Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
Smile 
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(September 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm)Rational AKD Wrote: I never said nothing exists... I said mind is fundamental, ie, it exists but matter does not. I see no reason why you can't be conscious of concepts. after all, when I dream i'm not conscious of the physical world. i'm conscious of the contents of my dream. you can claim the dream is caused by material interactions, but the contents nonetheless are immaterial and I am conscious of them.
our minds do not affect this reality. but if you have a lucid dream, your mind can affect that. all that tells you, however, is our mind is not dreaming up the world. it comes from something external to our mind, which could be a different mind...

if by real you mean the world is outside my mind; then yes, I consider the world real. but that doesn't mean the world isn't derived from a mind external to my own. in other words, I consider the world functionally real but not objectively real. the world doesn't exist beyond perception, but you can use it to interact with other minds who are all experiencing the same world just as you are.

Firstly thank you for offering this clarification, it helps my understanding of your position.  

"I said mind is fundamental, ie, it exists but matter does not".  I think you are trying to take us down a false dichotomy here ie mind or matter.  I am agnostic on materalism (depending on your definition of it).  Yes I think minds are dependent on brains and physical causal processes.  Do I know what the nature of matter is below the brain, molecule, atom, sub-atomic particles - no I do not and neither does anyone else.  The best explanation I have heard is quantum field theory, but until I have a better understanding (which I may never have) I have suspend judgement on materialism.  However, I have never heard anyone need to invoke magic, mysticism, supernaturalism, the immaterial to explain the true nature of reality.  It could be that matter is "condensed energy" from fields, but they are still part of nature and have a physically measurable existence.  To state matter does not exist, goes beyond our knowledge and is contrary to everything we currently know.

"I see no reason why you can't be conscious of conceptsafter all, when I dream i'm not conscious of the physical world. i'm conscious of the contents of my dream....but the contents nonetheless are immaterial and I am conscious of them."  I agree you can be conscious of concepts and I would go further to assert that those concepts can be objective.  When you dream you are not conscious (it is the very definition of dreaming).  Your sub-conscious is aware of the contents of your dream of course and is able to pick up sensory input from its environment, access and replay memories and create new memories and connections.  I would claim that these are well understood by medical science and are not mysterious.  Labelling the contents as immaterial adds nothing to this.  What do you mean? What is immaterial? If you mean not material then you only define what it is not, and not what it is.  It is therefore meaningless.  Matter however can be shown to exist (even though we do not know what its true nature really is at the smallest scale).  Here I think you may be trying the wrongly sever the link between things with no independent physical existence (dreams) and things with independent physical existence (brains), and then concrete out abstractions (like contents of dreams) as real existents, which they are not.  The contents of your dream may "exist" but only as an emergent property of physical processes.  Alter those physical processes and the "existence" of those contents change or disappear.

"it comes from something external to our mind, which could be a different mind...".  This is special pleading and mystical thinking.  Minds are minds if one mind can control reality then so can any other.  I think you are arguing towards the extra special mind of a god and nothing you have said can remotely get us to that without special pleading.  If you are arguing minds can control reality then of course you are now entering the realm of make-believe and mysticism, which for me I'm afriad is woo-woo.

"I consider the world functionally real but not objectively real".  This is just false, infact it is not even false but meaninglessness.  Reality is real or it is not.  It is objectively real or not.  There is no "functionally real".  This is the same as saying I live in a fantasy of either my creation or someone elses.

So again I return to the same topics.  Under idealism is:

- "apparently" blowing your brains out detrimental to your existence?
- "apparently" deliberately driving a car into a crowd immoral?"
- if you are Xtian and idealist, does that not deny Xtian theology and is thus self refuting (given its realiance on bodily death and ressurection as atonement and hope)
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Captain Scarlet - September 17, 2015 at 3:10 am
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1726 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3738 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1167 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7491 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 296 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12479 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 45468 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5243 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4712 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 16080 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus