Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
(June 25, 2021 at 4:05 pm)brewer Wrote: Like I really need to report but, here it is, Chauvin gets 22.5 years.

That’s reasonable (no sarcasm).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 25, 2021 at 4:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Chauvin got 22 and a half years with time served. I think he should have gotten the full 40.

^^^^^ I just posted that.
(June 25, 2021 at 4:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 25, 2021 at 4:05 pm)brewer Wrote: Like I really need to report but, here it is, Chauvin gets 22.5 years.

That’s reasonable (no sarcasm).

Boru

Only required to serve 2/3. And the fed trial remains.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
How many want to bet if the roles were reversed a black man would have gotten a worse sentence?

I think Chauvin deserves a far stricter sentence than a civilian because he was in a position of public trust and abused it.

(June 25, 2021 at 4:15 pm)brewer Wrote:
(June 25, 2021 at 4:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That’s reasonable (no sarcasm).

Boru

Only required to serve 2/3. And the fed trial remains.

And hopefully he'll get additional time on the fed charges.

He may be required to only serve 2/3rds, but if family keeps showing up to any possible parole hearings, they can convince the board to keep him in prison.
(June 25, 2021 at 4:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 25, 2021 at 4:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Chauvin got 22 and a half years with time served. I think he should have gotten the full 40.

^^^^^ I just posted that.

So....... are you winning?
(June 25, 2021 at 4:17 pm)Brian37 Wrote: How many want to bet if the roles were reversed a black man would have gotten a worse sentence?

I think Chauvin deserves a far stricter sentence than a civilian because he was in a position of public trust and abused it.

(June 25, 2021 at 4:15 pm)brewer Wrote: Only required to serve 2/3. And the fed trial remains.

He may be required to only serve 2/3rds, but if family keeps showing up to any possible parole hearings, they can convince the board to keep him in prison.

You can’t impose a stricter sentence because some abused a public trust.

Even if he only serves 2/3 of the sentence, that’s still 15 years, which is exactly 15 years more than he could have gotten.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 25, 2021 at 4:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 25, 2021 at 4:17 pm)Brian37 Wrote: How many want to bet if the roles were reversed a black man would have gotten a worse sentence?

You can’t impose a stricter sentence because some abused a public trust.

Even if he only serves 2/3 of the sentence, that’s still 15 years, which is exactly 15 years more than he could have gotten.

Boru

Still not the point. If a civilian black person were charged with the same thing, they would have gotten a harsher sentence. 

I think you SHOULD get a harsher sentence if in a position of public trust.
(June 25, 2021 at 6:23 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 25, 2021 at 4:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You can’t impose a stricter sentence because some abused a public trust.

Boru

Still not the point. If a civilian black person were charged with the same thing, they would have gotten a harsher sentence. 

Bad comparison.
(June 25, 2021 at 6:27 pm)brewer Wrote:
(June 25, 2021 at 6:23 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Still not the point. If a civilian black person were charged with the same thing, they would have gotten a harsher sentence. 

Bad comparison.

How is it a bad comparison to know currently if a black person gets accused and or convicted for something comparable the black person is far more likely to be charged and fined more harshly? That isn't up for debate. That is fact.
(June 25, 2021 at 6:23 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 25, 2021 at 4:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You can’t impose a stricter sentence because some abused a public trust.

Boru

It’s the point you we’re making, so how is it not the point? I agree that it’s unjust that black people get harsher sentences than white people, but I was addressing your ‘public trust’ comment.

And it doesn’t matter beans what you think ‘should’ happen to Chauvin. I don’t see how you can advocate for a harsher sentence for him, while at the same time calling for lesser sentences for minorities. Isn’t that a double standard?

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4421 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 537 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1602 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37