Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 6:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity
(February 14, 2016 at 2:22 am)Huggy74 Wrote: Again, you should be addressing the OP not me. I thought I made it very clear that they were different.

You most certainly are not saying that evolution and abiogenesis are different.  You said that evolution and creationism are different, which is correct.  You followed that up with saying that evolution doesn't explain how life came to exist, which is also correct.

So again you looked like Dr. Chuck "I have a PhD* so let me talk to you about evolution and quantum mechanics" Missler.

*In mechanical engineering.

Quote:First of all, where did I mention abiogenisis?

You never did, and that's the problem.  From what I can tell, you seem to think that abiogenesis is a subfield of evolution, which is why you seem to think you had your bases covered by saying that evolution doesn't explain how life came to exist.

Quote:Secondly there is a reason I used ellipses in my post, and in case you don't know what ellipses are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis#cite_note-1

Being condescending when you are wrong in every aspect.  LOL.

Quote:I put the ellipses there to show that I could go further into explanation, but the main point was that presenting creationism and evolution as if it's one side or the other is inaccurate, bringing up abiogenisis doesn't change that fact.

When did I say the two are mutually exclusive?  I said evolution is not about the origin of life.  If you want to further explain how wrong you are, by all means, indulge us.

Quote:You do realize that whale fossils have been found on top of mountain ranges right?

But of course science will put their own spin on it and say the mountain must of rose up really, really fast from the sea instead of admitting that the bible may have been correct on the earth being covered by water because of their system of peer pressu... uh peer review.

I just don't understand how you believe in evolution and the flood.  But I'll give it a try.  Tell me if this accurately represents your model:

In the beginning God created the universe, and this was necessary because there must have been a first cause, except it wasn't necessary for there to be a first cause to create God.  Nine billion years later the earth formed, and about a billion years after that God created the initial self-replicating molecule which would gradually phase into a living colony after a series of chain reactions.  God's interaction was necessary here because such a self-replicating molecule cannot spontaneously spawn in nature.  Then the process of evolution followed, and while Adam and Eve therefore did not exist in any literal sense, the same narrative which is figurative becomes at some point literally true without any indication (in text, tone, or otherwise) that such a shift has occurred.  In this literal narrative we see that there was a man who lived for 600+ years, constructed an ark, and summoned two/seven of each creature from all over the planet (including the ones that couldn't swim and had to cross oceans). Then enough water to flood the earth up to the highest mountains came from nowhere in particular (to which it would later return), and somehow the freshwater fish survived despite their environments being poisonously contaminated with brine.  Later, men constructed the Tower of Babel, and God, feeling encroached by the tower, confused their language (even though language continued to evolve from there).

Is there anything that I left out or misrepresented?

Quote:You're thinking of the modern definition of species, I made it clear the bible defines a species as one that can produce fertile offspring.

That is the modern definition of a species.

Quote:A genus would probably be closer to the biblical definition of what the bible means a species to be.

[Image: 8c7fb0c92a.png]

My only curiosity at this point is if you have the backbone and humility to admit you're wrong, or if you are similar to Drich in that regard.  My money is on the latter since you came at me with that condescending tone as if I didn't know what ellipses were.

Quote:So if Noah were to take 2 animals from each genus, you get the picture.

Yeah I get the picture.  One of the eight people on board drew the short straw and had to be the carrier for all human-infectious diseases on earth (except HIV because God made that one later to punish them homosexuals), even though they did not know such things existed.  So this person, being contagious, had to be quarantined yet somehow kept alive (I'm picturing a Silence of the Lambs type of thing where the person is kept in a pit and they lower stuff down in a bucket) and then when they were back on dry land they had to split up into a healthy group that would interbreed and a less healthy group that would also incestuously interbreed but had the additional task of ensuring the survival of the diseases that they didn't even know existed.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.

Messages In This Thread
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Nihilist Virus - February 14, 2016 at 2:33 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 12:49 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 10:47 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 12:46 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why your prayers often, if not always fail Drich 18 1844 February 12, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 21281 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 6093 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15965 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9941 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7091 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Will the influence of religion always exist in my life GoHalos1993 12 3841 November 27, 2015 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  So, once shown how, Peter was always able to walk on water ? vorlon13 38 7156 November 8, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are Evolution and Christianity Completely Incompatible? SamS 93 17893 July 15, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8581 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce