Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 9:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Countdown to the next username change
RE: Countdown to the next username change
I begin my floor orientation at the new facility this weekend.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 19, 2022 at 10:34 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(August 19, 2022 at 10:19 pm)Tomato Wrote: Working tonight, maybe. This new facility where I have decided to work has a weird way of staffing. They overstaff on the schedule to ensure they have enough people, then if everyone shows up there's a list to follow to cancel aides and send them home. You can choose to refuse to be canceled, but if everyone refuses then it comes back around to you since it's your turn and you have to go home. From what I've been told, there's always someone who wants to go home, and if anyone's working a double they try to send those aides home first. I'm only working three nights a week, and I don't mind being canceled so long as I at least get to work two nights a week.

Man, that's a fucked-up system. The people at the place we hired to take care of my MiL had the same people M-F, with subs on the weekend, and the subs were every bit as good, with a couple of nit-picks, like they preferred to wipe her ass only with the moist wipes, as opposed to using toilet paper first. Our cost for this was minimal (we provided the wipes), but the couple who were there 5 days a week used to get on the weekend people about being wastrels.

Tell me about it. I ended up leaving the place before I was even there a month. Just decided to not show up for work. Did they call me to check up on me? Nope; just goes to show how much they care about their staff.

Anyhoo, tonight I start at a new facility.
~ Erin Hunter
Six months and two days till my ten year anniversary on this forum.
~ Erin Hunter
Nursing homes don't seem to care about facial piercings anymore.

Used to be the only universally acceptable one was the nose piercing (that's one piercing I never wanted, because I'm always blowing my nose). Lately, I've seen three nurses with lip piercings. When they lower their masks to drink something, their piercings are revealed, and no one cares. Maybe it's only acceptable right now because the piercings are covered by masks? Except that cannot be entirely true, because one aide had a piercing on her cheekbone where the mask can't cover it. One girl was thinking of getting her eyebrow pierced again, but that's one piercing I've not seen in the field. I guess piercings are just becoming more acceptable, though.
~ Erin Hunter
If I ran a nursing home, sanitary practices would be a priority. Piercings might present an issue that way, but I don't really know. I personally have been punctured many times in the course of my life (especially when I worked as a mechanic, which also involved getting burnt while welding, and crushing wounds, like the time I dropped a hot brake rotor on my foot, because it slipped out of the shop rags I was holding it in).
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(September 17, 2022 at 8:44 pm)Fireball Wrote: If I ran a nursing home, sanitary practices would be a priority. Piercings might present an issue that way, but I don't really know. I personally have been punctured many times in the course of my life (especially when I worked as a mechanic, which also involved getting burnt while welding, and crushing wounds, like the time I dropped a hot brake rotor on my foot, because it slipped out of the shop rags I was holding it in).

Well, for nursing homes it's always been about the presentability to elderly residents who are too old and traditional to be exposed to display of facial piercings. Never mind the fact that most of them can't see well anyway.
~ Erin Hunter
(September 17, 2022 at 8:51 pm)Tomato Wrote:
(September 17, 2022 at 8:44 pm)Fireball Wrote: If I ran a nursing home, sanitary practices would be a priority. Piercings might present an issue that way, but I don't really know. I personally have been punctured many times in the course of my life (especially when I worked as a mechanic, which also involved getting burnt while welding, and crushing wounds, like the time I dropped a hot brake rotor on my foot, because it slipped out of the shop rags I was holding it in).

Well, for nursing homes it's always been about the presentability to elderly residents who are too old and traditional to be exposed to display of facial piercings. Never mind the fact that most of them can't see well anyway.

Interesting. I worked in MilSatCom for decades, and at a fairly high level, in terms of the government officials involved. We had one (really smart) gal who had turquoise hair and piercings, and the customer(s) didn't bat an eye. Back in the '90s it was kind of surprising, but the old guard has seen some really good results in terms of tech with the younger people.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(September 17, 2022 at 9:18 pm)Fireball Wrote: Interesting. I worked in MilSatCom for decades, and at a fairly high level, in terms of the government officials involved. We had one (really smart) gal who had turquoise hair and piercings, and the customer(s) didn't bat an eye. Back in the '90s it was kind of surprising, but the old guard has seen some really good results in terms of tech with the younger people.

There are some nursing homes that are still rather prickly, probably in smaller towns, but even one around here that frowns upon unnaturally colored hair. But as we progress through the ages, rules are slowly changing.
~ Erin Hunter
Been successfully fighting the procrastination and writing.

It's something that needs to come out of me because it's been building up for a while.

It's supernaturally based, of course, involving the greatest main character I have ever created. Kitanetos. Nearly finished with the first chapter and might post it here.
~ Erin Hunter
Chapter One
The End

~ Erin Hunter