Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 11:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaningful ideas and quotes
RE: Meaningful ideas and quotes
"As I approve of a youth that has something of the old man in him, so I am no less pleased with an old man that has something of the youth. He that follows this rule may be old in body, but can never be so in mind." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)  Great
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
"Why shouldn’t I eat toothpaste? It’s a free world. Why shouldn’t I chew my toenails? I happen to have trodden in some honey. Why shouldn’t I prance across central park with delicate sideways leaps? I know what your answer will be: “it isn’t done”. But it’s no earthly use just saying it isn’t done. If there’s a reason why it isn’t done, give the reason—if there’s no reason, don’t attempt to stop me doing it. All other things being equal, the mere fact that something “isn’t done” is in itself an excellent reason for doing it." - Derek Parfit.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
[Image: 109757054_3124536454293211_5318387749408...e=5F3A8AD0]
(July 18, 2020 at 10:53 am)Eleven Wrote: [Image: 109757054_3124536454293211_5318387749408...e=5F3A8AD0]

Very true. It's one of those aphorisms that is easy to understand in principle but can take a lifetime to master in practice.

"If a person is stupid, we excuse him by saying that he cannot help it; but if we attempted to excuse in precisely the same way the person who is bad, we [w]ould be laughed at." - Schopenhauer
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
‘Oh, you only fight the fights you can win? You fight the fights that need fighting!’ - A.J. MacInerney, The American President

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 18, 2020 at 12:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ‘Oh, you only fight the fights you can win? You fight the fights that need fighting!’ - A.J. MacInerney, The American President

Reminds me of Stephen Fry in a Fry and Laurie sketch:

"Listen to me, Peter. Marjorie may have won the war, but she hasn't won the battle."
"I think I finally understand what military fame is. It is to be killed upon the field of battle, and have our names spelled wrong in the newspapers." (William Tecumseh Sherman)  Doh
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
"What the fuck was that?"
- mayor of Hiroshima
Dying to live, living to die.
'Ow.  Ow ow ow.  Ow ow.  Ow ow ow ow.  Ow ow. Ow. Ow.  Ow ow.  Ow. Ow ow ow.  Ow ow ow. *gurgle* ' - Julius Caesar.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Shit! We're lost!"
- Amelia Earhart
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Famous Karl Marx Quotes vulcanlogician 7 570 October 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2134 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  Your favorite quotes. Lemonvariable72 42 7659 July 16, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas? professor 85 11820 March 14, 2014 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  Ideas of god? BrokenQuill92 0 988 January 10, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  A brief interlude of J Krishnamurti, and other great quotes liam 4 2505 September 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher Zenith 3 2609 May 23, 2011 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Zenith