Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 11:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
RE: Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
(December 28, 2018 at 12:57 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Determined to be wrong about..literally, everything...and now we're at twelve missed opportunities.

Cool. Would you like a tissue?
That'd be thirteen.  You bullshitted other posters with some negotiation over the word evidence..but it's clear at this point that there would be no future in which you presented anything, regardless of the definition.

But hey, maybe your next post you'll just flat out prove me wrong, by offering something...anything.....right......right.........? Naaaaah, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 28, 2018 at 1:46 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: That'd be thirteen.  You bullshitted other posters with some negotiation over the word evidence..but it's clear at this point that there would be no future in which you presented anything, regardless of the definition.

But hey, maybe your next post you'll just flat out prove me wrong, by offering something...anything.....right......right.........?  Naaaaah, lol.

Or you could've just answered the question.  Shouldn't have been that difficult.

Also, I'm not negotiating anything with you.  You just happen to be here demanding attention, so here you go.  Keep counting Charlie Brown.  What's this, 14?
(December 28, 2018 at 12:26 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(December 27, 2018 at 11:45 pm)polymath257 Wrote: Evidence is that which is obtained through our senses. We then hypothesize laws to describe the regularities we suspect and test those laws with further observation. Again, the laws are descriptive, not proscriptive. They are 'dictated' b the behavior of what we can observe.

Seems kind of a generic answer.  Do you have a source for that statement?  I can dig it in part, but some of it seems limited in scope.

Touch, taste, sight, smell, sound.   Although these are all functions of the brain and its ability to interpret, it doesn't include things like "thought"   Also, senses can be fooled and misinterpreted.  I believe it's called "foiling" when applied to our senses.  But regardless, if we just assume the five senses, which sense would you need to use as evidence and what would that sense (or senses) need to interpret for it to be considered viable evidence?  Obvious just because you hear or taste something, doesn't mean it's God or gods, or anything supernatural.  At what point can we say, "yep, that's God."
No, those are functions of our sensory system. The brain them processes the information from our senses. And yes, of course, the senses can be fooled: our senses do not pick up perfect information and the subsequent processing is frequently 'best possible guess'. But that is precisely why we look at all sensory modalities, make hypotheses, and test those hypotheses. In other words, we use the scientific method.

That this doens't seem amenable to a 'supernatural' is *your* problem, not mine. For me, it just means that the term 'supernatural' is an incoherent concept.
(December 28, 2018 at 2:51 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(December 28, 2018 at 1:46 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: That'd be thirteen.  You bullshitted other posters with some negotiation over the word evidence..but it's clear at this point that there would be no future in which you presented anything, regardless of the definition.

But hey, maybe your next post you'll just flat out prove me wrong, by offering something...anything.....right......right.........?  Naaaaah, lol.

Or you could've just answered the question.  Shouldn't have been that difficult.
Yes...max, just answering the question might have been the more prudent approach...........it shouldn't have been that difficult, and yet....

Quote:Also, I'm not negotiating anything with you.  You just happen to be here demanding attention, so here you go.  Keep counting Charlie Brown.  What's this, 14?
see above.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 28, 2018 at 8:36 am)polymath257 Wrote:
(December 28, 2018 at 12:26 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Seems kind of a generic answer.  Do you have a source for that statement?  I can dig it in part, but some of it seems limited in scope.

Touch, taste, sight, smell, sound.   Although these are all functions of the brain and its ability to interpret, it doesn't include things like "thought"   Also, senses can be fooled and misinterpreted.  I believe it's called "foiling" when applied to our senses.  But regardless, if we just assume the five senses, which sense would you need to use as evidence and what would that sense (or senses) need to interpret for it to be considered viable evidence?  Obvious just because you hear or taste something, doesn't mean it's God or gods, or anything supernatural.  At what point can we say, "yep, that's God."
No, those are functions of our sensory system. The brain them processes the information from our senses. And yes, of course, the senses can be fooled: our senses do not pick up perfect information and the subsequent processing is frequently 'best possible guess'. But that is precisely why we look at all sensory modalities, make hypotheses, and test those hypotheses. In other words, we use the scientific method.

That this doens't seem amenable to a 'supernatural' is *your* problem, not mine. For me, it just means that the term 'supernatural' is an incoherent concept.

The scientific method isn't applied to the supernatural.  If you don't know what it's function is, then how can you claim to use it?  The scientific method is used to study relationships between two or more variables within the natural world.

So back to the pressing question.  What would you consider to be evidence?

If you're locked it to something as being an "incoherent concept", then there would also be no point since you've already come to a conclusion.

It's not a "problem" for me, because I'm just as content as to not provide evidence if what said evidence would have to be isn't clearly defined.  If it is defined, then it's worth my consideration to possibly come up with evidence, but I can't know that until you clarify.

(December 28, 2018 at 8:39 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(December 28, 2018 at 2:51 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Or you could've just answered the question.  Shouldn't have been that difficult.
Yes...max, just answering the question might have been the more prudent approach...........it shouldn't have been that difficult, and yet....

Quote:Also, I'm not negotiating anything with you.  You just happen to be here demanding attention, so here you go.  Keep counting Charlie Brown.  What's this, 14?
see above.

(December 27, 2018 at 7:28 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: But it's ridiculous to ask for evidence if no atheist will specify what they would consider evidence.  It's more problematic trying to provide something to people who don't know what it is they want.  Maybe that's why they are atheists, but I dunno.
Wow, didnt know your evidence was so bad, you needed to ask for a qualifier. If it really was good, i mean really, really good, you need not to ask, thats how convincing it would be.

Its not like you were trying to convince anybody of the bus being late tomorrow. We are talking about the very creator of existence, of anything there is, even the stuff (dark matter/energy, other universes, potential pink unicorns, etc.) we dont know. The evidence should be everywhere, and it should be so obvious to everyone.........shouldnt it?
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Seems like something like that might even be...dare I say it..evident...lelz.

But you know, what is words, anyway, and what do words? blah blah blah.
(December 28, 2018 at 9:27 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(December 27, 2018 at 7:28 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: But it's ridiculous to ask for evidence if no atheist will specify what they would consider evidence.  It's more problematic trying to provide something to people who don't know what it is they want.  Maybe that's why they are atheists, but I dunno.
Wow, didnt know your evidence was so bad, you needed to ask for a qualifier. If it really was good, i mean really, really good, you need not to ask, thats how convincing it would be.

Its not like you were trying to convince anybody of the bus being late tomorrow. We are talking about the very creator of existence, of anything there is, even the stuff (dark matter/energy, other universes, potential pink unicorns, etc.) we dont know. The evidence should be everywhere, and it should be so obvious to everyone.........shouldnt it?

You seem to like to cling to logical fallacies.  I never claimed that I would provide any evidence.  I've stated I would consider it if there was some established criteria for determining it.  So far, nothing.  As such, I have no obligation.

I have no requirement to fulfill your demands.  Start using your head dude.
Out of curiosity, what logical fallacy can you identify in the quoted post? Additionally, what's the problem with the criteria established by the definition of the term, itself?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 2920 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2572 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3436 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1744 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4941 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 430 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8324 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2944 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1067 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2619 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball