Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 3:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
(October 31, 2021 at 1:29 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 12:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Elon Musk is offering a $100 million prize for a way to extract carbon from the atmosphere and store it durably and sustainably.

Trees, Elon. That’s what trees do. How do I collect?

Boru

Heard of forest fires?

And...?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 31, 2021 at 1:34 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 12:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Elon Musk is offering a $100 million prize for a way to extract carbon from the atmosphere and store it durably and sustainably.

Trees, Elon. That’s what trees do. How do I collect?

Boru

and.. wood rots!
Which releases methane - which is worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas...

If you want trees to keep the carbon long term - bury them deep..... Where over time they' ll form oil.....
(October 31, 2021 at 3:01 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 1:34 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: and.. wood rots!
Which releases methane - which is worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas...

If you want trees to keep the carbon long term - bury them deep..... Where over time they' ll form oil.....

I never cease to be impressed by how consistent you are in making ‘perfect’ the enemy of ‘better’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:hich releases methane - which is worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas...

The amount of methane from rotting trees is blown away by the amount of carbon trees absorb

(October 31, 2021 at 3:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:01 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Which releases methane - which is worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas...

I never cease to be impressed by how consistent you are in making ‘perfect’ the enemy of ‘better’.

Boru
Because his only solution to climate change is something we know doesn't work because it's based on the fallacy that fewer people means less consumption.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(October 31, 2021 at 3:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:01 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Which releases methane - which is worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas...

Boru
And it never fails to amaze me that you just beeeleeeve whatever is popular on the left........
(October 31, 2021 at 3:39 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I never cease to be impressed by how consistent you are in making ‘perfect’ the enemy of ‘better’.

Boru
And it never fails to amaze me that you just beeeleeeve whatever is popular on the left........

What, that trees make excellent carbon sinks? Yeah, sure went down THAT rabbit hole, didn’t I ?

Boru
(October 31, 2021 at 3:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:39 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: And it never fails to amaze me that you just beeeleeeve whatever is popular on the left........

What, that trees make excellent carbon sinks? Yeah, sure went down THAT rabbit hole, didn’t I ?

Boru

Storing carbon in trees is a bit like storing water by drinking beer.... It' s nice and enjoyable but it is a short term solution that needs constant upkeep....

Many species of trees have a shorter lifetime than humans. Then - when the tree dies you have two choices - let it rot - producing methane or burn it - releasing CO2.

It gets you nowhere in the long term.

Plus - you have to maintain trees - which takes energy...

If you simply plant trees like crazy - and don' t maintain the undergrowth you get huge piles of accumulated kindling.... It' s a big reason why the Western US has had so many uncontrolled fires. So what are you going to do with all that dead undergrowth? Burn it or let it rot? Either way the carbon eventually finds it' s way back into circulation....
Quote:Storing carbon in trees is a bit like storing water by drinking beer.... It' s nice and enjoyable but it is a short term solution that needs constant upkeep....
Yup and the upkeep can be done

Quote:Many species of trees have a shorter lifetime than humans. Then - when the tree dies you have two choices - let it rot - producing methane or burn it - releasing CO2.
Again the amount of methane or CO2 produced is insignificant to the amount absorbed 

Quote:It gets you nowhere in the long term.
Further then suggestions

Quote:And it never fails to amaze me that you just beeeleeeve whatever is popular on the left........
Or whatever is backed by science unlike any of your idea's

(October 31, 2021 at 3:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:39 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: And it never fails to amaze me that you just beeeleeeve whatever is popular on the left........

Boru
Damn science and it's fact-based approach to problems we should just trust OLBs "commonsense"
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(October 31, 2021 at 3:52 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What, that trees make excellent carbon sinks? Yeah, sure went down THAT rabbit hole, didn’t I ?

Boru

Storing carbon in trees is a bit like storing water by drinking beer.... It' s nice and enjoyable but it is a short term solution that needs constant upkeep....

Many species of trees have a shorter lifetime than humans. Then - when the tree dies you have two choices - let it rot - producing methane or burn it - releasing CO2.

If you simply plant trees like crazy - and don' t maintain the undergrowth you get huge piles of accumulated kindling.... It' s a big reason why the Western US has had so many uncontrolled fires.  So what are you going to do with all that dead undergrowth? Burn it or let it rot? Either way the carbon eventually finds it' s way back into circulation....

The idea is not to eliminated atmospheric carbon altogether (which would be disastrous), but to reduce or - ideally - to reverse the rate at which CO2 is added to the atmosphere. The goal is to balance the carbon cycle between releasing and sequestering carbon.

And I really do think that maintaining forests would be a helluva lot cheaper, both in economic and environmental terms, that the absolutely nutty idea of burying trees for tens of millions of years and hope they turn into oil.

Boru
(October 31, 2021 at 4:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 31, 2021 at 3:52 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Storing carbon in trees is a bit like storing water by drinking beer.... It' s nice and enjoyable but it is a short term solution that needs constant upkeep....

If you simply plant trees like crazy - and don' t maintain the undergrowth you get huge piles of accumulated kindling.... It' s a big reason why the Western US has had so many uncontrolled fires.  So what are you going to do with all that dead undergrowth? Burn it or let it rot? Either way the carbon eventually finds it' s way back into circulation....

The idea is not to eliminated atmospheric carbon altogether (which would be disastrous), but to reduce or - ideally - to reverse the rate at which CO2 is added to the atmosphere. The goal is to balance the carbon cycle between releasing and sequestering carbon.

And I really do think that maintaining forests would be a helluva lot cheaper, both in economic and environmental terms, that the absolutely nutty idea of burying trees for tens of millions of years and hope they turn into oil.

Boru
Or the nutty idea having fewer people will reduce greenhouse gases
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4461 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 538 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1606 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37