Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity
(February 18, 2016 at 12:15 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I'll fix this for you:  Beliefs, opinions, and speculations may change on a whim regardless of facts or evidence because they, by their very nature, are not contingent upon them.
More attempts at obfuscating my point.

An opinion that isn't based on any evidence is what is called an UNINFORMED opinion. However an INFORMED opinion, one based on facts, is subject to change in light of new evidence.

Got it?
(February 18, 2016 at 12:15 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
Quote:What is not subject to change under any circumstance is truth.  What's true will ALWAYS remain true, any new evidence will corroborate the truth, not change it.

Correct!  And the only way to determine the truth to the highest degree of certainty possible is the scientific method.   What you don't get to say is, "this two thousand-year-old book is the truth because God said it is, and the bible is the word of God."  Sorry.  That in no way is evidence of any truth.  

Discovery; revelation (dare I say) of our universe is a process.  The fact that the scientific method is by its very design a self-correcting machine, makes it the most accurate tool for gathering facts and evidence about the world we live in.  Facts and evidence lead to the truth, or as close to the truth as we can come.  Your pointing out of instances where science has come to an incorrect conclusion actually bolsters my point, not yours.  The difference between science and religion is that science is willing to say, "this isn't quite right.  We are going to keep working until we get the answer that best reflects reality."  Religion just screams by fiat, "this IS the truth, because it IS!" over, and over until people want to puke (namely me).

And science is why we are here in this world today.  This is why we have modern medicine, and the longest life span our species has ever seen.   Do you go to the doctor when you are sick, Huggy?  If your physician offers you the most cutting-edge treatment with the maximum possible efficacy, are you going to turn him down because "science is wrong all the time and everything is just a theory"?  Will you seek a cure in the pages of your book?  I seriously doubt it.

Tell me, Huggy:  if science is such a joke to you, why do you try so hard to reconcile its findings with your holy book?  

Did you miss the part in my post where I stated "one can benefit from both science AND spirituality? Or did you purposefully ignore that in order to pigeon-hole me into your idea of a "theist".

Just like creationism and evolution, spirituality and science aren't mutually exclusive either. Science does not deal with spiritual matters, neither does the spiritual deal with the natural. Nowhere does the bible tell you not to utilize doctors, it's when medicine fails then you have a right to go directly to God.

Here is testimony from a lady who claims to have been Divinely healed after science told her it was impossible for her to have a baby. What's unique about this video is that the original audio from 1958 is included at the end which corroborates her testimony.

Explain that.

Quote:link http://www.livescience.com/21491-what-is...heory.html

Facts and theories are two different things. In the scientific method, there is a clear distinction between facts, which can be observed and/or measured, and theories, which are scientists’ explanations and interpretations of the facts.

No, you're right, I shouldn't have linked you to anything that would require you to critically think.  I'm sorry, I should know better by now.

Definitions don't require critical thought.

Your own article states that theories ARE NOT facts, which was my original point.
Quote:My whole point is that scientific FACT corroborates what the bible has been saying, it doesn't disprove it, the bible told you time was relative long before the theory of relativity

LOL!  Are you kidding me?  

2 Peter 3:8 - But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

This is no way Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, lol.   Science doesn't corroborate the bible.  You just happened to retrospectively find vague, and poetic prose from the bible that doesn't particularly contradict the scientific theory that you already know about.  Thanks to the scientific method.. And Einstein.

I said the bible stated that time was relative, you know as in time being different in relation from one thing to another. "One day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." States exactly that fact.

Quote:Evolution is a fact in so much that each creature evolves after its "kind", cats evolve from cats and dogs from dogs, But the idea that we all evolved from some primordial soup is pure conjecture.

Your understanding of evolutionary biology is incorrect, and I suspect willfully ignorant, but that has been demonstrated in this thread already.  You just refuse to acknowledge it.   Www://talkorigins.org.  You're welcome.

I'm welcome for what exactly? For you posting a website that was at the center of the same debate a year ago?

(February 13, 2015 at 12:50 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 13, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Natachan Wrote: "and by species, I mean from one animal into another, "

Someone is moving their goal posts. I love seeing these new flying goal posts, can I buy them at Academy?

(February 13, 2015 at 12:24 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: I suppose I'd better include the quote or I'd be accused of "moving the goal posts"
http://atheistforums.org/thread-24368-po...#pid618632
Called it.
I was saying this a year ago btw, that why I included the link...

Guess you don't realize there are multiple definitions of "species"

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-spec...html#part2
from robvalue's link

Quote:2.0 Species Definitions

A discussion of speciation requires a definition of what constitutes a species. This is a topic of considerable debate within the biological community. Three recent reviews in the Journal of Phycology give some idea of the scope of the debate (Castenholz 1992, Manhart and McCourt 1992, Wood and Leatham 1992). There are a variety of different species concept currently in use by biologists. These include folk, biological, morphological, genetic, paleontological, evolutionary, phylogenetic and biosystematic definitions. In the interest of brevity, I'll only discuss four of these -- folk, biological, morphological and phylogenetic. A good review of species definitions is given in Stuessy 1990.

Messages In This Thread
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 12:49 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 10:47 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 12:46 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Huggy Bear - February 18, 2016 at 2:52 pm
RE: It's Always Sunny - evolution versus Christianity - by Chas - February 26, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why your prayers often, if not always fail Drich 18 1859 February 12, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 21518 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 6312 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 16088 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9989 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7133 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Will the influence of religion always exist in my life GoHalos1993 12 3846 November 27, 2015 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  So, once shown how, Peter was always able to walk on water ? vorlon13 38 7186 November 8, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are Evolution and Christianity Completely Incompatible? SamS 93 17971 July 15, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8591 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce