Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 2:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaningful ideas and quotes
RE: Meaningful ideas and quotes
“When asked in an interview yesterday if he’s always truthful, President Trump responded, quote, ‘I do try, and I always want to tell the truth. When I can, I tell the truth.’ Wow. I mean, it’s hard to believe that in a couple hundred years America went from ‘I cannot tell a lie’ to ‘Eh, let’s see how I feel.’” — SETH MEYERS
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
“The inspiration of the Bible depends upon the ignorance of the gentleman who reads it.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)

“The dogma of the infallibility of the Bible is no more self-evident than that of the infallibility of the popes.” (Thomas H. Huxley)

"It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine, and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man." (Thomas Paine)

“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” (Isaac Asimov)
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
'It is possible that noble considerations may lead to war.  But once war is begun, nobility of motive will find itself allied with expediency which will, in its turn, enlist almost any vice to attain its end.'  - St. Thomas Aquinas

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
“The book of Job is one of the most powerful arguments against God in the atheist arsenal. It proves once and for all that YHWH is not a good god. Even if such a god exists, we surely cannot rely on him to define our morals, to tell us what is good or bad. If holiness is what gods do, then holiness is a terrible thing.” (Victor J. Stenger) Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(November 3, 2018 at 12:37 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: “The book of Job is one of the most powerful arguments against God in the atheist arsenal. It proves once and for all that YHWH is not a good god. Even if such a god exists, we surely cannot rely on him to define our morals, to tell us what is good or bad. If holiness is what gods do, then holiness is a terrible thing.” (Victor J. Stenger) Read

"When I read an obviously mythical tale about God, I assume that God really did those things and I judge him accordingly. I think that every written text should be read as if it is journalism. I have no understanding of literature whatsoever. No one should take me seriously." 

--- Victor J. Stenger (probably)
(November 2, 2018 at 11:14 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: “When asked in an interview yesterday if he’s always truthful, President Trump responded, quote, ‘I do try, and I always want to tell the truth. When I can, I tell the truth.’ Wow. I mean, it’s hard to believe that in a couple hundred years America went from ‘I cannot tell a lie’ to ‘Eh, let’s see how I feel.’” — SETH MEYERS
When he says he tries to tell the truth he's lying.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The enemy of my enemy is my next target.
- General Tacticus
Dying to live, living to die.
'...………………………………….? *honk* ………………………………. !' - Harpo Marx

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life ... it is considered as if he saved an entire world."
— The Talmud

"Whosoever killeth a human being ... it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whosoever saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind."
— The Quran
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx) Naughty

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Famous Karl Marx Quotes vulcanlogician 7 570 October 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2148 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  Your favorite quotes. Lemonvariable72 42 7659 July 16, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas? professor 85 11832 March 14, 2014 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  Ideas of god? BrokenQuill92 0 988 January 10, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  A brief interlude of J Krishnamurti, and other great quotes liam 4 2505 September 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher Zenith 3 2614 May 23, 2011 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Zenith