Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 4:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Official Television Thread
RE: Otter's Official Television Thread
Been watching Legacies

A spin-off of both The Originals and The Vampire Diaries, respectively.
13 Reasons Why Season 4 dropped a few days ago. Surprisingly, the first two episodes were actually fairly good, especially in contrast with the previous two seasons. The only real eyebrow-raising parts were the part where Clay and Zach are falsely accused of rape, and the scene where Bolan has to be reminded that it's standard operating procedure for security guards to perform strip searches of the same gender. Now I'm on #3 and Clay is being pursued by someone who knows he's covering up Monty's death, and apparently, the football team was making an elaborate prank that involves making the locker room showerheads run blood and they didn't even know anything; his actions apparently incriminated him. Well, at least we don't have Clay talking down a school shooter or covering up a murder, or a new character who turns into the Fred Phelps of Feminism, or the entire football team being part of a rape ring, or their inability to figure out what the fuck Bryce's deal even was (is he just a privileged idiot who didn't quite understand why rape was bad or was he a remorseless sociopathic sexual predator? Pick one and fucking stick with it, series.)

That said, I'm not sure if Alex' turning out to have been gay all this time is handled all that well.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
That’s one teen drama I’m not too keen on watching.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
@Rev. Rye

Since you’re the Arrested Development expert, why is it that at the end of each episode it shows scenes for the next episode that don’t actually make it into the next episode?
Finally got round to watching ‘Hannibal’. I resisted for a long time, as television adaptations of films generally suck. I’m happy to say that in this case, I was wrong - the show is absolutely terrific. 

It isn’t so much an adaptation of the films as it is a background to the novel ‘Red Dragon’. Cleverly written, well acted (including Eddie Izzard (!) as a psychopathic killer), and really faithful to the tone - if not the narrative - of the book.

Interesting thing, though: as good as Mads Mikkelsen was in the title role, I found Hugh Dancy’s Will Graham to be a much more intriguing character.

My only complaint is that it was cancelled after just 39 episodes.

10/10.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 10, 2020 at 4:34 am)Eleven Wrote: @Rev. Rye

Since you’re the Arrested Development expert, why is it that at the end of each episode it shows scenes for the next episode that don’t actually make it into the next episode?
For comedy.

Now for a weird moment I just saw from 13 Reasons Why:

Clay is crashing at his therapist's place and notices an old photo of him playing guitar. He asks "Is that a Rickenbacker?" The therapist asks "Guild Starfire III. 1966."

If you know anything about guitars, it's bizarre how wrong this is.

For the record, this is a Rickenbacker. If you've seen footage of the Beatles up until about 1965, you've seen something like this:
[Image: 330ThinJG-large.jpg]
As a boy getting interested in the guitar, it was THE first manufacturer I became familiar with precisely because of that association. Naturally, however, their prices were too damn high.

And this is a Guild Starfire III from 1966:

That's bizarrely off.

Decided to check out Homecoming

Quote:An anthology series centered around the mysterious Geist Group, an unconventional wellness company and their equally unorthodox program, the Homecoming Initiative.

[Image: MV5BMDc5OTgyMDYtZjk2YS00YzVkLWE5N2ItNjU4...00_AL_.jpg]
Going to check out Cheetah in August

Quote:A riveting story about a former high school track athlete who's distorted views on love, negatively affects the people closest to him.

The show ended in 2017 after season two, but it appears that Amazon Prime is picking it up for a third season this year.

[Image: MV5BZWNiMjNkY2ItOTE3My00YzJjLTg0MjgtZmUz...50_AL_.jpg]

I do like me some dark chocolate.
And on the season finale of 13 Reasons Why:

Maybe if this was made/set 20 years ago, Justin being diagnosed with full-blown AIDS would be a reasonable story development. But in America at least, if I'm getting my information right, access to anti-retrovirals has all but obviated that problem. It just comes across as contrived. And, honestly, most everything from Season 2 onward is. The first season was pretty good, if flawed, and I still stand by my old claim that it feels like a combination of the first two Godfather films in high school, but, of course, we all know how Part III turned out, and this time, they spread it across THREE FUCKING SEASONS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupidest show airing on television? Foxaèr 31 1705 July 22, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Comedy on television Foxaèr 2 580 September 6, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Question in relation to television series writing Foxaèr 1 754 October 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hammy's Official Music Thread Edwardo Piet 5 1039 October 9, 2017 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  With all these old, cancelled television shows returning to the screen Foxaèr 12 3435 May 23, 2017 at 4:00 am
Last Post: StuW
  My current list of television shows Foxaèr 15 2517 October 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Still no official writing thread. Foxaèr 3 1095 January 25, 2016 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4