Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard?
RE: What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard?
(February 19, 2016 at 5:26 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(February 19, 2016 at 3:08 pm)AAA Wrote: It's not new information that mutation rates are too low, but that is always just brushed aside. Also, the greater number of proteins than genes is more due to alternate exon splicing than epigenetic factors (although I suspect we will find that even these two phenomena influence each other). It is another mechanism to control gene expression. 

Also, I never said that all mutations are harmful, you built a straw-man. And I don't think you can say 1% good mutations. That is not likely even close. 

Also just because a mutation occurs in the non-coding region of DNA doesn't mean it won't affect the person. Almost all of that DNA is transcribed, and plays a role in regulation. You change the sequence, you change the ability to bind with specificity, you change the ability to regulate things well.

I realize that my wording may be read to imply that I meant epigenetic expression was the reason behind the difference between protein count and gene count; that's not what I meant to say... only that among the factors that complicated the picture was the recently-verified field of epigenetics, in addition to the splicing variations we knew about already back in 1999 but did not fully realize the significance of before the whole picture was in. I was taking my 300-level genetics course when the HGP published its results... it was a very exciting year, as was my senior year.

There are many forms of transcription and coding methods; I think you're referring to the eukaryotic (and some viruses) process, by which introns are spliced out after being copied. Nevertheless, the majority of intron regions are "place-holders", and the actual sequence of DNA there does not affect the process, meaning that a mutation typically goes unnoticed. Don't be disingenuous when you present these facts; it will harm you in academia. On the other hand, if your goal is to finish college with a biochem degree so you can go on to work at the Creation Institute™, then you're well on your way.

As for the "not enough/no beneficial mutations" meme that various Creationists (oh, I'm sorry, Intelligent Design-ists) have been tirelessly pumping out, it's just wrong. The effect has been well-studied, and continues to be studied. (I recommend the links to other related articles, at the side of that article.) You're right that I picked 1% as a "round number", but that's irrelevant to my point here, as I also picked one million as my number of bacteria in a mL of water, and you should know how ridiculously understated that one is, in nutrient-rich environments where reproduction of bacteria would be occurring. In other words, I used round numbers to give an easy-to-grasp figure, and you muffed it.

So I'll start again. The rate of mutation is roughly one in ten million... so if 99% of those are harmful, and a percent of them are beneficial, then the number of beneficial mutations is one in a billion. Sound fair? Since the number of bacteria in ONE MILLILITER of a rich environment like saliva is 100 million, that means one genuine beneficial mutation in every ten generations. How long does it take to have ten generations in a bacterial colony? Yup!

Even if you change the percent of beneficial mutations a few orders of magnitude up or down, it doesn't change the basic calculus, since I'm talking about one droplet of water.
Well introns aren't always placeholders. Many times when they are spliced out, they just get degraded and their parts are reused, but some go on to regulate other DNA sequences. 

I still think that your 99% harmful is too generous, but you're right, if we were looking at more than 1 ml , they might add up.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard? - by AAA - February 19, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2225 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2011 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2270 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1574 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 12145 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 26396 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6718 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13398 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 21287 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Occam's Razor, atheism, theism and polytheism. Jehanne 74 17335 February 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic