Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the influence of religion always exist in my life
Will the influence of religion always exist in my life
Technically I'm agnostic, however, I have been leaning towards full on atheist. Lets just say I really don't think there's a God and don't think it really makes any sense at all. 

But anyways, I grew up in the Mormon faith. Nothing against the religion itself, I just honestly believe that religion is more used as a way to control the masses. My parents are good members of the church and probably some of the most tolerant and accepting Christians. They know that I only go to church for an hour every Sunday and are fine with it. But I always get worried if I tell them I don't believe in God what they'll do. I mean they're tolerant and are smart people. They're both lawyers for crying out loud. LOL

I tried this one website called ex-mormon.org but that website is just full of bitter former members who seem to just hate the Mormon faith. I'm not interested in finding another religion; I just want to kind of move away from it. I'm a 22 year old community college student still living at home. I am transferring to a 4 year in Jan of 2016 so maybe that's when I should tell my parents I just don't believe in God anymore?

I don't know...I had a best friend and she stopped being friends with me just because I told her I didn't believe in God anymore. She apparently wanted to only hangout with "worthy" return Missionaries who are wanting to get married in the temple. Keep in mind the weeks leading up to this she was sexting me and we were drinking quite a bit. 

I really just don't know what to do. HELP Sad Dodgy
RE: Will the influence of religion always exist in my life
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through Sad

In my opinion, anyone whose friendship with you is dependent on believing in a load of supernatural garbage is no loss. If they can't like/love you for who you are, then you're betting of finding people who will.

It becomes more difficult when it's family. Although religion is not an issue, I hide many facets of myself from my parents because they live in a different kind of delusion. They simply can't handle any form of truth, and so I give them as little of it as they need to know. It's about weighing up how much it matters to you to be able to be open and honest with family, versus what kind of reaction you think you'll get; and how much you care about such a reaction. If you think they'll go mental for example and even disown you, as an extreme example, how much would that matter to you?

Sadly I'm still financially dependent on my parents and so I literally can't afford to tell them the truth. Otherwise I would.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Telling them as your leaving sounds like it could get messy. They may feel as if they've lost complete control and have no avenue to address it, with you basically heading out the door. They may decide to address the situation through financial means.
Pretty much anything you grew up with as a child is going to follow you for most if not all of your life. Especially if you still live around those kind of people. It's just a part of life. There are help groups, though, and the internet is great for otherwise isolated individuals.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Were here to talk if you need us Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Why say anything?  The only possible good it will do is show you who your friends are  and who are the ones who are just conformist assholes.  You've already seen once how that works out.

College is a time for moving away anyhow.  Use it.  You don't have to stand on the kitchen table and shout "Joey Smith was a lying shit" ( even though he was).  Sometimes you need to do a cost/benefit analysis and just go off and do your own thing.
You don't have to stand on the kitchen table and shout "Joey Smith was a lying shit

lol
If your parents are reasonable, not in ministry, and/or not that devout, then you probably won't rock your own boat too much by telling them. I keep a lid on it because my dad is a preacher, so I'm pretty confident he would spend the rest of his life trying to re-convert me. He's kind of old and we have a good working relationship overall, so I'm not inclined to inflict knowledge of my atheism on him or my mom.

I lived in Salt Lake City, Utah, for 9 years of my childhood. It's my understanding that Mormons emphasize abstaining from birth control but place less emphasis on abstaining from sex. What that supposedly does is create situations where girls are willing to have sex but not willing to use contraception, resulting in a pregnancy and a marriage of necessity for which the man must convert to Mormonism. There is some speculation that the church (at some level) creates this dynamic on purpose with the intent of using Mormon girls' sexuality as a conversion tool.

If or how often that actually happens, I honestly don't know, but having all that in mind leaves me completely unsurprised about your friend's response. She was basically telling you "Oh yeah? Well, if you still wanna get with THIS, you'd better be an exemplary little Mormon boy."

What I really find amusing, though, is that she was getting shitty with you about not following her religion when she's violating the ever-important "Word of Life" by drinking alcohol with you.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(November 26, 2015 at 4:32 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: Technically I'm agnostic, however, I have been leaning towards full on atheist. Lets just say I really don't think there's a God and don't think it really makes any sense at all. 

But anyways, I grew up in the Mormon faith. Nothing against the religion itself, I just honestly believe that religion is more used as a way to control the masses. My parents are good members of the church and probably some of the most tolerant and accepting Christians. They know that I only go to church for an hour every Sunday and are fine with it. But I always get worried if I tell them I don't believe in God what they'll do. I mean they're tolerant and are smart people. They're both lawyers for crying out loud. LOL

I tried this one website called ex-mormon.org but that website is just full of bitter former members who seem to just hate the Mormon faith. I'm not interested in finding another religion; I just want to kind of move away from it. I'm a 22 year old community college student still living at home. I am transferring to a 4 year in Jan of 2016 so maybe that's when I should tell my parents I just don't believe in God anymore?

I don't know...I had a best friend and she stopped being friends with me just because I told her I didn't believe in God anymore. She apparently wanted to only hangout with "worthy" return Missionaries who are wanting to get married in the temple. Keep in mind the weeks leading up to this she was sexting me and we were drinking quite a bit. 

IF their were a God out there would you want to know about Him?

If no then just let everything go.

If yes I would let your religion God and seek Him yourself. Look for real truth and follow it Honestly where ever it may lead. Not an Agnostic truth or an Atheist truth, Mormon truth, or any other brand of religious truth. Look to find God by what God Himself told us to do to find Him. See what happens.
(November 27, 2015 at 12:07 pm)Drich Wrote:
(November 26, 2015 at 4:32 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: Technically I'm agnostic, however, I have been leaning towards full on atheist. Lets just say I really don't think there's a God and don't think it really makes any sense at all. 

IF their were a God out there would you want to know about Him?

If no then just let everything go.

If yes I would let your religion God and seek Him yourself. Look for real truth and follow it Honestly where ever it may lead. Not an Agnostic truth or an Atheist truth, Mormon truth, or any other brand of religious truth. Look to find God by what God Himself told us to do to find Him. See what happens.

Shhhh don't pander your religious propaganda to the new guy.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 37423 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 2968 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why your prayers often, if not always fail Drich 18 1785 February 12, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Drich
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12318 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 45290 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
Video He does exist...... ronedee 33 4583 May 7, 2016 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Ignorant apologetics aside, your god does not exist. Foxaèr 10 2501 April 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity LadyForCamus 201 42480 February 27, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Did Jesus exist? Jehanne 374 42438 February 13, 2016 at 9:21 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Proof that god does not exist Foxaèr 42 13368 December 4, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0