Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can I just say, and I'm just being honest...
RE: Can I just say, and I'm just being honest...
Can I just say - You are not disabled.

This old woman was on my trip to Catalonia. By coincidence, she was on the same plane going, stayed in the same hotel, went on the same daytrip to Girona and was on the same plane going home.

So she rocks up to the airport going, in a wheelchair, and because I didn't know her at this point I didn't think anything of it.

Until we get to Catalonia.

This old... person, goes racing around the hotel on her feet, not even a walking stick needed to support her, when she wants to be first in the queue to get her food in the canteen. She has no problem going on a daytrip to Girona and walking around the town all afternoon.

But then go back to the airport to come home, suddenly she's "disabled" again and has to be pushed around and helped by a (absolutely gorgeous) worker from the airport.

You serious?

I wouldn't care much, but just remember old lady, next time a genuinely disabled person who really can't walk comes along, someone will think of you when they look at them.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(October 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: Can I just say - You are not disabled.

This old woman was on my trip to Catalonia. By coincidence, she was on the same plane going, stayed in the same hotel, went on the same daytrip to Girona and was on the same plane going home.

So she rocks up to the airport going, in a wheelchair, and because I didn't know her at this point I didn't think anything of it.

Until we get to Catalonia.

This old... person, goes racing around the hotel on her feet, not even a walking stick needed to support her, when she wants to be first in the queue to get her food in the canteen. She has no problem going on a daytrip to Girona and walking around the town all afternoon.

But then go back to the airport to come home, suddenly she's "disabled" again and has to be pushed around and helped by a (absolutely gorgeous) worker from the airport.

You serious?

I wouldn't care much, but just remember old lady, next time a genuinely disabled person who really can't walk comes along, someone will think of you when they look at them.

That kind of shit pisses me right off.

I almost got into a pissing match at Walmart because of something like that. SUV parked in one of the van accessible spaces. The vehicle has a temporary placard. The family comes out of the store. No one has anything noticeably wrong with them. No wheelchairs, canes, oxygen, noticeable difficulty walking, nothing. My mom and I make a couple comments we thought were under our breath, but the wife heard us.

"Not all disabilities are visible!"

Well, duh. But if your disability doesn't affect your movement (apparently it was the husband and he was easily putting bags in the back of the SUV), then don't fucking take the spaces for people like me, who need the van accessible spaces so we can enter/exit our vehicles safely without playing in traffic. You can park a couple spaces down without it being a hassle. I can't.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
A fetus is not a person.

Customers need to be told "No".

Your reality sucks.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The SNP can go fuck themselves.
(October 9, 2016 at 2:15 am)KevinM1 Wrote: That kind of shit pisses me right off.

I almost got into a pissing match at Walmart because of something like that.  SUV parked in one of the van accessible spaces.  The vehicle has a temporary placard.  The family comes out of the store. No one has anything noticeably wrong with them.  No wheelchairs, canes, oxygen, noticeable difficulty walking, nothing.  My mom and I make a couple comments we thought were under our breath, but the wife heard us.

"Not all disabilities are visible!"

Well, duh.  But if your disability doesn't affect your movement (apparently it was the husband and he was easily putting bags in the back of the SUV), then don't fucking take the spaces for people like me, who need the van accessible spaces so we can enter/exit our vehicles safely without playing in traffic.  You can park a couple spaces down without it being a hassle.  I can't.

I have a bum hip, and when not at work I use a cane. I refuse to get a placard for this sort of reason, though I easily could. I can good and goddamned well walk thirty or forty more feet, because I know that the van-spaces are there for a reason.

Makes me want to take my cane to assholes like this.

Can I just say...

My son's boyfriend is as cute as a button and his family are fun people to hang with. I enjoyed last night so much that I invited them over for the day today.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(October 4, 2016 at 6:57 pm)Jesster Wrote: CIJS I'm tired of being your venting wall. I'm happy to listen to someone when they need to vent, but this is getting to be a bit too one-sided. What am I getting out of this arrangement? Do I get to say anything? Nope. Let's just hear your complaints all day long while I nod and repeat "uh huh" again and again. How about you repeat the same damn complaints that you had the last few weeks a few more times?

I'm tired of finding excuses to get away from you. I'm not your toy. This needs to end.

CIJS this again? FUCK!
I don't believe you. Get over it.
CIJS...Seriously? No-one? There are at least a dozen of you, doing that trip every day, and not one of you can find it within yourselves to help out a neighbour? Even though it means exactly zero effort on your part? Not you, S, even though when your son was locked out I took him in, fed and watered him and made sure he was safe until you got home? Or you, S, when your car wouldn't start? Or you, H, when your kid practically lived here over the summer? You know, the app shows that you've seen my message so you can't pretend you didn't.

Fuck you all, you are horrible people. Next time you need my help you can swivel on it.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
CIJS, I spoke too soon, and a couple of people have restored my faith that not all of my neighbours are complete twats.

(October 10, 2016 at 12:52 pm)ukatheist Wrote: CIJS, I spoke too soon, and a couple of people have restored my faith that not all of my neighbours are complete twats.

I absolutely loved this. Smile
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Say what??? Gawdzilla Sama 10 932 June 21, 2023 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  At 33 years of age, I am being bullied and tired of it. AkiraTheViking 12 1197 June 7, 2023 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: deleted
  What do you say? LastPoet 2 470 January 14, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama