Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm...
How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm...
Just maybe... God exists and I'm going to hell?

I'm convinced he doesn't exist but I was wondering what you all have to say about this weird guilt of mine of thinking that maybe, just maybe, God exists and I'll end up in hell when I die.

I ask honestly because I wanna get rid of these superstitious bullshit in my brain.
RE: How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm...
Relinquishing the leeching ties of indoctrination can be a challenge for some people.

It is with time that you will one day look back and wonder at how you couldn't shake it sooner.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm...
(October 11, 2022 at 12:25 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: Just maybe... God exists and I'm going to hell?

I'm convinced he doesn't exist but I was wondering what you all have to say about this weird guilt of mine of thinking that maybe, just maybe, God exists and I'll end up in hell when I die.

I ask honestly because I wanna get rid of these superstitious bullshit in my brain.
If you wind up in hell then you wind up in hell. But it's better to burn due to honest disbelief than to live this brief span we call life in fear of something you don't really believe in.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I don't worry about gods or hell for the same reason I don't worry about goblins and evil pixies, it never crosses my mind.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

You acknowledge that there is no evidence for the existence of God but not hell.

Guess what, there is absolutely no evidence that hell exists or any form of afterlife that current religions preach.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(October 11, 2022 at 12:25 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: Just maybe... God exists and I'm going to hell?

This same question could be asked by any believer. What if medieval Catholicism is true, and with that, Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus, and with it, all Protestants are damned to eternal Hell, along with all Jews, heretics or schismatics (Russian Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox)?
(October 11, 2022 at 5:53 am)Jehanne Wrote:

This same question could be asked by any believer. What if medieval Catholicism is true, and with that, Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus, and with it, all Protestants are damned to eternal Hell, along with all Jews, heretics or schismatics (Russian Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox)?

Very good point. Wow.

I was a protestant before abandoning the Christian faith...
(October 11, 2022 at 6:12 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote:
(October 11, 2022 at 5:53 am)Jehanne Wrote: This same question could be asked by any believer. What if medieval Catholicism is true, and with that, Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus, and with it, all Protestants are damned to eternal Hell, along with all Jews, heretics or schismatics (Russian Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox)?

Very good point. Wow.

I was a protestant before abandoning the Christian faith...

And, Hell has levels, too! Which means that you dropped from the Heretic level to the Apostate level. Congrats.

This god you hope exist is an Omni god, correct?

This god knows in advance, before deciding to birth you, that you will doubt it’s existence and refuses to give you or anyone definitive proof of it’s existence, right?  

Still it allowed you to be birth, against your pretend FREE WILL, to a place in the world you may not have wanted to live and to parents you had no FREE WILL to choose from.

Since it’s clear you really have no free will with the god thing then why would you believe you have a choice if you’re going to heaven or hell?

I cannot conceive of an omniscient, omnibenevolent, omnipotent, omnirighteous god who would punish someone for making an honest mistake.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4296 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 12976 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3013 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5541 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 78064 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5202 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 29770 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22060 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 14865 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 46938 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician