Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The code that is DNA
RE: The code that is DNA
(December 6, 2019 at 2:32 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: Boru, you are missing the point, there ARE laws that dictate how and why Hydrogen bonds w oxygen to form water. No?
So what dictates the very sequence that are instructions that get decoded? Has anyone ever seen scrambled letters thrown only to land and form even a basic sentence?

Ps, if I am to ignore insults, how bout calling off the goons here? Although some posters are polite and is appreciated

I think you maybe be under a misapprehension about what is meant (in a scientific context) by 'laws'.  Again, they describe what happens, they don't dictate what happens.  Hydrogen and oxygen will get together in a certain way, irrespective of what the laws of science have to say about it.  By dint of hard work, very clever people have sussed out ways of expressing how this happens.

Suppose that tomorrow, all objects near the Earth's surface started accelerating at 8 m/s/s, instead of the more usual 9.8.  Scientists would start working out why this happened and would (given time and a bit of luck) come up with a set of equations to describe it.  If laws dictated the behavior of the universe, scientists would witness the change in acceleration and refuse to believe it.

I'm not authorized to 'call off the goons', and I have no way to enforce politeness.  If you feel someone has broken a Rule (and rudeness in and of itself doesn't count), you have every right to make a report.  Just be sure you cite which Rule you think has been broken.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 6, 2019 at 2:32 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: Boru, you are missing the point, there ARE laws that dictate how and why Hydrogen bonds w oxygen to form water. No?
So what dictates the very sequence that are instructions that get decoded? Has anyone ever seen scrambled letters thrown only to land and form even a basic sentence?

Ps, if I am to ignore insults, how bout calling off the goons here? Although some posters are polite and is appreciated

DNA sequences have endured time and hardship. Most of them were selected out since primordial times. This costed many "beings" their lives and this effect is still applying. DNA can replicate itself and by other mechanisms mutate, providing variation. Over 3 bilion years. Cumulatively, sequences of the molecule can better replicate in environmental stress, hence better suited, not by design, but from happenstance.

Meanwhile you disregard that DNA is an imperfect code, kids born with severe handicaps, etc.

You need to study a bit, to know what you are taking about and at least get some respect around here.
Scientific laws are indeed descriptions of the natural world. However, when someone (particularly non-scientists) talks about the laws of nature, it is understood they are referring to something more fundamental about nature that is independent of the verbiage of scientists.

Water is reducible to H2O precisely because there is something about the properties of those elements that dictates the larger properties of water.

This isn't my battle, I just don't see the point of trying so hard to misunderstand what people are saying. Proceed lol.
Mr. Potato Head,
How about you refrain from viewing the circumstances of life from the arrogant, and profoundly ignorant human perspective? There is absolutely nothing relevant or significant about the Earth, or any of the millions of lifeforms that inhabit it. Life, in all its majestic wonders, is simply nothing more than the combination of chemicals, pressure, and time. It just so happens that humans are just one result from the abundance of life this planet has beared. Human beings fear their own demise. They also desire eternity. Therefore, their conjured up salvation eases this fear. Just because there are elements of life that is beyond human understanding does not mean the existence of a wish granting magic sky daddy is the explanation.
(December 6, 2019 at 3:17 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Scientific laws are indeed descriptions of the natural world. However, when someone (particularly non-scientists) talks about the laws of nature, it is understood they are referring to something more fundamental about nature that is independent of the verbiage of scientists.

Water is reducible to H2O precisely because there is something about the properties of those elements that dictates the larger properties of water.

This isn't my battle, I just don't see the point of trying so hard to misunderstand what people are saying. Proceed lol.

But Yukon_Jack make this topic a science-based one, with his assertion that the nucleotide sequence doesn't follow the laws of science.  If he's going to invoke science, it seems perfectly reasonable to counter his claims on a scientific basis.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I hope that I fall into the goon category. 

I'm not sure what you expected YJ. Regurgitating creationist rhetoric that we've seen before is not new or unique on this forum. And when you don't take the time to get to know us and just start preaching, you've kind of set an unpleasant table for yourself.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Boru, I think you’re splitting hairs concerning the definition of law.
“Scientific laws (also known as natural laws) imply a cause and effect between the observed elements and must always apply under the same conditions.”
I use it to describe the way things are always known to happen say 2+2 will always =4. Water always boils when certain conditions are met. But there is nothing that governs the order of nucleotides and that in itself lies the mystery of how these instructions came about.

John 6IX, am I in agreement with you?

No one forced you to stroll in here and fling your verbal feces, but you did and now they are taking you to task for it.  Deal with it or better yet why don't you pray for them to let up?

Thoughts and Prayers. Ramen
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

@Yukon_Jack, you might want to watch/read all of this: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap-b...-formation

It gets interesting at RNA. But you should probably read/watch the whole thing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I love how the uneducated come here with this idea of "We have no idea how this is possible. There must be some kind of godly hand making this happen."

And then we educate them.

Sorry, no gods are needed. This is how it works.

The answer is never going to be a god.
It's going to be "We don't know .....yet, but in time we'll figure it out. We always do."
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2878 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are humans half aliens? Human DNA question Signa92 14 1952 December 30, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Brick Atheist moral code Void 45 15691 March 24, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: I Am Not A Human Being