12:56 am)*Deidre* Wrote: Okay, now what does that mean? lol

I get it. Because I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid!  Tongue

Can you enlighten me then? Big Grin
Blush
The water is wetter when it rains because when there's more rain there's more water, and both water and rain are wet.

Rain is the cause. Water is the effect. Wetness is the common quality that both share. C=Cause E=Effect Q=common quality. Water is wetter when it rains: the Q (wetness) of the E (water) is increased when the C (rain) is happening.

It's a visual metaphor for saying that the cause of something is important because it is where the common quality that both the cause and the effect share comes from.

Rain is important because if you want the wetness of water (or don't want the wetness of water), both wetness and water can be found when it rains.

I hope I didn't get this completely wrong myself or I really am fucking stupid lol.

I tend to over-analyse very simple metaphors.
"Cats are pretty awesome."

- Me
"My stubbly beard is starting to itch this very moment" - a turtle.
"This quote is deep as hell."

- A Pony

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Famous Karl Marx Quotes vulcanlogician 7 570 October 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2148 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  Your favorite quotes. Lemonvariable72 42 7660 July 16, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas? professor 85 11835 March 14, 2014 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  Ideas of god? BrokenQuill92 0 988 January 10, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  A brief interlude of J Krishnamurti, and other great quotes liam 4 2505 September 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher Zenith 3 2614 May 23, 2011 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Zenith