Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Official Television Thread
RE: The Official Television Thread
A Private Affair

Quote:Marina Quiroga, a daring upper-class girl with a detective's soul, sets off to catch the serial killer that has been terrorizing her town with her faithful butler Hector's help.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Series Six of Black Mirror is about five minutes from ending (As I start writing), and the thing that's really surprising me is how they seem to be moving away from the typical "horrors of modern or surprisingly close to modern technology" plot. Of the five episodes, only two seem to follow that structure.

As I finish this post, I'm starting my second watch of Series Six. Hopefully, I'll have figured out how to cover it for Anglotopia after a few rewatches... Especially how to deal with the third act of Demon 79 for a website that has a strict "no religion and no politics" policy (Remember, not every place has the ability to discuss politics without devolving into a dog's dinner).

Well, that and figuring out what the fuck was going on with that werewolf, or the multiple layers of reality in Joan is Awful.

And speaking of JIA, I had a slightly similar experience the moment I realised one of the recurring background characters looked almost exactly like me.

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 15, 2023 at 8:54 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Series Six of Black Mirror is about five minutes from ending (As I start writing), and the thing that's really surprising me is how they seem to be moving away from the typical "horrors of modern or surprisingly close to modern technology" plot. Of the five episodes, only two seem to follow that structure.

As I finish this post, I'm starting my second watch of Series Six. Hopefully, I'll have figured out how to cover it for Anglotopia after a few rewatches.

I noticed the same deviation from modern technology. The one that seems to have lacked it entirely was the fifth, Dempn 79.

If I have to rate them from least to most favorite.

1. Beyond the Sea (e3)
2. Mazey Day (e4)
3. Joan is Awful (e1)
4. Loch Henry (e2)
5. Demon 79 (e5) - ironically, my favorite. That kitchen fight, where they were kicking and slapping, that made me laugh.
~ Erin Hunter
There's very little, if anything, in the way of modern technology (unless you're defining it very broadly) in Mazey Day, either (it was set in April 2006, after all, and not even an alternate one). And the technology in Loch Henry is incidental to the horror. Indeed, all they would have needed to turn it into an episode of Inside No. 9 is having Reese Shearsmith and/or Matt Pemberton nailing a 9 to Mum's cottage door.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
1. Beyond the Sea (e3) - my least favorite because him killing his work partner's family was "meh", and I didn't believe that a new replica couldn't be easily made.

2. Mazey Day (e4) - another least favorite because werewolf, really?

3. Joan is Awful (e1) - in the middle because it's probably the most successful in remaining true to the series, but not a decent favorite because it kind of lacked the horror aspect.

4. Loch Henry (e2) - a close second to being a favorite because, I admit, the pure horror angle. I mean, yes, I saw that his parents were involved before it was revealed in the show, but it was still well done.

5. Demon 79 (e5) - definitely my favorite because of the political angle that relates to what we're dealing with today. Sometimes, just to be a favorite, all that's needed is the relateablenss.
~ Erin Hunter
Checking out Deadloch

Quote:A feminist noir comedy set against a bucolic backdrop with a rising body count.
~ Erin Hunter
I tried watching the new show "Silo". The first two episodes were interesting, but the third one made me lose interest in the show.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(June 16, 2023 at 4:32 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: I tried watching the new show "Silo". The first two episodes were interesting, but the third one made me lose interest in the show.

What about the third episode made you lose interest exactly?
~ Erin Hunter
It just seemed boring. The first two episodes were about getting out of the silo and seeing through the lies, while the third seemed to be about the mundane stuff in the silo: lots of old people talking and wondering about who will be the new sheriff. So not only did I not care who will be the new sheriff, but it dawned on me that the show will be about life in the silo which did not interest me. As if they don't have enough material for the show so they are just stretching and making filler episodes. Moreover, it seems like this would be most interesting as one episode of "The Outer Limits."

Seeing on IMDb, it seems like the 3rd episode has the highest rating, although it seems like it goes even steeper down the hill from there if we go by ratings.

But I guess I could go back to watching it if someone makes an interesting case.

What would most interest me would be to see behind the scenes, how they shot it. Is it all just a green screen?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I'm usually not one for westerns, but I'm going to check out Outer Range

Quote:A rancher fighting for his land and family discovers an unfathomable mystery at the edge of Wyoming's wilderness.

Mainly because of the unfathomable part. I want to see what the writers think is so unfathomable.

(Missing time in the beginning of the first episode, so...aliens?)

Twenty minutes in....okay, well, that is a little different.

And, whoo-boy, the way Lewis Pullman looks in wrangler jeans reminds me of the delicious guys I grew up around.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupidest show airing on television? Foxaèr 31 1738 July 22, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Comedy on television Foxaèr 2 583 September 6, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Question in relation to television series writing Foxaèr 1 757 October 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hammy's Official Music Thread Edwardo Piet 5 1041 October 9, 2017 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  With all these old, cancelled television shows returning to the screen Foxaèr 12 3443 May 23, 2017 at 4:00 am
Last Post: StuW
  My current list of television shows Foxaèr 15 2529 October 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Still no official writing thread. Foxaèr 3 1100 January 25, 2016 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4