Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 10:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Official Television Thread
RE: Otter's Official Television Thread
Currently watching "The Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix. Heads up: the only things that were kept from the novel (and the 1963 film) are the conceit of an infamous haunted house named Hill House, the names Eleanor/Nell, Theo(dora), and Luke, and the fact that Theo is into girls. This is not a horror series about the ambigious situations that appear in the spaces between spaces that nobody can put their finger on. That said, this doesn't make it bad; indeed, it's like a horror version of True Detective (at least, in addition to last year's IT). That said, I'm about halfway through the series; more elements of the film may appear later.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 22, 2018 at 9:23 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Currently watching "The Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix. Heads up: the only things that were kept from the novel (and the 1963 film) are the conceit of an infamous haunted house named Hill House, the names Eleanor/Nell, Theo(dora), and Luke, and the fact that Theo is into girls. This is not a horror series about the ambigious situations that appear in the spaces between spaces that nobody can put their finger on. That said, this doesn't make it bad; indeed, it's like a horror version of True Detective (at least, in addition to last year's IT). That said, I'm about halfway through the series; more elements of the film may appear later.

Never read the novel or saw the original film.

I did see the 1999 version when I was in college.

I can't really remember the movie, but I did enjoy the series when I binge watched it a week or so ago.
Well, here's a primer to get you up to speed on the 1999 version and why the 1963 film is better in pretty much every way (except maybe if you want to laugh at something really stupid, or the Zeta-Jones fanservice, which is clearly not your thing). The novel is pretty faithful to the 1963 film, although, being a novel, it goes into depth about a lot of things, like just how strange the house is and heavier hints that Theo is a lesbian for reasons 100% related to books not being beholden to the Hays Office (weakened as it was by that point).

Also, I KNEW you'd find something else good on Netflix! (For the record, I tend to switch between shows on Hulu and Netflix for my binges. I've got a lot of shows on both, although the Netflix list is quite a bit bigger.)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Gotham.
Dying to live, living to die.
Checking out Manifest

Quote:After a turbulent, but routine flight, the passengers and crew discover the world has aged five years, yet no time has passed for them, and soon a deeper mystery unfolds.
(October 23, 2018 at 4:32 am)Kit Wrote: Checking out Manifest

Quote:After a tugrbulent, but routine flight, the passengers and crew discover the world has aged five years, yet no time has passed for them, and soon a deeper mystery unfolds.

Lost - in reverse.

Wonder if they considered the title "Found"?

Tongue
Finally watching The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu.

Quote:Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship.
Have you seen JourneyQuest?
[Image: latest?cb=20100721025111]
(October 24, 2018 at 1:38 am)Draconic Aiur Wrote: Have you seen JourneyQuest?

Never heard of it till now. 

Looks interesting.
On season two of The Handmaid's Tale.

I bet before this show was created, Margaret Atwood's book was free to read online. Now, one has to pay to read it. Luckily, I found a free PDF version.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupidest show airing on television? Foxaèr 31 1727 July 22, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Comedy on television Foxaèr 2 582 September 6, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Question in relation to television series writing Foxaèr 1 757 October 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hammy's Official Music Thread Edwardo Piet 5 1040 October 9, 2017 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  With all these old, cancelled television shows returning to the screen Foxaèr 12 3438 May 23, 2017 at 4:00 am
Last Post: StuW
  My current list of television shows Foxaèr 15 2526 October 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Still no official writing thread. Foxaèr 3 1098 January 25, 2016 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4