Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options?
RE: Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options?
(October 2, 2015 at 4:35 am)Psychonaut Wrote: I've heard quite commonly, that if you're not a theist, you're an atheist, and vice versa. I've also been told there is no in between, as you either believe something, or you don't, but is that necessarily so? I'm not speaking of agnosticism (defined by one's ability to know whether god exists, which is a different question). 

What if I'm not certain that I believe in one or the other? I mean, I'm only certain of the experiences that I have. Beyond that, I have no certainty.

Is it because "belief" is an experience, and "lack of belief" another experience, that people say these things?
I don't exactly know why there is no middle position, when my experience would accurately be described as "uncertain of belief".
I at times feel as though I am an atheist, and at one point in my life I was a theist, but now, I am completely uncertain of my beliefs.
I don't know if my belief reflects that of theism or atheism, because I don't know if I have enough information to believe in anything, despite this, I manage to maintain some beliefs, such as: 

The belief in an outside world, the belief in other minds, and the belief in a stable, quantifiable universe. 

I'm sorry if this was winding and confusing, but this is the state of affairs in my brain. 
I'm also sorry if this has been asked before, and I've accidentally overlooked it.

What are your thoughts on this?
Maybe your one of those awesome ordinary "Who cares?" kinda people who just eats sandwiches while everyone in the room is yelling and shitting at each other.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? - by bambi_swag - October 2, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 4095 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The Scripture Is False And The Biblical God Is Dead. Authari 301 23702 January 27, 2023 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6619 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2170 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1959 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2225 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2359 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3145 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1560 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5877 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke