Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 6, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austrian Economics
RE: Austrian Economics
(April 27, 2011 at 10:10 am)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: One of the failings of the libertarian school of thought on economics that I've been trying to communicate for some time to theVoid (and yes, I still understand that you're not a laissez-faire capitalist) and others involved the laissez-faire capitalist movement is the fact that it does nothing to prevent capitalists and plutocrats from gaming the system and winning.

American history is rife with this very thing (the railroad companies of the 19th and early 20th century) and Standard Oil and their price fixing once they had market dominance.
Pharma and health insurance companies are the modern examples.

There is just no one around to protect the population against big business from ruling the population authoritatively given the libertarian position of minimal influence of the economy. All it does is allow companies to make 'devil deals' where the enforced contracts are vague and always favor the company's bottom line, assuming there are any contracts at all.
Agreed, and I thankyou for helping to clarify some positions. I think another problem that I have been personally having with void is that when he says "austrian school" the first thing I think of is "laissez-faire capitalist" or "Market anarchy". Sometimes I can avoid that line of thought, but I cant help having a hard time distinguishing the three because the differences in my point of view between them is slim to none. I am sure void can point out the differences so I can spot them better.

In the end I feel the differences would probably not make much of a change for me. Call me biased. I feel that in the real world, if we were to switch to any of those systems, it would do nothing more than hand ALL of the power to those who already have the money. It would actually HURT people who are trying to climb up the ladder legitimately and would establish a full scale plutocracy. We have a plutocracy of sorts in America right now, and it is difficult to aviod such a thing unless we went full scale communist (whihc I also oppose). The difference in my opinion being that we have laws and regulations that allow people such as I to move up the ladder and not be hindered as much as would if the corporations were unleashed completely.

I know it sounds funny, but I think you cant have a true free market without good regulations. Remove the regulations and you insure that those in power will do everything they can to knock down the competition in favor of unchanging protectionism for the corporation.

Messages In This Thread
Austrian Economics - by reverendjeremiah - April 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm
RE: Austrian Economics - by reverendjeremiah - April 26, 2011 at 12:19 am
RE: Austrian Economics - by reverendjeremiah - April 27, 2011 at 7:37 am
RE: Austrian Economics - by TheDarkestOfAngels - April 27, 2011 at 10:10 am
RE: Austrian Economics - by reverendjeremiah - April 27, 2011 at 10:26 am
RE: Austrian Economics - by reverendjeremiah - May 1, 2011 at 3:34 pm
RE: Austrian Economics - by reverendjeremiah - May 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Now Who Knew Economics Could Be So "Complicated?" Minimalist 2 829 April 9, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Bar stool economics Heywood 35 4770 November 13, 2014 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  The Worst School of Economics EgoRaptor 3 1328 January 28, 2014 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  sceptical economics. jonb 6 1540 January 17, 2013 at 4:39 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Grinch Economics Tobie 1 1373 April 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Economics book recommendations Justtristo 3 2008 February 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: RW_9
  Conservative/Libertarian economics and anthropic global warming popeyespappy 11 4718 May 9, 2011 at 2:24 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Austrian economics ftw! theVOID 6 2583 December 24, 2010 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Jaysyn