Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 1:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaningful ideas and quotes
RE: Meaningful ideas and quotes
(July 4, 2020 at 11:03 am)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(July 4, 2020 at 5:36 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Here's one for the population control crowd:

'I have ten children, Groucho.'

'Why so many?'

'Well, Groucho, I love my wife.'

'Well, Jim, I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.' - You Bet Your Life

Boru

"I've learned to smoke with moderation: only one cigar at a time." (Mark Twain)  Hehe

I smoked while in the service. Once - while working a hot SAR case - I was chain smoking... I didn't notice the section Chief (who did not smoke) calmly putting out my cigarettes...

He later told the story that I would light a smoke, take a drag - then put in the ashtray -get on the radio  - then a minute later light another. Lather, rinse, repeat...... 

At one time I had 5 cigarettes lit at once..

Force of habit...
If cops actually did their jobs by being out here to pull over people speeding down the road, perhaps they would not have the available time to murder black people. ~ Me
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
"That monastary is on fire and the monks are mysteriously dying. We must rescue the relics!"
- Baldur the Magnanimous, hero of Lindisfarne.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 5, 2020 at 8:42 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(July 4, 2020 at 11:03 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: "I've learned to smoke with moderation: only one cigar at a time." (Mark Twain)  Hehe

I smoked while in the service. Once - while working a hot SAR case - I was chain smoking... I didn't notice the section Chief (who did not smoke) calmly putting out my cigarettes...

He later told the story that I would light a smoke, take a drag - then put in the ashtray -get on the radio  - then a minute later light another. Lather, rinse, repeat...... 

Force of habit...

I knew a guy in the army who was so in the habit of smoking that he'd strike a match and raise it to his mouth without even having a cigarette in his lips. I used to smoke cigars when I was in college during the late 1960's and switched to pipe smoking about ten years later. I gradually lost my taste and interest in smoking by the early 1990's and gradually quit without any real effort. I was buying my cigars, pipes and tobacco from The Thompson Cigar Company. They're still  in business, but their product line is not as extensive as it used to be.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(July 5, 2020 at 8:53 am)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(July 5, 2020 at 8:42 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I smoked while in the service. Once - while working a hot SAR case - I was chain smoking... I didn't notice the section Chief (who did not smoke) calmly putting out my cigarettes...

Force of habit...

I knew a guy in the army who was so in the habit of smoking that he'd strike a match and raise it to his mouth without even having a cigarette in his lips. I used to smoke cigars when I was in college during the late 1960's and switched to pipe smoking about ten years later. I gradually lost my taste and interest in smoking by the early 1990's and gradually quit without any real effort. I was buying my cigars, pipes and tobacco from The Thompson Cigar Company. They're still  in business, but their product line is not as extensive as it used to be.

i have never smoked a cigarette in my life
‘If there is a God, he must be inordinately fond of beetles.’ - J.B.S. Haldane

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
'Of all the things that are beyond my power, I value nothing more highly than to be allowed the honor of entering into bonds of friendship with people who sincerely love truth. For, of things beyond our power, I believe there is nothing in the world which we can love with tranquility except such men.' - Spinoza
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
(July 14, 2020 at 4:33 pm)ModusPonens1 Wrote: 'Of all the things that are beyond my power, I value nothing more highly than to be allowed the honor of entering into bonds of friendship with people who sincerely love truth. For, of things beyond our power, I believe there is nothing in the world which we can love with tranquility except such men.' - Spinoza

I like that! I used to work in the defense business, which necessitated investigations every few years to make sure that I wasn't turning stupid. One investigator commented that my references thought highly of me. I choose my friends very carefully. Liars, gossips and assholes get left by the wayside. My circle of friends can all be depended on to do the right thing for me, and I for them. I don't have many people whom I will actually call "friend", but they are golden. We all call it like we see it, and our word to each other is our bond. We bust each other's chops when we screw up, and support each other when we know the other is right. I think we may be a dying breed.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 14, 2020 at 5:04 pm)masoni Wrote: Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Bruce Lee.

"In order to seek truth, it is necessary once in the course of our life, to doubt, as far as possible, of all things" - René Descartes
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Famous Karl Marx Quotes vulcanlogician 7 570 October 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2147 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  Your favorite quotes. Lemonvariable72 42 7659 July 16, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas? professor 85 11832 March 14, 2014 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  Ideas of god? BrokenQuill92 0 988 January 10, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  A brief interlude of J Krishnamurti, and other great quotes liam 4 2505 September 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher Zenith 3 2614 May 23, 2011 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Zenith