Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 3:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(October 16, 2015 at 3:44 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(October 15, 2015 at 8:23 pm)bennyboy Wrote: The difference is that I have direct access to the experience of ideas, and therefore choose idealism as the most sensible default position. 
Ital is mine.  May as well start here.  Why did you make me do that, you knew you'd said it just as well as I did......your "therefore" is a comp fallacy, end of.  Your continued defense of that same comp fallacy by it's constant invocation as both the impetus for your acceptance of idealism and as a criticism of materialism...is inexplicable, and irrational.
Really? We, as humans, have interacted with what % of the universe, according to you? And yet, we have the Big Bang theory, and established rules of physics, and it is your position that ALL OF REALITY is founded on these rules, is it not? You claim it must be turtles, all the way down and in every conceivable direction, do you not? This is because you know of nothing else, and extend what you know into the unknown.

What color pot are you? (hint, it reflects no visible light)

Quote:Now, If materialism is not true (or cannot be true), then materialism is not fundamental to all reality.  If materialism is not fundamental to all reality (or cannot be fundamental) - then materialism is not true......because materialism is a position regarding what is fundamental to reality........................are you going to need me to quote you on this as well, btw?   Do you actually think I'm going to let you bullshit me, when I can just scroll a few pages back?  Who the fuck am I talking to?
My view of positions, and of reality, is broader than yours. I think that materialism is a sensible position, but only in a certain context: that of experiences which are both consistent and sharable with other humans. The experience of mind is not sharable, and is not well described by materialism. The world of QM, taken on the basis of individual particles, isn't really consistent, and is therefore not well described as matter-- though for now, you seem to be willing enough to describe mathematical functions as "material" so long as they are roughly positioned in time and space.

So no, I don't demand that all reality be describable by materialism for that position to have value. And that is why I say that idealism subsumes materialism. Of all the ideas we can have, some of them are about experiences which are consistent and sharable.

Quote:No, Benny, I'm not confusing anything, and I'm no more beholden now to explain upon what -if anything, wave functions supervene.  No more so than the last time you tried this route.  If I could explain that would not prove you wrong, if I could not it would not prove you right.  You are hoisting a flag of bad logic, right now - all sails...guns run out, why?  The last time you asked a question like this you were supplied with -exactly- the answer you claimed to be looking for...but having been given that answer, you persisted in it's negation.   I think you ask these questions as a way of deflecting with no intention of ever altering your position even if your demands are met.
I sense a disturbance in the force. We are about to move from argument to cat memes, amirite?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by bennyboy - October 16, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1723 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3720 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1148 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7437 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 295 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12397 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 45355 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5231 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4704 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15995 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus